Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Car Audio: MiniDisc (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Car Audio: MiniDisc
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2002 02:22 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My MD deck in my car died. The only two manufacturers that I know of who make MD units for the car are Sony and Kenwood. I haven't had the best of luck with my Sony MD products. I'm thinking of going for the Kenwood. Anybody have any suggestions? Do you know of any other manufacturers that make a car MD reciever? Thanks for the help.

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-01-2002 03:55 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

While I love my MD portables (I have two), I still prefer CDs for home and car use. There is nothing like listening to a brand new CD in the car as soon as I buy it. With a car MD deck, you will first have to get the CD home and than make a MD copy. Only after you had done that, you can play the MD copy in your car. I have been using Honolulu's excellent bus system lately and have have been using a Sony Sports portable CD player instead of one of my Sony MD portables because the sound it too soft. I have heard that other brands have MD player that can play discs at a much louder volume. I want to buy another brand but only Sony is available in Hawaii.

-Claude

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2002 05:23 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,

Thanks for the info. I, too, would love to be able to listen to a CD in my car as soon as I buy it, but as far as I'm concerned, you can't beat the convenience of MD's. And if I want to, I could also get a CD changer to go along with my MD reciever, so I could have the best of both worlds. If you're looking for the best MD gear around, check out www.minidisco.com. You'll find lots of other manufacturers besides Sony.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2002 05:30 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am intrigued with the idea of running MP3 in the car. In theory you could record hours of music on one CD. The only thing holding me back is that I am no longer interested in fiddling with music. I have no interest in spending hours ripping my CD collection.

So my car has the factory AM/FM Stereo still installed. [thumbsdown]

And no, that's not my car on the left.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-01-2002 05:56 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crutchfield has Sony, Kenwood, and Blaupunkt MiniDisc receivers.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-01-2002 06:27 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, you should visit Film-Tech Jr., I here they have lots of music for download. [Smile]

If Kenwood's MiniDisc head units are anything like their regular head units I wouldn't want it. [thumbsdown]

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2002 06:42 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, I swear by my portable MD unit, I take it everywhere including patching it into the non-sync at work!

When i'm in my car, I use one of those cassette adapters which plug into the cassette slot on my car radio with a wire trailing out which has a 3.5mm jack to plug into the output on my MD. Just another option for you, although it does help if you actually have a tape deck in your car!

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2002 07:32 PM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am intrigued with the idea of running MP3 in the car. In theory you could record hours of music on one CD. The only thing holding me back is that I am no longer interested in fiddling with music. I have no interest in spending hours ripping my CD collection.
I've been using Music Match Jukebox for the last few years and the free version rips cds at 10x normal playmode.
Music Match

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-01-2002 08:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had 2 Sony MiniDisc car systems. I took the bad one out and installed it into my girlfriends (at the time) car. I think she has been in 3 wrecks since then so I doubt it's working too well now. My current one is still running strong, however. I do agree that Sony does not make quality products. At least anything that has moving parts, anyway. They also are more expensive than they are worth. But this one is still running great, so something must have went wrong when they made my particular unit.

I have a Kenwood home unit and it is very reliable. It could be better thought out, though. Maybe try that Blank-put or whatever it is at Crutchfield.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-01-2002 08:29 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Sanyo build one? I thought Sharp built one, also.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-01-2002 08:46 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alpine has 3 MiniDisc models. The MDM-7741 can be found online for about $160.

Maybe the ultimate list of car MiniDisc systems: here Sanyo is on that list (not Sharp though). They claim Wal-Mart is selling the Sanyo for $65!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-01-2002 08:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo Alpine! I'd be interested in that!

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2002 08:54 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Pioneer also does single and multi units for there P-bus system

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2002 07:15 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I'm not big on what's hot an what's not when it comes to car audio, but I do recognize most brand-name manufacturers. Blauwho?? [Confused]

I used to have a tape deck in my car, but it died. So I decided if I was going to spend some money on a new car stereo, I might as well get a MiniDisc receiver. The Alpine models look expensive. And I don't trust a site that sells something with a MSRP of nearly $400, for only $160. (Anyone have any suggestions regarding that site? If it's trustworthy, I'll probablly go for that model, since it seems so reasonabley priced.)

David, thanks for the link. Especially the one that lists all the car MD players!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-02-2002 11:03 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blaupunkt was (still is?) a German company well-known for very high-quality car audio products, at least in the past. I have no idea what their stuff is like these days. They've been around for a LONG time though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: