Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Other Countries Other Formats?

Author Topic: Other Countries Other Formats?
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 04:38 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We in the USA only occasionally hear about other makes of projectors from the various corners of the globe. But what about sound? Are there any other sound formats out there that we don't know about? First of all is there any digital beyond SR-D, SDDS, and DTS? Perhaps not but what about analog tracks--must be plenty of folks turning out Dolby-like SVA tracks under their own brand name. What else...any strange formats like multitrack VA or color based...things that were toyed with here but never caught on?

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 04:59 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think film sound is pretty standard throughout the world, but there is considerable variation in that used for television systems.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 05:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In france there was a magneto optical disk system that DTS I heard eventually had to buy out over the patents

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 05:49 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use the Magneto Optical Disc format on our Digital Dubbers
here in New York.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-09-2002 06:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Germans apparently still have 16mm mag striping capability, though the format is all but dead in the US.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 06:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Akai digi dubber uses a magneto opticle disk but I believe the issue with the french system was the use of on board timecode

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2002 10:19 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The French magneto-optical system was LC Concept. Search the Film Handlers Forum for "LC Concept".

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-11-2002 11:35 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Germans apparently still have 16mm mag striping capability, though the format is all but dead in the US.
That may be true, since there are a few very good printing labs in Berlin and Munich which might have the capability. However, 16mm is hardly ever used anymore and has been practically replaced by digital formats for TV and documentary production.
In the cinema, there are exactly the same formats as everywhere. At the beginning of the 90s, Kinoton proposed a digital format for the cinema but I have no idea what it was. I would have to find out. AFAIK, CDS was never commercially introduced here but I know some people who say it has been demonstrated to exhibitors in Munich once.
As everywhere, Dolby Digital is by far the most commonly used digital format. Many of the newer multiplexes also have dts and some of the bigger screens also have SDDS. It is not uncommon for big screens to have two or even three digital formats. In the field of analogue processors, the original Dolby units are installed almost everywhere. Manufacturers like Smart or Panastereo are extremely rarely to be found.
In the olden days, there was a mono format which is commonly called "Klangfilm" after the manufacturer which was superior to Academy mono in that the HF were not as steeply filtered off.
The other difference to overseas is that most cinemas have Kinoton or Ernemann projectors. American projectors like Christie are very rare. A lot of "older" cinemas still have the Philips or Bauer projectors which are very sturdy.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-11-2002 11:36 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That may be true, since there are a few very good printing labs in Berlin and Munich which might have the capability. However, 16mm is hardly ever used anymore and has been practically replaced by digital formats for TV and documentary production.
In the cinema, there are exactly the same formats as everywhere. At the beginning of the 90s, Kinoton proposed a digital format for the cinema but I have no idea what it was. I would have to find out. AFAIK, CDS was never commercially introduced here but I know some people who say it has been demonstrated to exhibitors in Munich once.
As everywhere, Dolby Digital is by far the most commonly used digital format. Many of the newer multiplexes also have dts and some of the bigger screens also have SDDS. It is not uncommon for big screens to have two or even three digital formats. In the field of analogue processors, the original Dolby units are installed almost everywhere. Manufacturers like Smart or Panastereo are extremely rarely to be found.
In the olden days, there was a mono format which is commonly called "Klangfilm" after the manufacturer which was superior to Academy mono in that the HF were not as steeply filtered off.
The other difference to overseas is that most cinemas have Kinoton or Ernemann projectors. American projectors like Christie are very rare. A lot of "older" cinemas still have the Philips or Bauer projectors which are very sturdy.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-11-2002 12:20 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael wrote:

quote:

At the beginning of the 90s, Kinoton proposed a digital format for the cinema but I have no idea what it was. I would have to find out.

One of the BKSTS wallcharts shows a sample of Kinoton film, which has what appears to be some form of time code, just outside the perforations, so I assume that it must have been a sound on disk system.

I also saw reports of somebody, I think it may have been Strong, working on a system using 30cm optical disks.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-11-2002 01:45 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen wrote:
quote:
I also saw reports of somebody, I think it may have
been Strong, working on a system using 30cm optical disc.

The Strong system was called DLS "Digital Laser Sound"

Over at Universal's Sound Department they made a Projection
Guide to Digital Sound Systems. It show a JJ decked out with
all the Digital readers. [Big Grin]

CDS, SRD, SDDS, DTS, DLS

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-11-2002 05:27 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is what a German projectionist`s manual which was published in early 1991 and has never since been updated has to say about the Kinoton sound system (quickly translated):

"Kinoton have, in connection with a new aspect ratio favoured by them, which uses the whole area between the perforation for the image, proposed and demonstrated on technology exhibitions a system of digital recording and playback on compact disc which is called HDFS (High Definition Film and Sound System). Two CD players are integrated into the audio rack and electronically coupled to the projector in a way which keeps picture and sound synchronised at all times, even in the event of a filmbreak. The production of release prints and the separate compact discs however will be an a new challenge to printing labs and distributors."

It doesn`t say anything about the channel configuration or if the audio content on the CDs was compressed. Maybe they used 2-channel matrixed PCM. I am going to talk to the boss of Kinoton`s Berlin office next week, I`ll ask him then and I`ll also ask him if they sued dts [Wink]
The manual also describes CDS and mentions that it had been demonstrated in Munich in December 1990 and that the demonstration had been very convincing but the high costs were seen as "a high barrier".
It goes on to describe the new system by Dolby, Dolby Stereo SR*D and says that demonstrations had been announced for the spring of 1991. According to the manual, the concept of SR*D sounded "appealing" but it remained to be seen if it worked in practice...

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-12-2002 02:52 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Michael's comments about Tobis-Klangfilm. I saw a nitrate print of the 1931 Die 3-groschenoper last year and the dynamic range sounded almost like Dolby A-type. It was certainly a hell of a lot better than a Movietone VD or RCA unilateral VA track from the same period would have sounded like played back on the same equipment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: