Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Editing Autoexec.bat file with MS-DOS (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Editing Autoexec.bat file with MS-DOS
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-17-2002 12:05 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, the Prelude...

So far, I have lost some hair trying to get a MS-DOS 6.22 based computer to boot up and load a program automatically, and I have not been successful. I tried a bunch of command lines I thought would work, and on each boot-up attempt, the computer hurled an insult at me, or locked me out of the autoexec.bat file unless I edited through the DOS directory. The computer has no programs in it with the exception of DOS and the program I am trying to load at boot-up. The program I speak of is a DOS-based program, and it works perfectly when I load it manually.

Immediately after MS-DOS 6.22 is installed (no memmaker initiated), the Autoexec.bat file looks like this:

@ECHO OFF
C:\DOS\SMARTDRIV.EXE /X
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS
SET TEMP: C:\DOS

Secondly, the program I want to load on bootup is called SETUPVRC which is the name of the directory. In this directory, there is a bat and a cfg file called KBRC.bat and KBRC.cfg

I want to insert a line in the Autoexec.bat file to load this program because this program is used to take transmitter parameter readings, log the file, and print it out on a printer. If there is a power outage, the computer will come back only on DOS prompt when the power is back on line and the program has to be initiated manually. Obviously, this is not satisfactory.

Third:

My question is, what is the command line I should insert in the Autoexec.bat file, and where should I insert it?

The Operations manual for the software says it can be done, but there is no suggestion as to what or where the command line sequence is supposed to be.

I contacted Gentner Electronics, and was told they signed over the software to another company. I called that company and they appear to have "Banker's Hours."

I sent them an email, and I suspect I won't get a reply fast enough to suit my needs.

Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen. If you have a suggestion, please clue me in. Don't be concerned if your suggestion might fail. No matter how bad it lunches the program, I can get it running in less that 10 minutes. I have a spare computer to experiment with.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-17-2002 12:16 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe that's the command for smartdrive, if I remeber right it's smartdrv.exe (8 characters).

try this:
code:
C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
PROMPT $p$g
PATH=C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
cd\setupvrc
kbrc.bat

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-17-2002 12:21 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"locked me out of the autoexec.bat file unless I edited through the DOS directory". What exactly do you mean? Are you using the DOS "edit" utility to edit the autoexec.bat file? I can't imagine why it wouldn't work unless there is some piece of the edit utility missing. If I remember correctly, for edit to run you should have 6 related files in the DOS directory:

edit.com
edit.hlp
edit.pif
qbasic.exe
qbasic.hlp
qbasic.ini

I would suggest modifying the PATH command to:

PATH=C:\DOS;C:\SETUPVRC

As for the command you want to insert at the end of the autoexec.bat file to run the application, it's probably

c:\setupvrc\kbrc.bat

Only you might have to use a "call" in the command line, like:

call c:\setupvrc\kbrc.bat

Or as Daryl suggested, change the default directory first, then run the batch file:

cd c:\setupvrc
kbrc.bat

Hope this helps at least some.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 11-17-2002 12:31 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You only have to use call if you want to return to the calling batch file. Since kbrc.bat is the last thing to be run you don't need to call it. Using call would actually tie up a bit of extra memory unnecessarily (although very little).

You should also change to the directory (using: cd\setupvrc) before calling the programs batch file incase it just assumes it is starting from its directory. If it doesn't make sure it is in its directory first it won't be able to find its resource files as it will use c:\ as it's working directory.

Those are indeed the six files required for edit.com.

If you don't have them you can still create batch files by typing this:

code:
copy con autoexec.bat   <enter>
command1 <enter>
command2 <enter> and so on
<F6 KEY> <enter>

To view the batch file without edit.com type:

code:
type autoexec.bat   <enter>

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-17-2002 03:17 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, that was a typo on my part for the Smartdrv.exe

OK, I'll try your suggestions when I get home to my experimental computer. Right now, I have a more serious problem. The RFPA's in the driver cabnet burned up the plate load choke. No parts to fix it.

Just happens I have a vacuum tube 10KW Collins that was made in 1964, and the RFPA's in the driver cabnet happens to be a pair of 4-400's in parallel running at Class "C" Bias. If I get a chance, I'll post a picture of it (or what's left of it) later. I suspect a "bottle" shorted out and blew the choke before it could blow itself off line, or I lost the bias.

As far as being "Locked out" of the MS-DOS editor, I had to log into the DOS directory and type "Edit c:\ autoexec.bat" in order to get back into it.

I'll post the results on the autoexec.bat file as soon as I try it.

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-18-2002 01:58 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, your command line worked. [thumbsup]

I then went back to the kbrc.bat file, and added "+a" (without the quotation marks, naturally) which bypasses the the password and sets the program into "Activate Terminal Mode."

Now, if I put the right answers in when I orginally ran "Install", the damn thing should work. I'll know tomorrow for sure when I make the test run in the real world.

Thanks alot. [beer] to you at Sho West.
While orginally trying to get it to boot up automatically, I felt like I was getting [sex] by the computer and the damn program. [Big Grin]

(I just had to try one of Brad's new Graemlins...) [eyes]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 11-18-2002 02:01 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup]

I've been getting [sex] by multiple computers all night long (and that 24HR period between the two nights). [sleep]

-

Now if only Showest wasn't right at the end of the semester (if I'm not mistaken).

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-18-2002 02:16 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I am not sure why I was locked out. I think I didn't load DOS because of a typo when I was screwing around in there. Once I got that line right, I was no longer locked out. It happened twice when I was trying to "call", and when I was adding it to the Path C: line.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-18-2002 01:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who ever said DOS was dead?? [Wink]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 11-18-2002 07:12 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like DOS. [thumbsup]

D.O'Shea

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-18-2002 07:50 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, it worked in real life, too....except for one insignificant detail. That being, if I let it load with the +a in the KBRc.bat string, the stupid modem does not know how mant times it is supposed to let the phone ring before it picks up.

The kbrc.bat file looks like this:

setupvrc KBRC.CFG -1 /2400 +a +h +fwhite +bblack +tblack "at"

The number of rings the modem want to hear before it picks up is set in a menu "activate Terminal mode" in the modem commands dialog. When the number of rings are selected, then is supposedly set.

I will send you a zip file of the program which includes the operations.doc - the entire program is very small.

The people who handle the program never responded to a phone call or an email. If you looked things over and make some suggestions, I will be very greatful.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 11-18-2002 08:01 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem, it's probably something in the modem init string. AT commands... what are those again? [Smile]

BTW, how many times do you want it to ring?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-18-2002 08:18 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, if I understand it correctly, "at" is all that is needed. But obviously, that is not correct. That's why I included the operations manual in the zip file.

We only want it to ring once before the modem picks up.

Thank you

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-18-2002 08:54 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Gentner's a pretty decent remote control, Paul. I used it here when I had part of one of the local stations.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-19-2002 02:09 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, indeed they are! They have a limited vocabulary, though. [Big Grin]

Daryl, I didn't get a chance to try the modem string you recommended, as the other transmitter blew a capacitor. I was off the air for a couple of hours before I got one running again. I still have the Collins out of service. It blew a coil because of lost RFPA bias supply.

But, I'll give your recommendation a try tomorrow...I am sure it will work. I'll let you know via email how it turned out. Again, thatn you - your expertise so far has proved to be invaluable,as Brad knows with the update of FT, and from what I know of your astonishingly rapid replys that seem to work! [Smile]

Now it is time to [sleep] Jeeze, what a day! Had a sound system [puke] in one of our theatres, too. [Eek!] When it rains, it pours!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: