Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » P.B.S. "This Old House" needs F.T. help! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: P.B.S. "This Old House" needs F.T. help!
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2002 05:10 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy this show and find it to be most interesting. However, it seems to me that they could use a little assistance in the area of home intertainment! So, I e-mailed them about the F.T. web-site, and hopefully they will take notice. Should this happen, it may give the film exhibition industry some needed exposure into main-stream society?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2002 06:23 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I am sufficiently confused. [Confused]
Sounds like a job for Matthew Bailey.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-07-2002 06:50 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will - What episode of "This Old House" are you referring to? Were they talking about trying to build a home theatre?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-07-2002 06:55 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This site is about home "intertainment" ? Who woulda thunk it? I thought maybe you were going to recommend FG as a wood finish.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2002 10:52 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Scott!
You can stomach Steve Thomas??? [puke]
So he made a boat, big deal. He is still about as boring as they come.
Bob Vila can kick his ass anytime.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-08-2002 02:38 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can stomach Steve Thomas???
I've had the chance occasion to chat with the principals of this show, when they visited State Farm Insurance headquarters several years ago for more funding. My wife worked there as an executive secretary, and I happened to stop by for lunch.

I found Steve Thomas to be much the gentleman. He's a good conversationalist, too.

Norm Abram, however, was stuffy and aloof. Maybe he was having a bad day, who knows, but since they were there asking for money, I would've thought he'd be more sprite...

Completely the opposite as I'd expected.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2002 02:45 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, apparently Bob Vila is completely useless in reality, and was only chosen to host the show because he was well liked by test audiences, not because he had any real background in home repair. It actually makes watching him on shows & TV commercials kinda funny. Especially when he turns to a random carpenter or electrician and goes "Need a hand with that?"

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2002 04:35 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Vila looks like he just annoys the contractors on his show....some professional.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-08-2002 09:27 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats why Bob Villa has been relegated to just doing commercials for Sears. I was never impressed by him either......Norm is a hell of a carpenter and true artist....may artists are prima donnas....
Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-08-2002 10:01 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always had a problem with Villa because whenever he was discussing a technique with an electrician, plumber, whomever, it was almost like he wasn't listening to what they were saying because he would impatiently jump on the end of their sentences and at times even interrupting them with his own explanation. I found this very annoying and eventually abandoned the show because of it. I guess in the light of Andrew's post, ole Bob was in a hurry to "get on with it" because he didn't have a clue what they were talking about. [Smile]

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2002 11:10 AM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked Norm on New Yankee Workshop, especially when I was in my "carpentry phase" in high school. Even tried a couple projects from his show in my high school workshop which came out pretty good, mostly due to his instruction and my teacher's patience. Vila always just got to me, don't know why. Maybe I was subconciously recognizing this apparent lack of practical knowledge you are all talking about.

There was a show on TLC I watched for a while too which was pretty entertaining with a man and woman hosting, cannot remember the name for some reason but it was about home repair/improvement.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2002 12:07 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, I think you are referring to HomeTime. I agree also that Bob Vila is pretty annoying. Norm Abram can work wonders with wood. (And a shop full of the best tools that he most likely gets for free)

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2002 02:12 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I admit ole Bob is a little annoying but I believe his claim to fame was a restoration project he did way back when.
I think the guy knows his stuff but since he has to host the show he has to bring out certain points that pertain to whats going on and that may seem pushy to some I think thats the only way to get the show taped with a minimum of interuption.
Norm is just a carpenter who was not bred to be a TV personallity so that why he comes accros like he does. I imagine he would be happy to just do his job and not have to put up with TV. The thing that bothers me the most with Vila is his need to tour other homes, I could care less about that. I want to see the work going on and the how and whys of it. As far as Thomas goes, He too ask if he can give a hand and he may be a nice guy but I don't think he is as good as Vila.
Hometime is pretty entertaining to me, but if you watch closely you can see them mess up on something and pretend it never happens. I have seen them strip out screws half nail something, etc. But I guess once the taping stops they get the real people to come in and fix it up. [thumbsup]

Getting back to the subject, I think it would be nice to see a home renovation with someone building a REEL home theater. With a nice newly restored BX80, 9030 soundhead, Dolby Rack, etc with a state of the art video projection system to back in up so you can veiw your favorite DVD's.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-08-2002 08:09 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget the home theatre and rebuild projectors instead. "This Old Projector" Not for broadcast of course but someone could do a line of DVD's.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-08-2002 08:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This here thread is the reason I yelled and screamed to become a moderator. It belongs in Yak.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: