Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » A Lesson in History - The Origin of the word S.H.I.T.

Author Topic: A Lesson in History - The Origin of the word S.H.I.T.
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-21-2002 10:01 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything was transported by ship.
It was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common. In dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a byproduct is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.

Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came
below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined
just what was happening. After that, the bundles of manure were always
stamped with the term "S.H.I.T" on them which meant to the sailors to
"Ship High In Transit." In other words, high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

You probably did not know this true history of the word. Neither did
I. I always thought it was a golf term.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon Hedges III
Jealous of everyone not me

- posted 11-21-2002 10:44 PM      Profile for Gordon Hedges III   Email Gordon Hedges III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This probably should be under USELESS FACTS in BOB MAAR'S JOKE-A-THON, I think [Confused]

Anyhow, this is some useful [bs] [Cool]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-21-2002 11:47 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, I really didn't know where to put it, since it is not actually a joke. I thought this one had some merit because finding out what the origin of words are can be interesting. [Big Grin]

Oh, well....Brad will hammer it if it belongs there. [Smile]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-22-2002 12:55 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another Paul said
quote:
I always thought it was a golf term.
And I thought it was a bowling term (you know, where the term "gutter language" came from).
Or the term pilots use to describe an "arrival" as opposed to a landing. [Wink]

Back to the want ads...

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-22-2002 02:23 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see this false story has finally made it to Film-Tech...

Here's the 'rest of the story'...

-Aaron

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-22-2002 02:34 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, I stand corrected.... [Big Grin]

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 11-22-2002 01:45 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For more information on this subject,please check the following posts.

Joke - Yak 5-10-01 at 3:32PM

Chain Letter thread 9-4-01 11:24AM

However since it is a stinky subject you might want to forget it. [Big Grin]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2002 11:34 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who says that this is not a learning website? [sleep]

:bruce:

OH NO! My image is gone!

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2002 07:59 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shucks. I always thought S.H.I.T. meant Special High Intensity Training.

here

S.H.I.T.

TO: ALL EMPLOYEES
FR: MANAGEMENT
RE: SPECIAL HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING

In order to assure the highest levels of quality work and productivity from employees, it will be our policy to keep all employees well trained through our program of SPECIAL HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING (S.H.I.T.). We are trying to give employees more S.H.I.T. than anyone else.

If you feel that you do not receive your share of S.H.I.T. on the job, please see your manager. You will be immediately placed at the top of the S.H.I.T. list, and our managers are especially skilled at seeing that you get all the S.H.I.T. you can handle.

Employees who don't take their S.H.I.T. will be placed in DEPARTMENTAL EMPLOYEE EVALUATION PROGRAMS (D.E.E.P. S.H.I.T.). Those who fail to take D.E.E.P. S.H.I.T. seriously will have to go to EMPLOYEE ATTITUDE TRAINING (E.A.T. S.H.I.T.). Since our managers took S.H.I.T. before they were promoted, they don't have to do S.H.I.T. anymore, and are all full of S.H.I.T. already.

If you are full of S.H.I.T., you may be interested in a job training others. We can add your name to our BASIC UNDERSTANDING LECTURE LIST (B.U.L.L. S.H.I.T.). Those who are full of B.U.L.L. S.H.I.T. will get the S.H.I.T. jobs, and can apply for promotion to DIRECTOR OF INTENSITY PROGRAMMING (D.I.P. S.H.I.T.).

If you have further questions, please direct them to our HEAD OF TRAINING, SPECIAL HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING (H.O.T. S.H.I.T.).

Thank you,

BOSS IN GENERAL
SPECIAL HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING
(B.I.G. S.H.I.T.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: