Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Nitrate Scare (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Nitrate Scare
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2002 03:35 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received part of "Roll Thunder Roll" the second Red Rider color series of 4.
I'm thinking, this is cool.
I got this film today and being the novice that I am, ran it through my hand rewinds and checked for bad spots, repaired a couple of torn spots, etc. I noticed that the film felt different than most I have been dealing with. I also noticed it said ansochrome on it. Anyway, cleaned it up, threaded it up in the projector and ran it. What a cool movie. Ok, reel over and rewound it. Started looking on IMDB for info on this film and went back over and looked at the film again for the date code and stock and the first thing that I seen was "NITRATE FILM".
Oh Shit! here I have basically a bomb in my place I don’t even own and this stuff could go up at any freaking time.
Wound the film very carefully back onto the old reel it was on and placed it in a shipping can.
I hate to get rid of it because of what it is but I can't keep something like that in my house much less run it.
I got this off Ebay and now it was a pleasant surprise to see what I got but being its a dangerous unstable film stock I guess I am going to have destroy it. A shame.

edited for a dozen spelling errors.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-26-2002 03:39 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not donate it somewhere? Check with the Library of Congress or UCLA or any number of other archives with nitrate vaults.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-26-2002 06:14 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact Jeff Joseph at Sabucat Productions , he might be interested in buying it from you, at least you won't be throwing it away and you might get something for it! He buys lots of nitrate stuff, and I believe has the facilities to keep it and handle it properly.

-Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-26-2002 06:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HEY! First be sure that the actual film stock you have is really Nitrate! Cut off a piece about 6" in length and light it out of doors to see if it burns up like a fuse might. Its possible that the words Nitrate have printed through from the original negative only..... I have seen many B&W prints that say Nitrate but they are not. The Negative was though. I don't know if Ansco ever printed on Nitrate.
Mark @ CLACO

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2002 06:37 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its definately Nitrate. It burns real good, and has nitrate in both black and white on the film stock.
Thanks!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-26-2002 07:52 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of Anscochrome being a nitrate stock as most of the "chrome" stocks were consumer stocks

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2002 08:12 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I misspelled the thing, PANCHROMATIC is on the thing.
Here is a couple of shots.

-

-

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-26-2002 08:56 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont you dare through something like that out!

Jeepers. It isn't the ticking time-bomb that some make it out to be. Find a good home for it, as others have suggested.

Just curious...isnt this the color process that is blue on one side and red on the other? Try scratching a section of leader and see if I'm right...I know and early color processes did something to that affect.

Steve

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-26-2002 09:06 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That "NITRATE FILM" wording in your photo is light letters against a black background, so the lettering was on the edge of the printing NEGATIVE and printed through with the printer edgelight. Your additional "NITRATE" print lettering of black on clear, either ink or latent image numbering, definitely indicates a NITRATE print as well.

You need to treat the print itself as nitrate, unless it passes a test for safety film:

Here's the information you need:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/corp/environment/kes/pubs/pdfs/H182.pdf

Interpretation of a "burn test" of a tiny sample should be trusted only if you have first-hand experience judging the speed of the flame propagation. You did say "it burns real good", implying nitrate. Otherwise, chemical analysis or specific density tests should be used.

For now, store the print in a cool, dry area. Do NOT store it in an occupied residence or public building. Your photos look like the print is in good condition, and you were able to project it -- probably minor Stage 1 deterioration, and DEFINITELY worth saving. If the film has not progressed to "Stage 3" deterioration, it is still stable. (Stage 4 or 5 is very unstable and should be kept under water until a hazmat crew can deal with it. If an archive is interested in the print, they will help with the shipping instructions.

Hope this helps.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-26-2002 09:11 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont get so excited, if stored properly, that stuff may outlast us all. I have a roll of daters from the 40's, all nitrate in my house. I keep it in the deep freeze to shelter it from the hot garage. I am not the least bit concerned about something aweful happening to it. after all, its about 30 degrees in there, year round.

A print that beutiful, nitrate or otherwise is definately worth keeping. Some archives will store it for you for free, so long as they can use it.

Josh

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-26-2002 09:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyway, cleaned it up, threaded it up in the projector and ran it.
Consider yourself lucky that nothing went wrong with the projection!

Definitely call Jeff Joseph at Sabucat. He is a good guy and has the proper facilities to handle and preserve this.

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2002 09:31 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This stuff is not nearly as dangerous as one might think... Nitrate does require special handling, storage, and so on. Please give it a good home; don't toss it.

Jeff

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-27-2002 03:09 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an archivist who (amongst other things) looks after nitrate film for a living, I agree with all of the above. It's actually quite hard to ignite the stuff. On the few occasions when I've burnt small quantities of badly decomposed (as in, beyond the point at which it can be copied) nitrate, it had to be in contact with the flame from the match for 2-3 seconds before it went up.

AFAIK it's never been proved whether spontaneous ignition of nitrate can happen or not: some people believe this is possible. There's a paper in the SMPE journal from the early '50s (can't remember the exact reference) which discusses a fire in a film distribution depot in New York during an unusually hot summer. The authors conclude that the fire can only have been started by spontaneous ignition, becuase there was quite simply no other source of ignition which could have done it.

John P's explanation of edge markings is important. A 'nitrate' or 'safety' edge mark on an element from the late 40s or early 50s means nothing in itself. In the camera neg - fine grain pos - interneg - print series of generations, only one of them needs to have a 'nitrate' or 'safety' mark on it to be duplicated by contact printing onto the next generation.

Finally, I agree that the burning test is the most reliable form of identification. The float test tends to be the preferred method of archives: it uses trichloroethylene, which has a specific gravity between that of nitrate and acetate. Put a small punching of film stock in a test tube of the stuff: one floats and the other sinks. But trichloroethylene is expensive and has various health and safety issues, and just as long as you're not burning any picture section and you're not burning any nitrate in an enclosed space I can't see any real problem with putting a match to your sample and seeing what it does.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-27-2002 08:14 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some years ago I took a small peice of nitrate film, put in on the end of a long screwdriver, and held it about 50mm from the ceramic radients of a gas fire. This caused serious problems, my hand, which was about 250mm away from the fire, could only stand the heat for a few seconds, and I had to keep changing hands. I then tried the same thing, but with my hand in a heat proof foundry gauntlet. Eventually, the nitrate did ignite, but it took several minutes. Repeating the test with several samples of film of varying ages and makes produced similar results. I also tried applying a flame directly to a sample of film. It did not ignite if I quickly pased the flame across it, but did if the flame was held against it for even a fraction of a second. Of course, in normal use, including projection, film would not be exposed directly to a flame, and the time for which film is normally exposed to radient heat in a projector gate is far less than the time it took to ignite in the gas fire test. I think it likely that nitrate film would ignite if it jammed, and remained stationary in the gate for any length of time.

There was a case some years ago, I can't remember the details, where some film ignited having been stacked in cans in the sun for an extended period, what condition the film was in immediatly before it ignited is not known, but storing film in warm contitions is not a good idea.

Two other major nitrate fires spring to mind, one was some years ago at the Cinematheque Francais, and the other was more recent, maybe five to ten years ago at Hendersons Laboratories in London, in which the negatives of some of the Ealing films were destroyed. In neither case do I know the cause of the fire. If anybody here does know the actual cause, rather than just speculation, I would be interested to hear from them.

Storing nitrate film at home is not a good idea. I do from time to time have a single reel at home for cleaning, inspection etc., but only while I am actually working on it. If I stop working on it, e.g. for a lunch break, then it goes outside in a can. Having nitrate in the house while asleep should be absolutely out of the question. The problem is not so much of the nitrate starting a fire, but of a normal fire starting, for whatever reason, and this in turn igniting the nitrate. This would obviously make the fire much worse, and if you were asleep when it happened you would stand a very good chance of being overcome by fumes, and dying in the fire. In the very unlikely event of a reel of film igniting while being inspected on the bench you can at least get out.

A few years ago while on a visit to the NFTVA, I was able to examine some original nitrate negative from about 1912-1915. it was in a syncroniser, alongside a new fine grain which had been from it, and some other material of unknown age. It was in such good condition that I did not realise at first that I was looking at original material of this age. Stored under good conditions, black and white nitrate film is pretty stable, and I think may well prove to be less of aproblem from the preservation viewpoint, and easily outlast, early Eastmancolor, and similar, triacetate material from a few decades later.

Leo wrote:

quote:
As an archivist who (amongst other things) looks after nitrate film for a living, I agree with all of the above. It's actually quite hard to ignite the stuff. On the few occasions when I've burnt small quantities of badly decomposed (as in, beyond the point at which it can be copied) nitrate, it had to be in contact with the flame from the match for 2-3 seconds before it went up.

Leo, what state of decomposition was this film in, was it at the 'sticky' stage? I've heard reports from other people of film in this condition absorbing relativly large quantities of water from the air. When it later dries out to a brown dusty material it ignites much more easily. The small film sample which I ignited with a flame, was in good gondition, and took much less time than this, I would say less than a quarter of a second.

Nobody could dispute that nitrate film is a hazardous material, but so are plenty of other things which are handled and transported every day. If it is in good condition, and with sensible precautions, it can be handled without undue danger. I would certainly not recommend that it be stored at home, nor run from a platter in a multiplex cinema, nor on a portable projector set up in the middle of the audience in a hall. I was in the audience when that was done, sitting not far from the projector, but didn't find out until several weeks later that it had been a nitrate print. The projectionist was aware. I will say no more.

It is now becomming almost impossible to do anything with nitrate film; at least in this country it is just about impossible to find a cinema that is licenced to project it, it is difficult to find anybody that will transport it, few labs will print it etc. Goodness knows what will happen when some fool does do something stupid with it, and somebody dies as a result.

I would much rather be in a room where someone had dropped a roll of nitrate film than a room where someone had spilled a litre of petrol, (There was much more than a litre in the tanker which came very close to being in collision with a car as I was on my way to work last week, but nobody seems to worry too much about transporting petrol. Luclily, the tnker driver managed to avoid what could have been a very serious incident, and the car driver simply carried on, no doubt to do the same again another day. Why are there so many bad drivers around?) and I have to say that large xenon lamps worry me more than nitrate film does.

The film samples shown earlier in this thread look very like a 16mm Cinecolor print that I once saw. This was orange/red on one side, and blue/green on the other, and had a VD track on the blue side, like the example shown here. It actually sounded much better than I expected. I later heard it claimed that the blue colour was produced by toning with a chemical, an iron compound, I think, which absorbs strongly in the infra red. I dn't know if this is correct.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-27-2002 09:13 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Leo, what state of decomposition was this film in, was it at the 'sticky' stage?
Yes; the outer layers were sticky and the inner 50 feet or so had decomposed to sludge.

quote:
...difficult to find anybody that will transport it, few labs will print it etc.
Transport really is a pain, but I've never had trouble finding labs that will handle nitrate. We use Hendersons for b/w and Soho Images (formerly Studio Film and Video) for colour. Both do an excellent job.

As for the Hendersons fire, the HSE concluded that it was impossible to identify the cause of the fire with 100% certainty. But from what I can remember, spontaneous ignition was a possibililty.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: