Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Andrew McCrea

Author Topic: Andrew McCrea
Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2002 03:52 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading the Big Screen Biz forum in a thread where someone stated that maybe Andrew should be allowed back onto Film-Tech. And then I read a thread over here where someone made fun of Andrew. I read Big Screen everynight and have seen a much more mature Andrew over there. I believe that maybe he should be allowed back on a probationary period.

I have a few reasons for this,

1. Even though he was banned Andrew has posted no ill will towards Film-Tech on the other forum, this I believe is a sign of maturity.

2. It is not easy to be a young person with a desire for knowledge, I know first hand bieng a very young manager it is tough, I have to deal with a lot of people who refuse to take me seriously because I am young so I know what it is like.

3. Other forum members who commited much worse offenses than Andrew who have been banned have been let back after a period of time.

4. Andrew now has a job and that fits the membership requirement.

5. Its the holiday season and I believe it would be a very nice thing to do for a young man who is so eager to learn about our business.

I think that Brad could set some groundrules for him and set a probationary period so that if he cannot handle this forum it can be taken care of.

I have the feeling that I am going to be unpopular with some members for bringing this up, Maybe I should learn to just shut my mouth but I honestly feel the kid deserves another chance. If anyone doubts what I have said please go over to www.bigscreenbiz.com and read his posts you will find a more mature Andrew.

A lot of people on here talk about that old crabby IA guy who opened up the booth door and agreed to train them as young persons, Let's open the door for this young man all he wants to do is learn.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-03-2002 07:03 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew acted very immaturely when he participated in Film-Tech a few years ago, but he was only 13. I agree that his recent participation on http://www.bigscreenbiz.com has shown growing maturity. I support Andrew being allowed to participate in Film-Tech again on a probationary basis.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-03-2002 08:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll third that idea. Let him back in and see how he does.....
MArk

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 12-03-2002 08:52 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Sean's request. I have been browsing in Big Screen and Andrew postings do reflect a degree of maturity. I will vote to have Andrew reinstated on film-tech.

Greg Borr
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2002 09:11 AM      Profile for Greg Borr   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Borr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had conversations with Andrew on Bigscreenbiz as well a via e-mail, he has downloaded and played around with our software and asked many good questions, to me he is a very inquisitive and bright young man, I think he would do well here as he has proven himself on the other site.

Greg Borr
Ready Theatre Systems

"Men have become the tools of their tools" - Henry David Thoreau

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2002 09:14 AM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with what the others above have stated about Andrew. I think it's time that we invite him back.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2002 09:17 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had almost forgotten about that foolishness. Sure, give him another shot.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2002 09:23 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is this Andrew McCrea kid? What did he do to get banned from Film-Tech? I am a new member and know nothing of this, could some one inform me. Also why does Big Screen Biz look a like Film-Tech?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-03-2002 09:28 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can do a search for Andrew McCrea's postings. Here is the thread that got him in trouble:

Andrew McCrae Business Plan

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2002 09:45 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William, like Film-Tech, BigScreenBiz also uses UBB (Ultimate Bulletin Board) software to run the forums. Plus, I imagine that Film-Tech is a model forum website, and anyone else would strive to be as good. [Smile]

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2002 10:25 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John and Joe. I was unaware of Andrew's actions and the UBB software. I have seen many online forums but none like this. Thanks again [Smile]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-03-2002 11:43 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The great thing about F-T is the diversity of its membership: Old, young, newbies, veterans, technical gurus, floor staff, number crunchers, and people like myself who are not even in the business at all but who are just very interested in films & their exhibition. I read almost every thread on Film Handler's Forum with great interest, including stuff like how to fix oil leaks, or debates on the pros and cons of different dimmers. This despite the fact that I have never set my hands on anything in a professional projection booth, and I probably never will. [Big Grin] I just find it interesting. Likewise posts about booking issues, concession per-caps, etc. Why is this interesting to me? Beats me, it just is.

In Andrew's case, here's a kid who, despite whatever immaturity he may have shown, is clearly fascinated by this business and seems to sincerely want to become part of it. He asks a lot of questions, which elicits a lot of good info from other members. What he does with that information is really immaterial to me, since the mere posting of responses to Andrew's questions benefits many other people besides Andrew. I really don't care whether he uses the advice or ignores it, as long as he accepts the criticisms along with the atta-boys without getting snotty about it and pissing people off.

Now, if Andrew did what he is alleged to have done (sending obnoxious or threatening "anonymous" emails to film-techers who were critical of his business plan), I would consider that a pretty serious offense. But OTOH, Andrew has shown greater maturity over on bigscreenbiz, and to my knowledge has never said anything bad about F-T or anyone here. Based on the passage of time and his demonstrated willingness to learn and be a little more respectful toward people trying to help him, I say let him back in on some kind of a probationary period.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2002 01:23 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say, bring him back, but force him to use his old forum pic until he prooves himself [Wink]

=TMP=

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2002 01:33 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But a new pic would give Joe Redifer something new to satirize. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-03-2002 01:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Sean I do agree with you that Andrew has matured over the last year or however long it has been. However this should have been brought up via email. Such a decision is not the responsibility of the members unless put forth to them, which I do from time to time, but was not done here.

I have no idea how old he is at present. If he is not 16 yet, it won't even be considered. If he is, then I will consider it in a month or two, but not now due to the way this was handled. Threads like this are nothing more than Mommy vs. Daddy. ("Daddy said no, so I'll go behind his back and ask Mommy to get the answer I want to hear"...in this example myself being Daddy and the members being Mommy.) You are not the first to try the Mommy vs. Daddy tactic to get something done. And exactly how many times has it worked? Zero.

I'm sure the Mommy vs. Daddy tactic would not work at any of the theaters that the people who have responded to this thread work at either. Just imagine that you are a concessionist and one of your Managers has clearly stated that "this blah, blah will not happen until blah, blah happens". So what happens if you run to the other Manager and ask and he says yes? Do I need to continue? Would this situation solve anything other than to stir up problems in the workplace? Nope. However a private conversation with the original manager might have made a difference. Once a policy has been made, there is a right and a wrong way to go about getting it changed.

When Andrew is allowed back, I think it would be in his best interest to provide a current pic. I don't think his older pic would be appropriate. Of course part of Andrew being brought back should also be that Greg submit one too.

This is all for nothing anyway. When Andrew was removed from the forums he was told the requirements to re-join us was 16 years of age and a job, to just send me an email at or just before such time so I can set him up for re-admission. Pretty simple. He should be able to handle that on his own without having someone hold his hand. If he is 16 and can't handle that on his own, then he isn't mature enough yet to come back anyway.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: