Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Multiplex Destiny": why some theaters deserve to die

Author Topic: "Multiplex Destiny": why some theaters deserve to die
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2002 01:41 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found this from the Salt Lake Tribune via Cinema Treasures. I can add 3 theaters to that list -- all GCC multiplexes.

Somerville Circle 3, Raritan NJ. State of the art when it ran Star Wars in the 70's. Hard to get in and out of, though. The only entrance/exit led to a highway near a dangerous traffic circle. I saw Natural Born Killers and Pulp Fiction elsewhere because GCC opened those movies at Somerville Circle. Theater closed c. 1995. Torn down, replaced by an appliance/TV store.

Blue Star 4, Watchung NJ. Originally a twin, later turned into a 4. Projection was speeded up the 2 times I went there -- in fact, I walked out the 2nd time (Set It Off). Theater closed in 1998. Torn down, replaced by a women's apparel store.

Rutgers Plaza 6, Somerset NJ. Once a 3, expanded to a 6. After the Bridgewater Commons 7 opened in the late 80's GCC used Rutgers Plaza mostly for B product and black movies. Theater closed on my birthday in 2000 -- eight days after GCC filed Chapter 11. Building still stands, poster frames, GCC highway sign and all.

What now-closed theaters can you think of that deserved to die?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-26-2002 02:38 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old Moyer Valley River Twin in Eugene. The place was a dark, skanky hell-hole. All the seats, carpet, etc. stunk of years of spilled Coke, coconut oil vapor, and human sweat all mixed together and left to congeal. You felt "dirty" after going there. They used mirrors to bounce the image onto the screen and judging from the image quality, Windex and paper towels were not in the budget. This theatre is not listed on CinemaTour and frankly it deserves to be forgotten. It's the site of an Olive Garden Restaurant now.

Is there a thread on "Theaters that DIDN'T deserve to die"? [Wink]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2002 02:59 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Atlanta:

United Artists(now Regal Cinemas): Lenox Square: Terrible theater in a great location. Tiny screens, mediocre sound. Ignorant employees.

United Artists (Tara): Gets high marks for great movie selections. A lot of indie movies get shown here. But I wish they would tear this place down and build a new one. Has big auditoriums, but not big enough screens. Mediocre projection. Mediocre sound.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-28-2002 10:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, that was a to the point article!! I don't know how many plex's I've been in that I wish would simply vaporize. Many are really dumps!

I'm fortunate enough to live near both the Villa(about a mile) and near the 800 seat hanger at Trolley Corners(the next stop light down from me). The old Trolley House now a shopping mall is also really a neato place to go shop or for dinner. Both of these gigantic theatres should be visited by anyone that makes it to Salt Lake City. Both are still 70mm capable as well but neither owner knows how to make proper use of them. Many theatre operators are all too caught up in "Multiplex Times" these days and can't manage to take a break away from normal Monday bookings to stop and think for 5 min about what they have, do some creative booking, and to use their theatres creatively. Many complain about poor attendance....Poor attendance is their own fault!
Mark

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2002 06:53 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Miller Square Theater in Miami. (Closed a few years ago) Built as a 4 plex and turned into an 8 screen. I think all they used was plywood and carpet to hack that place up. [puke]
At least they left one auditorium alone (and converted the game room to a theater). I believe Wometco was responsible for that mess. It later became Cobb and then Regal.
Dennis Benjamin was the manager there once.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: