Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Wild Thornberrys, "CinemaScope" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Wild Thornberrys, "CinemaScope"
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-13-2002 09:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Promotional materials for "The Wild Thornberrys Movie" are pointing out that the film is in 'scope. [Cool] The voiceover in a TV ad mentions that it's in "CinemaScope", and this interview with Gabor Csupo (one of the creators) also mentions it: Gabor Csupo

A review that praises the filmmakers for using scope (scroll down): Cartoon Research Review

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-14-2002 12:42 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Reel 5 is only credits. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 12:47 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe "Iron Giant" was also a 'scope cartoon. I was excited about it when we showed it, even though no one showed up.

Then I saw a 24-hour marathon of it on TV. Do you think in ONE of those showings during the marathon they'd show the letterbox version? NOPE! It was horribly pan-n-scanned.

I think the release of Scope cartoons, (Anastasia, Iron Giant, Wild Thornberrys) shows that the studio is indeed releasing the movie for theaters first, and Home Video as an afterthought. The way it SHOULD be! [Cool]

=TMP=

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 04:22 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Promotional materials for "The Wild Thornberrys Movie" are pointing out that the film is in 'scope.
The scope status of this title has been known for some time. It was added to Widescreen Review's online Scope Filmography several weeks ago.

Some other animated scope features from the past decade have included:
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
A Bug's Life
The Thief And The Cobbler (aka Arabian Knight)

...and perhaps another couple I'm overlooking.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-14-2002 05:25 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also place 'Titan A.E.' on that animated Scope films list.

-Aaron

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 07:35 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-14-2002 08:33 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that my point wasn't that the film is in scope, it was that the makers are actively promoting scope as a superior format.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-14-2002 09:14 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The king of this category (as in fairly recent Scope animated films) is Fox's "Anastasia" (1997) which was officially in CinemaScope per the credits although what that actually meant from a production standpoint we never did figure out. But I don't think any others can make that claim.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-14-2002 10:19 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't "Lady and the Tramp" one of the first animated features in CinemaScope?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 10:27 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The scope status of this title has been known for some time.
Possibly by at least (hopefully) the filmakers/animators in the planning stages. [Big Grin]

quote:
Wasn't "Lady and the Tramp" one of the first animated features in CinemaScope?
Yes, the first actually. Both a standard academy and scope version were filmed.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 10:33 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://animationhistory.com/lady/Animation/animation.html

Found that interesting tidbit about Lady and the Tramp being the first scope animated feature.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-14-2002 10:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember some Tom and Jerry cartoons being in CinemaScope.

Of other recent animated 'scope films, you might throw in "Osmosis Jones" (of course some of it is live action, but a great deal of it is animated).

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 11:08 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember some Tom and Jerry cartoons being in CinemaScope.
Yes! I'm lucky enough to have many of them on laserdisc, letterboxed. I hate to see them on TV with the opening titles letterboxed than they go to full chop when the cartoon starts, especially after seeing them properly on laserdisc.

Wasn't "Toot, Whistle, Plunk, and Boom" the first cartoon ever done in Cinemascope? It was a short cartoon, not a movie.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 12-14-2002 11:16 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Winds of Change" aka "Metamorphesus" from 1976 was scope, and anime to boot [Cool]

Josh

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2002 11:58 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wasn't "Toot, Whistle, Plunk, and Boom" the first cartoon ever done in Cinemascope?
Yes. It debuted with the second CinemaScope feature, Fox's How To Marry a Millionaire" on November 10,1953 at Brandt's Globe and Loew's State theatres on Broadway in NYC. It was billed as one of the "first great shorts in CinemaScope;" the other being The Coronation Parade, also part of the same program.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: