Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » U. S. Warns of Nuclear Response (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: U. S. Warns of Nuclear Response
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-11-2002 12:25 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An AOL News Attention-getter stated, "You Gas us, We'll Nuke You."

The Associated Press has the late-breaking story.

I guess President Bush holds the trump card if Saddam Hussein of Iraq pulls any wild punches.

If this comes to pass, I am in full support of President Bush and Congress. There is a six-page strategy outline that underscores a long-standing policy that the United States reserves the right to respond with overwhelming force - including a resort to all of our options - to the use weapons of mass destruction against the United States, our forces abroad and friends and allies."

As a side note from me, I recall a quote from General George S. Patton. He said "When you put your hand in a bunch of goo that used to be your best friend's face,...You'll know what to do."

I know what to do.

Paul G. Thompson
USN (Ret)

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2002 01:41 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bend over
Stick you head between your legs
and kiss your ass goodbye!

I'm so glad that "W" is president. It so trivializes sex as a scandelous topic. We are no longer worried about who's fucking whom [sex] but now we can worry about our very existance.

Well, I for one will sell movie tickets to the very endl. [beer]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2002 02:27 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This really isn't that earth-shattering. Normally someone in the press will ask a military spokesman if they would consider using nuclear weapons during a conflict. Of course they always say yes, that the whole point of nuclear weapons-you act like your going to use them but you never will. Having the President come out and say it is more significant but not fundamentaly different.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 12-11-2002 02:29 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am Glad W is President also. I am also glad that Nancy Pelosi lives in California and doesn't represent me. [Mad]

Adam: She is the new minority leader in the congress who is demanding that that Trent Lott resign and that he be censored by the Republican Party.

Yes, This is important enough for you to cancel your trip to Vegas and rally all citizens of California for her removal. Please advise her that she should find a Vulcan and have a mind melt.

Hillery:It is my understanding from what I have heard on the New York talk shows, Trent Lott's voting record shows no indication that he supports segregation of any sort.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-11-2002 02:57 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Who the hell is Nancy Pelosi? Is this something I need to take care of before my Vegas Vacation? [Smile]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-11-2002 05:34 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin, from what I read of the matter, it is much more than an off-the-wall statement conjured up by the Media. Al Gore also supports it, and from what I understand, a six-page outline will be presented to Congress Wednesday.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2002 06:33 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't we all just get along?

Personally, I am sick and tired of our government coming out and saying "IF he does this, we'll do this to him. IF he doesn't comply we will make him comply, IF IF IF."

It's like a schoolyard threat-match going on! SHEESH!

I'm glad George W. Bush is our president, too. So people will see who not to vote for in 2004.

=TMP=
"Quick! My approval rating is going down! Find me a country to bomb!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-11-2002 07:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Nuclear threat is just the ticket to get the total loss of support from the rest of the world and put all of the US world wide relations into the dumpster.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2002 08:40 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the festivities for Senator Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party, Sen. Trent Lott proclaimed that when Thurmond ran for President back in the 1940's as a segregationist, Lott's state voted for him. Lott went on to say that he was proud of his state's support for Thurmond and that if he had won back then, we wouldn't have some of the problems that we do today.

Of course, now that there's an outcry, Lott has backpedaled and implied that it was all taken out of context. Sometimes, these people reveal a little too much about themselves, and get upset when others hear it. If the voters elect him as to represent them, that's their business, I wouldn't. Then again, I wouldn't have voted for former Ku Klux Klansman Robert Byrd, either.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-12-2002 02:03 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'if Iraq uses chemical or biological weapons then we will nuke Baghdad' threat is nothing new. It is alleged to have been issued by Bush Senior in the 1990-91 Gulf war, according to the shit lit novelist Frederick Forsyth, who made this a major plot point in his book The Fist of God. In a recent radio interview, Forsyth claimed to have got this from a CIA contact he met in the course of researching the novel.

Adam: Nancy Pelosi got a mention in the coverage of the mid-term elections on the main evening news programme on British radio, The World Tonight, last month. If I remember correctly she is an extreme left-wing Democrat senator from California, who has consistently voted against the US initiating war in the Middle East. The piece I heard speculated that 11 September might have jeopardised her chances of re-election, but it seems that it didn't.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-12-2002 02:05 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny, Clinton comes out a few years ago at a press dinner and directly makes a "black guy" joke (his language) regarding Janet Reno, Rush Limbaugh, and Justice Thomas, and these sanctimonious hypocrites never said a word. They just laughed right along with Bubba.

So, I have to laugh when they start raising hell about something they're inferring Lott meant.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2002 05:34 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

Do you remember the exact joke? And what press dinner that was? I'd like to find a transcript of that, as sometimes in second- or third-hand versions tend to lose accuracy. I'm sure Limbaugh didn't let it go, and reported it fairly.

Clinton was forgiven for a multitude of "mistakes," but was pounced upon for many more. I can remember when Reagan joked into an open microphone, "I've just declared war on Russia. We begin bombing in five minutes." There are jokes, and then there are jokes. A rock group used his voice clips in a song called "Five Minutes," which I really did find funny.

Since I don't know the Clinton joke, I can't compare that and Lott's comments. Was the joke in harmony with any of Clinton's public policies? Lott had made similar statements in 1980, neither time as a joke. If his voting record doesn't reflect these comments, the issue should die.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2002 09:55 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nukes have been a deterrent since they were invented. Remember the term "nuclear deterrent"? That has what has kept the world from blowing itself up. There has ALWAYS been the threat of retaliation by overwhelming force. Our president is just reminding the bad guys of the consequences of their actions. Children and idiots often have to be reminded of the consequences of their actions. For those of us that have lived through the cold war this is nothing new.
As for the Bush bashers out there....
Maybe if he played a saxophone in his underwear on MTV and got BJs in the white House while he was supposed to be doing his job, you'd like him more?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-12-2002 01:51 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary, it was around '92 - '94, and something very close to "Did you hear Rush Limbaugh defend Janet Reno the other day? He only came to her aid because she was being attacked by a black guy." I remember it distinctly and I've heard the clips. He said "black guy". The libs and the press would be out for blood if a conservative had said that.

Nobody knows what was in Lott's mind. They are inferring everything. Clinton actually said this.

A disgraceful, racist joke if I ever heard one, which he got a wide open pass on. Where was Jesse Jackson? Republicans can't even say the word black without being accused of being racist. It's these kinds of double-standards that people remember come election time.

Here's the test for fairness: turn the joke around and see if it still gets a pass. Imagine President Bush referring to Jesse Jackson and saying, "Did you hear Tom Daschle defend Katherine Harris the other day? He only came to her aid because she was being attacked by a black guy." I don't have to tell you what would've followed that dinner.

Yes, Clinton was taken to task for many things, and he should've been; he got by with a lot more than he had to answer for.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-12-2002 03:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Lott/Thurmond/Pelosi story hit the British news media this evening (quite a long way behind Mrs. Blair's strange friends, but it was there). The line they're taking is that thusfar, Thurmond's segregationist agenda when he ran for president in 1948 had been carefully avoided by pretty much everyone who has spoken about him in public... until Lott made that speech. Pelosi led the charge in response, but speculation is that by explicitly stating the view that the US would have been a better place if the civil rights movement had been crushed, Lott has made his position untenable. They interviewed a left-leaning Republican senator (sorry, can't remember the name) who expressed the view that President Bush might well end up having to ask Lott to resign for fear of the negative publicity that would result if he didn't.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: