Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » First Annual Film-Tech awards!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: First Annual Film-Tech awards!!!
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-15-2002 02:01 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all. Dave here.

With the help of Brad the film god of all he surveys, we will have the first annual film tech awards!!! After all, Talk is cheap, and so am I.

While I have many categories already in mind, I would like to get suggestions from the rest of you. ANY SUGGESTION IS A GOOD ONE. These awards will be less about seriousness, and more about our having to put up with so much crap that is doled out to us with or without our consent.

We of course also want to recognize totally positive achievements in film as well.

As a courtesy, please do not discuss any actual MOVIES on this particular forum, instead use it for Q and A regarding the awards themselves.

The ballots will be emailed out to all film tech members close to the first of the year, or perhaps after it. Ballots will have to be returned by FEBURARY ONE, 2003.

The awards will be announce at SHOWEST in March 2003. After showest is over, the awards will be posted here. If you want to hear them live you have to come to the FILM TECH FISH AND MARTINI FEST at showest.

Winners and or in many cases LOSERS will be given either a really nice certificate or in the losers cases will be given a cheaply copied version with the losers name drawn in crayon by my seven year old daughter.

I am going to limit the number of categories, but would like to very much like to hear what categories you all as members would like to see.

SO far I have....

Worst Vin Diesel movie of the year,
Best Vin Diesel movie of the year... (both count as losers)...
Worst waste of time if you paid money to see this movie award...

and so on...

Let's see what you all can come up with??

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-15-2002 04:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of minor things.

There will be no FISH and martini. Martini sure (that way Bob will certainly join us), but this year I say we make it COW and martini night.

Second, I will send a Film-Tech T shirt to the winner, and all losers will get a genuine email they can print.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2002 11:36 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, I am confused.

See? ---->

What are the awards for? Like, if "XXX" wins "Worst Vin Diesel Movie" then does Vin Diesel get a film-tech shirt??

quote:
These awards will be less about seriousness, and more about our having to put up with so much crap that is doled out to us with or without our consent.

Still confused.

Will people win the award if they are the ones that choose the winner of the category? Will people win if they submit a category and something wins for it? Is the winner the person who votes for the most correct/winners in the entire contest? If that's the case, couldn't everyone collaborate and vote for the same thing and that way everyone gets a film-tech shirt? What is a horse shoe? What does a horse shoe do? Are there any horse socks? Is anybody listening to me???

=TMP=

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-15-2002 11:48 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most Actual Paid Admissions By A Film-Techer Remember, it's people like me who keep all of you working.

Most Non-Technical Posts to Film-Tech

Film-Techer Whose Film Reviews Are Most Likely To Contain More Comments About Presentation Quality Than About The Actual Movie Being Reviewed

Most Trashed Image/Policy Trailer In Active Use

Worst-Looking Film Ad For A Non-Film Product

Best/Worst Trailers of the Year

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-15-2002 02:29 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Farthest distance travelled specifically to see a movie for free, despite the fact that it would have cost less to just pay full price locally.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2002 02:39 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I traveled 7,000 miles to see Cinerama. I live in Santa Rosa, CA and traveled to Bradford England in order to see Cinerama only to discover that we were doing Cinerama at the Telluride Film Festival in a theatre 2 blocks from my theatre and I didn't have to pay.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-15-2002 02:43 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about: Worst shipping reel in use during 2002 (to be judged by photographs of finalists, as nominated by Brad)?

And maybe: Worst lab splice of the year (I have one to nominate) and possibly worst reel-change scene of the year (e.g. dialogue, music, quick cuts, etc. carrying over reel change).

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-15-2002 03:12 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
see this is good stuff.

I think that once the final categories are sent out in the form of a ballot, then the person who comes CLOSEST to getting them all right gets the TSHIRT.

The producers or technical people if identifiable who win the most of our infuriation will recieve stern warnings to please STOP IT.. in the form of a cheap crayon produced piece of used paper.

dave

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2002 03:20 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Film-Techer Whose Film Reviews Are Most Likely To Contain More Comments About Presentation Quality Than About The Actual Movie Being Reviewed

I read this comment in bold first before reading the opening of your post and thought you were picking on me there. I typically make at least one comment about presentation quality in each movie review post.

How about a "hair length" Film-Tech award. Anyone else here got hair longer than mine? Mine is at least 33 inches at the moment. I'm sure I can beat any guys on here in that department.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2002 05:21 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But that would be sexist.
In the interests of P.C. we have to include females into that catagory.

Most P.C. film anyone?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-15-2002 06:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And this will be presented at the Film-Tech Drink night ....right? Dave, will this mean you will actually be at Showest?
Mark @ CLACO

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-16-2002 12:30 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right children!!! I will be there front and center!!!

Already turned down doing a really good play so I can be there. hale theater is doing BIG RIVER, and in the theater we will actually have a river!!! Its all in the round, and the stage will be converted from its circular up and down quadrants to an 18 inch deep river covering the whole thing. It should be about 17 thousand gallons of water. We are getting ready to start the reinforcements to the stage in order to haul this heavy load. Then the great part is the river itself will be covered up completely, then when its time for the river, we just hoist it up into the rafters by two wenches.

AND I AM GIVING THIS UP FOR A DRINK NITE!!! It better be good!

Dave

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-16-2002 12:35 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worst injury received while doing film work...

Most injuries received while doing film work...

You HAVE to brag about the injuries!

Most Chipper!!! J/K

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-16-2002 12:42 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me know what the final categories are. I'll throw together a script to 'automate' voting (because we all know digital is better). It'll save you going through hundreds of ballots.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2002 01:47 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

<<Then the great part is the river itself will be covered up completely, then when its time for the river, we just hoist it up into the rafters by two wenches>>

Those wenches better be pretty buxom for the task; otherwise they'll need the help of winches!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: