Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » More Sony shorts

Author Topic: More Sony shorts
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 02:59 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. It looks like Sony is doing more shorts (after Chubb Chubbs). I wasn't paying close attention, but on Friday evening their web site made this change to the entry for Eight Crazy Nights:

code:
    Studio Official Web Site                                                    
Columbia http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/eightcrazynights/
THIS FILM OPENS 11/27/02
+ Feature Short: Meatball (attached; 1 min, 59 sec)
National Security (attached)
Anger Management (enclosed)

and then today they renamed it:
code:
    Film Format Run Time Release Date Sound Rating                              
- Flat 82 min. Nov 27, 2002 DTS/SDDS/SR/SRD PG-13
+ Flat 78 min. Nov 27, 2002 DTS/SDDS/SR/SRD PG-13
Studio Official Web Site
THIS FILM OPENS 11/27/02
- Feature Short: Meatball (attached; 1 min, 59 sec)
+ Feature Short: A Day With The Meatball (attached)
National Security (attached)
Anger Management (enclosed)
*NON-SONY ENCLOSURES*

Anyone have any more information?
The only other mention I see is Filmjerk, which just mentions the title and describes it as a "two minute short."

I'm curious if we can expect to see more of these from Sony if they are well-received, and if other studios are likely to start including their own shorts with features. Personally, I think it's a great thing.

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Michael Atkinson
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 03:33 PM      Profile for Michael Atkinson   Email Michael Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am just curious and wondering what the address is for the Sony website you are mentioning.

In addition, I do agree with you about having shorts with feature films because they can somewhat make up for a bad movie like what the Chubb Chubbs did for MIB2. Sony is probably releasing these shorts to build support for their computer animation studio ‘Imageworks’. If they are successful, I would not be surprised that in a couple of years they will eventually release a full-length computer animated feature and try to compete with Pixar.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-19-2002 03:54 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From John's post above:

Michael Atkinson
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 04:23 PM      Profile for Michael Atkinson   Email Michael Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually wondering if Sony Pictures has an exhibitor site like Fox, WB, Paramount, and Universal for finding out about trailer enclosures and film formats.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 06:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Sony has an exhibitor relations site: www.sonypicturesreleasing.com

Also "Meatball" is the name of Adam Sandler's production company. So maybe one of those shorts is simply a trailer for an upcoming movie?

Doesn't really matter, the whole thing is going to be [bs] anyway.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 09:17 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Mr. Deeds a "Happy Madison Production"? Has he changed the name already?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 09:19 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Daryl, you did misinterpret Michael's question. Mike Blakesly calls it correctly, though, the information above is snipped from the access-controlled area of  www.sonypicturesreleasing.com.

--jhawk

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2002 09:31 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something on this thread is causing me to have to scroll sideways. [Mad]

I really wish they would include shorts more often. I really liked Roger Rabbit with "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" But the only thing that might cause them to flop these days is the onslaught of stuff before the movie as it is already.

=TMP=

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 09:38 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Something on this thread is causing me to have to scroll sideways.
I think it's the [code] tags that John used in his first post. John, maybe you could try changing them to [quote] tags.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-19-2002 09:43 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CODE tags preserve whitespace (though they don't do so in a monospaced fashion), and QUOTE tags do not. Since the whitespace is significant to the diff -u output, it is appropriate to preserve them.

It sure would be nice to fix the CODE tag to be less...glaring, as well as to use a monospaced (i.e. <PRE> or whatever) font...

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: