Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Recovery after Hibernation problem

Author Topic: Recovery after Hibernation problem
Danny Hart
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2002 06:47 PM      Profile for Danny Hart   Email Danny Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My PC “Hibernates” fine. Then, on recovery and after the BIOS ckeck, I get the DOS “Resuming Windows...” message and a progress meter. When it gets to the end of the meter, my PC reboots again. Then I get “The last attempt to restart the system from its previous location failed. Attempt to restart again?”, with the options “Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu?” or “Continue with system restart?”.

The first option starts windows again OK (but I have lost unsaved work), the second loops back to “Resuming Windows...” and the same happens again.

BTW, when Windows does restart, I get “The system has recovered from a serious error...” thing asking me to tell Microsoft aboot it.

The PC is ACPI-compliant, and it is enabled in the BIOS. Oh, and I’m using Win XP. Any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-28-2002 10:01 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might work, might not:

1. Disable hibernation. Hardboot a few times for fun.

2. Re-enable hibernation.

How much harddrive space do you have free?
Any new device drivers? Specifically video drivers?

Joe Smith
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2002 10:58 PM      Profile for Joe Smith   Email Joe Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar problem recently using Win2K on a laptop. Turned out a modem driver or a video driver was corrupt (can't remember which, both are very common), and auto-reboot on error was turned on in Win2K. I suspect you're having a driver fault on resume, and Win XP is set to auto-reboot on error. I'm not using XP so I don't know where to turn it off on that version.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-28-2002 11:11 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your laptop's BIOS require a "resume" file on the hard drive? I just re-did a laptop and had to download the file from Dell's website in order for it to stop giving me a BIOS error on bootup.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-29-2002 07:38 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second the video card theory. The W2K hibernate feature stopped working properly on my desktop after installing a new video card (exhibiting almost identical symptoms to those described by Danny), and all the versions of the driver Matrox had available for download wouldn't cure the problem.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: