Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » OUCH! Some scientists are idiots (Weenie roast) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: OUCH! Some scientists are idiots (Weenie roast)
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-22-2002 09:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've all heard the talk about various hazards in using computers, such as eye-strain and carpal tunal syndrome. But this news item from CNN is too much! [Eek!]
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/11/22/offbeat.laptop.burn.reut/index.html

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-22-2002 10:31 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will never understand why these things happen to people. I mean, one has to notice it is getting very hot... Well, if only some of the stories on the Darwin Awards website are true, some people just don`t know better. Like the German tourist who went to swim in a lake in northern Australia at night just recently and was attacked by a crocodile. What a surprise. I understand she is dead.
Talking about death, I wrote you a private message, so please check your profile.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-22-2002 10:51 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Talking about death, I wrote you a private message...
Are we now sending death threats via private messages? [Eek!]

By the way, I think the topic title could be construed as a teaser title. Maybe it could read 'OUCH! Some scientists are idiots.' [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-22-2002 11:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And the new forum program's features strike again! [thumbsup]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2002 12:02 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

SO who changed the topic, you or the original poster?

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2002 12:05 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!
Any smart scientist wouldn't, oh what the hell.
Too bad they didn't use my Dell, it just went up in flame about two days ago as did my other Dell laptop a few months back.
[sleep]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 11-23-2002 12:19 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your notebook catching fire is always an unplesant way to start your morning. [Frown]

OTH, Dell's have been getting a bad wrap lately for being 'too hot on the bottom'. Granted I could probably cook dinner on the bottom of my Dell Latitude X200, my last three non-Dell notebooks have gotten just as hot (especially the two Compaq Armada's that I had). Any notebook that uses a magnesium (or similar) bottom plane as the computers functional heatsink is going to get hot. The faster it goes, the hotter it gets. At least with Dell, if the thing catches fire, explodes, or you drop it hard enough to 'break it good', they'll replace it relatively hassle free during the first 3 years if you pay for the $150 Completecare package.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-23-2002 12:56 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl said:
quote:
The faster it goes, the hotter it gets.
Seems I remember that anything over a 486DX2-66 needs a blower or a heat sink on the CPU. Without it, that DX2-66 whimpy chip will fry your finger if you touch it. I touched a 300mhz chip once, and I heard my finger sizzle, just like it would if you touched a high power transmitting tube.

The high power chips of today will really do a number to you. We had a new computer built up by a computer shop sometime ago, and it was only an AMD 600MHZ machine. The techs didn't put a big enough blower in it, and after about 30 minutes, the computer would go nuts. I entered the BIOS to check the core temps, and it was about 160 degrees F.

Laptops, I presume, could cause the same problems. The heat has nowhere to go. Some laptop bottoms as mentioned can and do get extremely hot. This guy probably had a very powerful machine.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 11-23-2002 01:15 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'A cautionary side note'... Any chip that looks link this one below (chips with surface dies) will burn up (i.e. no longer work) in under ONE (1) SECOND without a heatsink properly installed.

-

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-23-2002 06:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl,
Could we see what the die in that cpu looks like all burnt up? [Big Grin]
On my old Toshiba Laptop(120mhz P-1) the fan in back never ran at all and the thing used to get hotter than hell. A few years back I went in and hooked it permanently across the HD vcc and the temp stays much lower now than it ever was. Might also be why this thing is 7 years old and still going like the Everready Bunny....
I have heard some Dell laptops that sounded like they had a turbine blower in them!
Mark @ CLACO

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-23-2002 03:32 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are we now sending death threats via private messages?
No, I just wanted to try out the feature, and speaking of death, I remembered that I had met a gentleman on the plane to Los Angeles who was reading a book Bobby`s father wrote about a sniper.
But I think you specially have to check your profile to see if private messages are there.
Good idea, though [evil]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-23-2002 04:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The private message thing is kind of cool I suppose. Yeah, my father wrote the novel "Marine Sniper", a biography of Carlos Hathcock, who was arguably the greatest marksman in Marine Corps history. Hathcock helped start the Scout/Sniper School in Quantico, VA and held a number of military shooting records, including longest confirmed kill.

I think there is a German printing of the book still available. If I remember right, it was printed under the title "Todesfalle". I'm not sure about that; I don't speak German.

The recent shootings in the DC area were disturbing, and it was only natural that the press would want to interview my dad about it. He granted only a couple and didn't want to gain any publicity from the horrible events. Hathcock was a war hero. I certainly don't anything from that murderous rampage in DC taking away from that.

Anyway, to get back on topic (about the Weenie Roast), I can't imagine why this scientist didn't realize was was going on. And was he using his laptop in the nude? I only ask that since the news article talks about blisters developing. The only other thing I can think of to perhaps cause that might be some kind of heat radiation. Really strange.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-23-2002 06:27 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be good if there would be a message indicating there are private messages when you log in!
Amazon.de indeed lists the book under the German title "Todesfalle" which means "death trap". The German word for "sniper" would be "Scharfschuetze", literally "sharp shooter". But the book doesn`t seem to be available anymore.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-23-2002 07:54 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a clicky button on your profile page whether or not you want the server to email you a notification when you receive a personal message.

I have to prop the back of my laptop up when it's sitting on a flat surface, otherwise I'm afraid everything would burst into flames. And it's only a P-150. If I'm using it on my desk, I can feel the heat all the way through the 2-inch thick wood top.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-23-2002 08:34 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, I think that's the wrong response...many laptops are designed to disapate heat through their bases. If you prop them up, then they'll be insulated (well, by the air) and won't dissapate heat as well, and may overheat... Older IBM thinkpads were notorious for this.

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: