Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Martial Arts Film Festival

Author Topic: Martial Arts Film Festival
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2002 09:56 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone on the board ever been a part of a Martial Arts film festival? Would you know which film company has the largest library of them?

Thanks - any help would be appreciated.....

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2002 11:22 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the Shaw Brothers' classics are going to be hard to find in the US. They tend to keep a tight hold on their prints. Most of the films of Jackie Chan and Jet Li are probably still unavailable thanks to Miramax. Golden Harvest (US) had some, but they have dissolved and some of their film holdings went to another company, the name of which escapes me at the moment. (It's something like PineTree. [Confused] I'll keep thinking) Asian Media Access has a few titles.

What kind of films do you have in mind? Are you putting together a festival?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 02:34 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I am in Vegas - I figured it is a possiblity. Yes - I am trying to put something together. I have spoke to so many people about film festivals - there is a lot of sponsorship money out there for these type of things. Since I am a huge martial arts fan - I wanted to see if I could pull it off.... We will see........... [thumbsup]

Some possible titles:

Enter The Dragon
Legend of Drunken Master
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Once Upon a Time in China -- I, II, and III
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
Fists of Fury
The Perfect Weapon

Maybe spotlight a few directors, actors, and producers:

Jet Li
Jackie Chan
John Woo
Tsui Hark
Bruce Lee
Chuck Norris
Jeff Speakman

There is a million possiblities. I guess I could make it an asian film festival and throw some of the great John Woo/ Chow Yun Fat movies in there and some of Tsui Hark's directorial efforts. John Woo is my favorite director - Hard Boiled and The Killer are action classics.Jet Li is my favorite martial art film actor.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 07:38 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tai Seng has an office in L.A. They will possibly have some films that will fit the bill as well. If you really want to put some effort in, you could try to import some prints from Hong Kong. Unfortunately, that may be the only way for you to get some of the titles you are looking for. That gets expensive really quickly though. Good luck!

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 12:15 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Joe, Pinetree Productions, +1 310 203 8182. We had God of Gamblers II from them this past spring, I believe.

--jhawk

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-09-2002 08:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chuck Norris is phiggidy phat!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: