Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Nova Cinemas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Nova Cinemas
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 12:56 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else heard of this company?

Nova Cinemas just reopened the Meyerland 8 here in Houston.
Meyerland 8 is an ex-GCC complex as well as an ex-EFW complex.
It was repened on Friday by Nova.

Their ticket prices are a bit lower than most places but check out their concession prices.
The dollar price is only for regular Pepsi and Regular popcorn, but I dont know yet how much everything else is.

I havent been there myself yet, but a friend of mine checked out Harry Potter there.
He said there were no Movie Tunes or anything similar.
Instead, they playes some orchestral soundtrack music before the show.
No slides either.
But curtains, yes, they did have curtains and the curtains opened up not to show commercials, but into 2 or 3 previews, and then the feature.

One thing that has me concerned though, it they still have the THX plaques up on the wall next to the main auditoriums, which led him to believe they were actually THX certified, but Im pretty skeptical, since the EFW had them up as well, and from what I was told, they were not certified.
They ran an SDDS digital logo before the film and I asked him if it sounded like it was digital, but all he could tell me was that it sounded good, but Im not sure how good of a judge on presentation he is.

As far as the rest of the presentation is concerned, He said there was one green scratch that lasted for only a part of a second during the film, but some of the previews and logos were a little more "rough."
The light, he said, seemed bright.

Im off on Wednesday, so I may go check this place out for myself.
Ill be checking out The Ring, since everything else there is something Ive already seen, or dont care to see.
If im lucky, maybe theyll let me have a look around in the booth.

Oh, I just realized that this may be more appropriate in Ground Level.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 02:30 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of their theater in Naperville, Illinois. I understand Nova Cinemas has a lot of Brenkert projectors just sitting around that were recently pulled from service.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-19-2002 04:35 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Nova took over operation of (or are the same people with a different name) Sho-Pro, with the infamous "stealth" theater design discussed in a thread here about a year ago.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-19-2002 09:07 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Buck Kolkmeyer, Are you out there? Whats up with the name change?
Mark @ CLACO

Greg Borr
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 09:12 AM      Profile for Greg Borr   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Borr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nova is the former Sho-Pro (they re-organized their corporate structure) The do theatre design and consultation through Theatre Service Network, They have a booking service, buy and sell used equipment, and run theatres. Buck Kolkmeyer runs the operation, Steve Felperin is the booker.

They have reopened or taken over operation of several theatres throughout the country over the past few years. Most recently the Meyerland 8 in Houston, Carmike 11 in Des Moines, IA, and the Carmike Cinema 8 in Montgomery, AL. In most cases they re-open with ticket prices a bit lower than the bigger plexes, competitive concession pricing and use one-stop selling stations for both tickets and concessions, thus increasing per-caps to cover the lower prices.

Kara J. McVay
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 09:52 AM      Profile for Kara J. McVay   Author's Homepage   Email Kara J. McVay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Phelprein is my booker, and I couldn't be happier. He really fights for the small guy. We had our best October in 18 years thanks to his hard work.... And have LOTR, Wild Thornberrys and Gangs of New York lined up for our Christmas. I only have 3 screens, so it is a challange trying to compete, my competition has 5 screens. Small town, on the edge of Columbus, Ohio. So he has had to really work to show the distributors that the Strand can gross. Like I said before, I couldn't be happier.

I feel like "Field of Dreams" but it would be "Play it and they will come"

[beer] To Nova

Greg Borr
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 10:39 AM      Profile for Greg Borr   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Borr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve books the 4 theatres my business partners parents own in Southwestern, MI. He does a great job for them as well.

Chris Tyson
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 02:06 PM      Profile for Chris Tyson   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Tyson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 02:14 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ex-EFW? Uh-oh. Is it just me or does EFW seem to ruin almost every theater they get their hands on?

=TMP=

Jeff Leyland
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for Jeff Leyland   Email Jeff Leyland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nova bought the old Dickinson Table Rock Cinema in Branson, MO. Recent years it was owned by Goodrich and called the Branson 4. They bought it, I presume, to own two of the three theatres in Branson. It now shows second run product and charges $5 for the movie, small popcorn, and small drink. It is $4 for just the movie. Anyone know of another theatre that does this? It seems like it could produce great concession per caps.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-20-2002 12:02 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah...the Paradise of West Bend, WI, where each projection position was an offset jog in the booth wall not wide enough for the platter so they had to sit in the aisle part of the booth and feed via intermediate rollers in the corner of the jog. And one or two 5-deckers for added fun. Wow...Mark...do you believe that was almost 8 years ago?

Greg Borr
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2002 01:13 PM      Profile for Greg Borr   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Borr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,
We do it at the Loma Theatre in Coloma, MI $5.50 includes medium pop and medium corn. This pricing structure saved the local 3 screen when a 14 plex was built 10 miles away.

The pop and the corn is self-serve. The popcorn is popped prior to the show and placed in a sealed bag in a warming unit at the end of the concession counter. There are two self serve soda fountains across the lobby from the counter.

Travis Turnbough
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2002 12:38 AM      Profile for Travis Turnbough   Email Travis Turnbough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Nova Projectionist here. Nova is a second run discount theatre that appeals to families. We offer Four dollar tickets and for one dollar more you get a 16 oz. pop and 46oz. popcorn. For just a couple bucks more you can also get unlimited refills. Feel free to ask any questions about Nova Cinemas.

Travis Turnbough
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2002 12:39 AM      Profile for Travis Turnbough   Email Travis Turnbough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Travis Turnbough
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2002 01:32 AM      Profile for Travis Turnbough   Email Travis Turnbough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nova really is a great company that cares a great deal about their patrons. We just have a few minor projection equipment that I'm sure will soon be fixed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: