Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I need a QUIET CHEAP soundcard

Author Topic: I need a QUIET CHEAP soundcard
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-26-2002 09:15 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a soundblaster 16, but it was just too noisy. I need something as quiet as the Audigy series in a 50-60 dollar range. Anyone have any ideas?

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2002 09:28 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they still make it, the Sound Blaster Live! Value has done well for me in the past years.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-26-2002 09:31 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SBLive Value has a pretty high noise floor too. Mind you it is similar to that of the Audigy IIRC.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-26-2002 11:17 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont need something that can do 5.1 channels either, just stereo. My Audigy card is dead quiet when you crank it up w/ no signal. I just dont want to spend 150 bucks on something with more features than I need.

Josh

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-26-2002 11:31 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the D/A converter is switched off when the soundcard is not active. That would make it very quiet indeed. You could also play back a wav file with silence to make sure it is also as quiet when in action. Also check the noise level of the inputs by recording a piece of music with an input level setting with which it reaches full scale, then completely switch off the source and listen for the noise floor afterwards/check the level of the digitally recorded silence. Also record/playback full scale signals on the individual channels to find out if the channel seperation is ok.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-27-2002 02:37 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soundblaster 16 is [bs] . I still might have something that will work. Do you need it for a PCI or ISA slot?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-27-2002 07:27 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As another (more expensive) option, consider a digital soundcard and an external ADC. PC hardware is full of RF interference inside the box and most analog sound cards all suffer from this. A broken DAT or MD machine could be used as a cheap ADC.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-27-2002 08:13 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a Macintosh. We don't need no stinking soundcards! [Wink]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-27-2002 08:24 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Buy a Macintosh. We don't need no stinking soundcards!
At one of my friends recording studios, I used to use a Yamaha digital sound card with his Macintosh all the time. It would have been difficult without it. [Smile]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-27-2002 12:33 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it depends on what you're doing.

From an audio perspective, film editing is probably the most taxing thing I do with my Macs, and I don't yet need more than 2 output channels at one time. I would need an audio card if I wanted to do multi-tracking (i.e. more than 2 channels).

Alas, we're off-topic. This isn't helping Josh one bit, is it? Sorry, Josh.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-27-2002 12:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The built in sound cards on a Mac vary in quality. The one I have on my dual 1 gig MDD G4 is pretty good, but still lacks digital I/O. The one on my 450Mhz G4 distorted easily. I don't think there is an easy way to get 5.1 channels with a Mac... that is if you want to watch DVD movies in 5.1. You can easily mix 5.1 DVDs on a Mac though... much easier than on a PC. You'd think the Mac could play them back that way, but nooooo...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: