Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What Do You Read? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What Do You Read?
William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 04:49 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As projectionist we do have time to kill. And the best way I kill time is by reading a book. I'm curious what do other projectionist read while waiting for the last movie to drop.

I am currently reading Allan Dean Foster : Phylogenesis.

What are some books you have read or can recommend. What I recommend is George R.R Martin : Game of Thrones .

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 04:57 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently reading Sue Grafton's Q Is for Quarry .

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-21-2002 05:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am reading Sue Grafton's Z is for ZZZZzzzz

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-21-2002 05:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never have time to read novels since I'm a owner/manager, but in my office I have the usual Boxoffice, Film Journal, Premeire and Entertainment Weekly magazines, and one indispensible book: Roger Ebert's Bigger Little Movie Glossary. Anyone who likes movies should read this and prepare to fall down laughing.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 05:50 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im reading the book, 24 Hour Party People by Tony Wilson , there was a film made from this book which is about the rise and fall of Factory records her in the UK, who made bands like NEW ORDER. Not sure if you fellas in the USA will get to see this film?

Good reading anyway, funny and interesting.

Darren

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 07:03 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
over last summer, i used to make stupid little programs on my laptop in visual basic.......I also read the magazine Scientific American, and Tom Clancy's Bear and The Dragon.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 08:12 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I don't have too much time to read in the booth, but I try to read when I can. At the moment, I am reading Running WIth Scissors by Augusten Burroughs and Our Band Could be Your Life by Michael Azerrad.

I recently finished The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster, and I would recommend it for some leisurely reading.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 08:21 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last two books I have read were on Business Planning. I wish I had time to read novels. My favorite authors are Terry Brooks and Piers Anthony.

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 08:49 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the books I've read in the booth over the past year:
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
1984 - George Orwell
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Big Trouble - Dave Barry
Why I'm Not A Christian - Bertrand Russel
Fight Club, Choke, Survivor, Lullaby - Chuck Palahniuk

I am currently reading Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-21-2002 09:09 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love epic reading. Right now I am reading through the Hornblower series. 9 novels by C.S. Forester (who also wrote the script for African Queen) about the life of fictional character Horatio Hornblower, who served in the Royal Navy during the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars, rising from Midshipman to Admiral.
I also like true crime and so I am reading "The Cases That Haunt Us" by former FBI profiler John Douglas.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 10:33 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jacob, if you got all the way thru Atlas Shrugged, my hat is off to you, and I'll spare you the joke about letting Ayn Rand go to your head.

I just finished Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation, an excellent book about the dark side of the fast food industry. Its description of working in the Colorado slaughterhouses (and what's really in a fast food burger) will put you off your Whoppers, lemee tell ya. Frightning stuff. Before that: Peter Biskind's Easy Riders, Raging Bulls, a great book about film making in the late sixties and seventies, a movie going era that's close to my heart, I remember running many of the titles mentioned to packed houses. This was towards the end of the single screen era, just as multi's were becomming all the rage, the early days of Lucas, Spielberg, Scorsese, Coppola, et. al. Them was the days.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 10:36 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re-reading Alfred Besters "Tiger Tiger" plus a few business books

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2002 11:39 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I have read all of Ayn Rand's stuff. I never let any of it get to my head. Well, maybe I did. I wrote a thesis on her back in the day. I discovered her writings after listening to RUSH back in the day..... But that is a whole other story.......

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-21-2002 11:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly read newspapers, magazines, etc. One of my favorite books of the last year or so is "King of Cannes" by Stephen Walker. It's a great look at how the film industry really works and is quite funny.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-21-2002 11:57 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my booths, I read technical literature, but that is about it under most circumstances.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: