Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Solution to expose theaters cheating on aspect ratio (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Solution to expose theaters cheating on aspect ratio
Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 07:46 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Directors need to compose titles such that it will be OBVIOUS that some screens are capable of displaying only 2:1 for a 2.35 ratio.

I saw Punch drunk Love on a screen which I am guessing is 2:1(the 1.85:1 trailers were filling up a good portion of the width). THis is AMC's Phipps Plaza in Atlanta- one of their better theaters.

While it was obvious to the trained eye, that shoulder and noses weer egetting cut off in some shots, causal viewers were not bothered because they just assumed the actor was intended to be shown that way. What Paul Anderson should do is put his titles all the way to the end. This way if there is some serious cropping, the theater will generate more complaints. And just like product placement is done in movies, why not frame some important shots where a really important object is right on the edge of the screen that even a moron would be able to tell that they are being cheated by the theater.

This won't affect the pan and scan version as much since you could pan one end in one scene and the other end in another scene.

I was so mad after the movie and I couldnt find anyone to complain about except for a security officer. It was the final show of the night. I even asked one of the guys before the movie if the small screen was capable of showing the entire aspect ration. The guy said yeah.

THe problem is even if I boycott AMC, other chains are just as bad here. I cant boycott everyone. No wonder I have no problem supporting those who choose to sneak in another movie after paying for one. If the theaters are determined to slip in sneakily a video experience, the patron might as well get video type prices and compensate themselves since a lot of the customer service has gotten worse lately.

I saw The Truth About Charlie at AMC MAnsell in Atlanta. The sound was like my old spare 20 inch tv turned loud. It was clear, but definitely not played in the right sound format and sounded with less oomph than even good mono. The manager was some dumb lady who claimed at first the sound was in surround and was fine. When I met her again after the movie and challenged the surround claim, she said that it was in dolby surround and that the auditorium was probably not compatible. I looked at the paper and it said the ad said was in DTS with no other optional sound types. Shouldn't the theater have played it only a compatible auditorium or warned us about the sound?
The lady didnt even seem apologetic, let alone even bother to give me a pass.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-09-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, most anamorphic subjects are composed so that the majority of action (and often title placement) will remain unaffected, when the movie is transferred to video.

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 10:11 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed many theaters who advertise a specific digital sound format and then end up playing it in analog. The managers tend to care more about how many seats are in specific theaters and thier convenience with cleaning schedules than to make sure that the film playing in the theater has the digital soundtrack that corresponds with the digital sound in the theaters. I have many times asked GM's when they do the movie schedule or print moves to make sure that the prints correspond with the digital in the theaters. I usually get some response like, "the customers can't tell the difference", or "
Why are you being so difficult? This theater has 5 more seats we can sell." [Roll Eyes]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-09-2002 10:24 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth.. John P had a neat idea.. hold a (US) dollar bill in front of your view of the screen. The "aspect ratio" of a dollar bill is close to 2.39. Although, this wouldn't tell you if the wrong lenses were being used.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-10-2002 07:14 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And a typical USA business card is 2 x 3.5 inches.

3.5 / 2 = 1.75:1 (just slightly less wide than 1.85:1)

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 12:46 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dollar bill & business card trick is the coolest thing I've learned in months!

How can you tell a film-techer is in the audience? No he's not admiring the oodles of cash he makes in this business or his fancy new business cards - he's checking to see if your aspect ratio sucks so he can "out" your poor presentation on Film-Tech.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 01:00 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at an 8-plex that had 4 auditoriums with movable side masking, and the other 4 with fixed 1.85:1. [Frown]

Two very memorable complaints were for "Dogma" (The opening featured text that reached almost all the way across the screen) which was chopped off on the sides, and "The World is Not Enough" when the words "### Million Dollars" became just "Million Doll". The films were promptly moved to the 2.39:1 capable houses regardless of how many seats were in there. Those last few customers that came at the end of the film's run deserved a "complete" picture just like those who came on opening day. [Smile]

=TMP=

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-10-2002 01:34 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, was this a Cinemuck house?

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 01:40 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you go to one of these theaters, you should cut the sides off of your money before paying! [Smile]
And just to rant a bit here, I worked at a 6-plex with only 2 DTS screens and analog on the other 4- they played the Star Wars reissue (which was in DTS) on one of the analog screens while both DTS screens were running films that were only in Dolby Digital, hence they were also being played in analog.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 02:20 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim -- Nope. It was something else before it was Cobb, then it went Regal, and now it's Phoenix Theatres. Phoenix completely remodeled the place, adding new concession equipment, carpeting, bathrooms, sound systems, speakers, screens.... but no vertical masking!!! [Mad]

=TMP=

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 06:40 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been outing two local theatres (Regal hollywood 18, Madison Square 12) for years on my www site hsvmovies.com . At least I've heard from someone important that the work to install vertically-moving masking on the 1.85:1-only screens is supposedly being done between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet since I've been busy with the end of the semester at school.

Evans A Criswell

"The Aspect Ratio Police"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-10-2002 06:56 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse, that's a good idea. Then tell them it is still too much money to spend to buy a ticket to watch a cropped movie.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 09:23 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you did have a 1.85:1 fixed-width house ... how difficult would it be to re-do the lenses & plates so that the Scope would just utilize a 2.35:1 area of the screen and just have some unmasked screen showing?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2002 09:40 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the theaters that don't have a scope lens, much less movable masking [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-12-2002 10:51 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse Skeen wrote: "If you go to one of these theaters, you should cut the sides off of your money before paying!"

That's a great idea! Certainly would get the attention of the theatre management to their substandard presentation. While you're at it, give them a copy of my article:

Caring About Composition

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: