Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Loew's Theatre up for Auction

Author Topic: Loew's Theatre up for Auction
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-05-2002 05:24 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 8 year old Loew's Streamwood 14 Theatre will be up for auction.
The auction is Dec. 19th.

www.dailyherald.com/search/main/story.asp?intlD=3759393

Thanks Daryl ( was right in the middle of a Academy screening, when
I started this.)

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 05:32 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link doesn't work.

=TMP=

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-05-2002 05:36 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Streamwood theater put up for auction

By Rukmini Callimachi Daily Herald Staff Writer
Posted on December 03, 2002

Fourteen theater screens in Streamwood may fade to black this month as the Loews Cineplex Theatre, the only multiplex in the Tri-Villages, goes up for auction on Dec. 19.

The opening bid for the theater complex, in the Westview Shopping Center on Buttitta Road, is $2.2 million, said auctioneer Alan Kravets of Sheldon Good & Co.

The 8-year-old theater has been a disappointment to the New York-based Loews Cineplex Entertainment Corp., especially since 1998, when the 30-screen AMC megaplex opened 5 miles away in South Barrington.

"Historically, the Loews corporation has closed buildings when they are under-performing," said Clair Malo, Loews' regional director for marketing and sales.

The sale of the Streamwood theaters follows a nationwide trend since 2001, when the Loews Corp. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. More than 37 screens at seven multiplexes in the Chicago area have been shuttered since a year ago, including ones in Naperville, Oak Brook and Downers Grove.

Kravets, whose auction house is handling the sale, described the Streamwood theater as the "plain Jane" of suburban multiplexes.

"If you go into it, you know the difference," he said. "There's nothing wrong with the theater - but the high-tech nature of our world has made the movie consumer much more demanding."

The first decision that a Streamwood, Bartlett or Hanover Park moviegoer faces is whether a 5-mile drive to South Barrington is worth the stadium-style seating, the reclining love seats and a sound system, which makes the opening bar of "Star Wars" sound like the climax of the Indy 500.

Streamwood officials say they are not worried about the impending sale because the theater generates relatively little sales tax.

"As far as property taxes, we get about $30,000 per year. If the theater is shuttered, then the assessed valuation of the property could dip slightly - but don't expect that to happen," said village Finance Director Dave Richardson. "The sales tax from the theater is negligible. It's basically just the popcorn."

Movie tickets are not taxable, so sales tax is generated by concession stand sales only.

The village stands to gain if the theater is sold to a retail chain - which will keep property tax revenue constant, but increase the gain from sales tax, Richardson said.

"Obviously we'd like to see it continue as an operating business," said Acting Village Manager Gary O'Rourke. A change in ownership, he said, also could create more synergy with local businesses.

"If it is operating as a viable business - whether as a theater or otherwise - it can also have an indirect impact on the rest of the community. Someone who stops in to see a movie, might drop by Wal-Mart, or go to dinner at a local restaurant afterwards," he said.

---
Daily Herald Article

www.dailyherald.com
Copyright © Daily Herald,
Paddock Publications, Inc.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-05-2002 05:40 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[never mind, Daryl beat me to it]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2002 05:50 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to make the first bid:

$1.00

Next?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-05-2002 09:38 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhh.... FIFTY CENTS! ...TWENTY-FIVE! (With apologies to Cary Grant...)

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 01:52 AM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting to see that they shuttered one in Downers Grove while the beautiful old single screen TIVOLI stills continues on downtown. A tip of the hat to the Johnsons, and Classic Cinemas.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 10:43 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Movie tickets are not taxable, so sales tax is generated by concession stand sales only.

Since when?

From my understanding.... they are in Tennessee
Someone care to correct me if I'm wrong?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-06-2002 06:27 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry...
Movies are considered an intangible service in states like mine, and aren't subject to retail sales taxes.

On the other hand, city and/or county governments can usually elect to impose an admission tax on ticket sales. In our state, I think it tops out at around 5%. State and city business & occupation taxes can also be applied.

The studios generously let you back the tax out of the admission gross you report to them, so you're not paying percentages on the money you pass along to the city/county coffers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: