Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Barakka" 70mm In Aspen, CO.

Author Topic: "Barakka" 70mm In Aspen, CO.
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-06-2002 01:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Aspen Opera House is running Baraka through 12/8 in (I assume) 70mm. They are equipped with a pair of Norelco DP-75's. I'll be there tonight hope to see some other Film-Techers there too.
Mark Gulbrandsen
CLACO Equipment And Service
Salt Lake City, UT

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 02:40 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Say hi from "Large" to Jon Busch who runs the place.

I saw the 70mm print of Baraka at the Castro Theatre in September. It was great to see it again.

Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 04:48 PM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Connecticut, Baraka is being shown in 70mm in Hartford on the Trinity college campus Dec 13-22. I don't know what projectors they use, but they do have a picture of them somewhere on their website.
http://www.cinestudio.org/

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-06-2002 06:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was informed "Baraka" will be playing in 70mm at the Paramount Theater in Austin, TX in late January. But it will be for a limited engagement. They'll have a 70mm Dolby Mag print of "Lawrence of Arabia" running 1/15-1/23 before then.

Austin is a fairly serious drive for me, but I am pretty tempted to go. I saw "Baraka" in 70mm back in January of 1994 at the UA Cine theater in Dallas. The Todd-AO 65mm photography was razor sharp. But that show had one serious drawback: much of the print had a deep scratch running through the middle of the frame, with some of it going right down to the yellow layer. The Paramount Theater will reportedly get a very nice print that ran at the Egyptian in L.A.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2002 11:11 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Paramount Theater will reportedly get a very nice print that ran at the Egyptian in L.A.
If the new print that ran at the Egyptian is what Austin gets then you won't have to worry about any annoying scratches or excessive wear and tear. I thought it looked great!

It's good to see Baraka getting booked in a variety of theaters. It seems few people have ever seen it. And to experience it in 70mm... WOW! If you ask me, I'll go ahead and make the claim that Baraka is the very best looking 70mm film ever made.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-07-2002 10:49 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Trinity college campus in Hartford, Connecticut uses Cinemecannica V8 projectors and Ashcraft carbon arc lamps. A very plesent fellow named James usually operates the booth.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 02:24 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More "in 70mm" here

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 12-09-2002 11:14 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which version of the film are we talking about? the 1992 version?

Josh

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 11:46 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many versions are there of Baraka?

Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 03:41 PM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John:

Thanks for the info on Cinestudio. Do you know if they have magnetic soundheads for 70mm?

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 12-10-2002 04:47 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
according to IMDB, four of them.

under the about us section there is a picture of the machines.

Josh

John Stewart
Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 11:42 PM      Profile for John Stewart   Email John Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, it is the 1992 feature.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-22-2002 10:38 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this tonight at the Cinestudio. Wow. It looked and sounded great. The print is slightly less than mint, but still in excellent shape. I hadn't been to the Cinestudio theatre before, but, once I found it, was very impressed--definitely one of the best film venues in New England. It is obviously run by people who care about quality presentation and worthwhile programming. And, yes, the print is 6-track mag with SR noise reduction.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: