Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Segway Now Available (For Pre-Order)

Author Topic: Segway Now Available (For Pre-Order)
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-23-2002 07:12 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Segway Human Transporter (HT) is definitely a technological wonder. No question about that. Still, I have a few questions:

1.With a retail price-tag approaching US$5,000.00 who do you see buying one of these?
2.Would you buy one if it cost less? How much less?
3.Do you envision the HT becoming a commonplace item on streets/sidewalks of the future? About as common as a bicycle? Not as common? More common?

Amazon.com currently has the exclusive retail deal to sell the HT's and they are currently taking orders. There's a non-refundable 10% deposit. I guess the balance will be due at some point prior to shipping--estimated (for most orders) to be around May of 2003. A few lucky buyers will get theirs in time for Christmas this year.

There is a link in the top right-hand corner of any Amazon.com page:
http://www.amazon.com

For more information about the HT and how it works, visit:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/ginger.htm

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2002 07:51 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Segway is an interesting engineering exercise but a bicycle is much less complex, faster, easier to repair and about 10 times less expensive.

But I could see the gyroscopes being used to have a two-wheel enclosed motorcycle of some sort.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-23-2002 07:56 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a blurb on TV somewhere about gyroscopes being used in wheelchairs that could climb stairs.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-24-2002 01:47 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that story about the stair climbing wheel-chair on CNN. Pretty amazing machine, although it still requires another person to hold or aim the wheelchair at the stairs properly. It has lots of gyroscopes and a hefty price tag in excess of $25,000.

As far as the Segway goes, I suppose it is a pretty neat invention. But $5000? I can't justify spending that kind of money on something I may not actually need, or whose purpose may be better served by a much less expensive bicycle. Sure, the inventors say the machine is actually a bargain at $5000 with all the technology in it. Fine, I'll take their word for it, but I'm still not buying one.

Finally, who would want to be seen on one of these things? They're pretty damned goofy looking. I suppose if I get some "birth control glasses", a pocket protector for a pen collection and anything else nerdy I could think of, then the Segway might complete that "Ultimate Nerd" fashion statement.

I'm not sure how one could make the Segway more sporty or cool looking, but it definitely needs some help in the visual department.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-24-2002 06:59 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Finally, who would want to be seen on one of these things? They're pretty damned goofy looking. I suppose if I get some "birth control glasses", a pocket protector for a pen collection and anything else nerdy I could think of, then the Segway might complete that "Ultimate Nerd" fashion statement.
Hmm...I'm now thinking that if there's still such a place as Silicon Valley then this might be where most of them will be shipping...Either there, or the Microsoft campus?

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2002 07:29 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw some a rather interesting Vehicle in "South Park" sort of a Gyroscope type bike , that had the most interesting steering Mechanism
[eyes]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-24-2002 10:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I saw a blurb on TV somewhere about gyroscopes being used in wheelchairs that could climb stairs."

I thought Steve Guttag once said thats what he uses to move projectors and consoles up and down stairways.....
Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-24-2002 11:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Showorst gets any larger I'll be buying one!
Mark

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2002 12:23 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The vehicle on "South Park" was actually a parody of the Segway, simply called "IT"

According to its inventor, Mr. Herbert Garrison, "IT" is easily operated using four Flexi-Grip handles. Two of them are on each side, left side for throttle, right side for steering. The third Flexi-Grip is gently inserted into the anus to keep the driver in place:

-

Now, the final Flexi-Grip is directly in front of the driver, so that small switches can be operated with the mouth, as such:

-

And there you have it. If you're worried about looking strange using the real Segway unit, "IT" should be particularly embarrasing seen going down the road.

If I'm not mistaken, the Segway can only go about 20 mph? For $5,000 I would want it to at least be able to go 45. A seat would be handy, too. Although it's stableized by the gyroscope, the rider can still fall off.

=TMP=

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2002 01:22 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So where does Mr. Twig sit?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2002 05:03 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During a recent trip to Comdex 2002 I had the opportunity to ride a Segway. I have to say that it was pretty interresting, not hard to get used to and very easy to control. However I think that the price needs to come WAY down, but there were a few people seriously considering buying them there.

Accoring to the Segway folks, order now, and get your Segway in March - May time frame

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2002 08:40 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce,
It's not Mr. Twig.. it's Mr. Haaaat... [Roll Eyes]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 02:56 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Segway's recalled.

News Story

quote:

Government Recalls All Segway Scooters

Friday , September 26, 2003

WASHINGTON — The maker of the Segway Human Transporter (search) has agreed to recall the motorized scooters because riders have been injured falling off when its batteries are low.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (search) announced the recall Friday, saying that three people had been injured. One suffered a head wound and needed stitches.

The recall involves about 6,000 of the single-rider, two- wheeled scooters that can travel up to 12 mph. The scooter uses gyroscopes to keep it upright, making it less likely to fall or be knocked over.

The Segway was unveiled in December 2001 to much fanfare by Dean Kamen (search), an inventor who holds around 100 patents, including a wheelchair that climbs stairs and the first portable kidney dialysis machine.

The CPSC said that scooters being operated with low battery power may not have enough power to remain upright, causing the rider to fall.

Models on the list include the Segway HT i167 (i series), the e167 (e series) and p133 (p series).

The scooters cost around $4,950 apiece.

The company is offering a free software upgrade. While Segway plans to contact owners, consumers also may call the company toll free at 1-877-889-9020 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. weekdays to obtain the free upgrade.

It seems that people are falling on their head when the battery gets low.

[Smile] Mitchell

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: