Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Another Opera question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Another Opera question
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-20-2002 04:33 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An earlier discussion here convinced me to try Opera and I use it now most of the time.
One detail however I dislike: When I load a new page with many images (such as the forum discussions with all the member portraits), Opera will often display the text only after all the images have been loaded. IE will usually display the text immediately so I can start reading while the images load. Is there a setting in Opera to change this?

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-20-2002 05:35 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing you can try is to turn the images off and browse in text only mode. This will help greatly to reduce waiting, but there will be no pictures. click the camera icon under the back and opera buttons.

Josh

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-20-2002 06:28 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Opera follows spec fairly closely I don't think it's possible since spec says, IIRC, to show everything at once.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-20-2002 10:02 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being able to turn off the pictures while keeping the other graphics would be a nice feature for the forum itself it make it easier on people on slow connections.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-21-2002 04:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Go into preferences and set it to never cache documents, but to always cache images. The images download once and then are served from your hard drive for whatever you set it for (5 days at a time).

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 09:17 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for asking Michael, i had been wondering about that myself...now i know! [beer]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-21-2002 12:53 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried the suggested settings, but Opera still acts the same way. If I load a page, the background, the logo and the text portions Post a Reply etc still appear very quickly, but I still have to wait for the actual page content. I wouldn`t want to turn pictures off as it is a nice feature to see with whom you are talking.
If click on Stop while the page is loading, the text appears immediately but then I would have to load the pictures manually. That is one feature which is better in IE.
By the way, where is my picture? I submitted it a few days ago. Well it is not very pretty anyway [puke]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 11-21-2002 09:13 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason you only see the header first is because Opera waits to get all the image dimensions before generating the tableset (the way RFC spec says to do it). Some websites with tables will display everything before the pictures download because they include the image dimensions in the html code (which admitedly is RFC spec too). Since I don't currently have a significant amount of time to spend writing code, I probably won't make it conform for some time (until I go back to dial-up, then it will be fixed in a hurry [Smile] ).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-22-2002 06:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't feel this is a good idea to even try and implement. Personally I find it annoying when the text appears and then the pictures start popping up later, jacking around the spacing of the page.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-22-2002 06:39 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Opera 7 beta1 now and it does exactly what I want: Display the text immediately and load the pictures while you can start reading. Obviously, this issue was noted by others too.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 11-22-2002 09:08 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have an option not to do that? I'd hate to see such a good client wonder from spec.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-24-2002 12:06 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is one, I haven`t found it yet. I have to say that Opera7 is indeed much faster (subjectively) than IE. With Opera6, I wasn`t so sure if it was really faster.
Also, the e-mail functions don`t seem to have matured, so I continue to use Outlook for now. The e-mail module seems to be unable to remember the password for my account. Or rather, it remembers only 6 letters and my password has more.
Under Opera6, it was possible to define Outlook or any other e-mail program together with Opera. That option is not available any more. They take it for granted that you want to use the e-mail module.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-24-2002 03:11 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you certain that it's not remembering the whole password? It may be displaying a fixed number of asterisks so that a passer-by can't tell how many characters long the password is. Windows XP does that, too.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-24-2002 04:42 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Opera6 showed a number of asterisks identical to the letters in the password. Maybe they changed that. Still, there has to be something wrong - I checked all the other settings like server names, port numbers, user identification - because the program often hangs when I want to check my mail. I have to enter the password over and over. At first I thought I had contracted a Trojan style virus, so I ran a virus check, deinstalled Opera and downloaded the recent version.
Of course, the problem might also be with my e-mail server but Outlook doesn`t have any problems.
I was going to reinstall the whole system in the next few days anyway. WeŽll see what happens then...

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-24-2002 10:40 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The browser also crashes during some activities, such as forwarding mail.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: