Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Japan Builds Fastest Supercomputer

Author Topic: Japan Builds Fastest Supercomputer
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-17-2002 10:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is from my Yahoo News Briefs........5 times faster than anything we have! Very amazing to say the least. I wonder how much juice this thing uses at top speed? Hey Joe...how would your Mac stack up against this thing?

Mon Dec 16,10:57 PM ET

A part of the Earth Simulator, the fastest supercomputer in the world, is seen in Yokohama, southwest of Tokyo, Friday, Nov. 29, 2002. Running 35.6 trillion calculations per second, the Earth Simulator is the fastest supercomputer in the world, almost five times faster than the next best one and as fast as the top 20 U.S. supercomputers combined.
Here is the link to the article......
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20021217/ap_on_hi_te/japan_supercomputer_1
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-17-2002 10:37 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, remember a million years ago when the USA was so proud when they drilled a hole through the human hair? Supposedly, we sent the drill bit to Japan. They sent the drill bit back to us, with a hole drilled in the drill bit.

40 years ago, Japanese Electronics were pure [bs] . Today, it is the finest and most reliable in the world, so it seems. The quality is superb.

Someone told me that when the LCD display chip was being developed, we could not make it work as planned. Japan snagged it and made it work.

Someone told me some time ago we were working on developing some type of aircraft. We could not make it fly very well. Japan told us to the effect if "You guys can't, we will" [Big Grin]

Sad part for us: It has been said that the Worst Japanese student that has passing grades in science and technology was Better than our best students in the same field. From what I see in some of our high school graduates, there may be quite a bit of truth to that.

....and I read in today's news: In 1903, Orville and Wilbur Wright built and flew the first airplane and launched modern aviation, but nearly 100 years later modern aviation is still not sure how the two brothers did it. Our computers still not have come up with an answer, apparently. [Big Grin]

....and how many years did it take to figure out the technology Ancient Egyptians used to erect the Obelisks without the damn thing breaking in pieces? It was finally figured out... [Eek!]

http://www.senchenko.net/LifeMatters/mysteries.html

Our computers could not solve that 10 years ago, either.

Remember the Kingdome in Seattle? When that was built, the domed concrete roof was lowered into place by letting sand out of the sand traps of the columns that supported the roof....and before the engineers did that, everyone (it seems) said "It isn't gonna work."

OK, so I am on a knowledge quest tonight... [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-18-2002 01:53 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, my Mac doesn't NEED to stack up against that since it is my new Mac that they are talking about! [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-18-2002 09:32 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak OLED technology is finding its way into many Japanese products:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/display/index.jhtml

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/corp/display/whatsNew.jhtml

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-19-2002 08:15 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

I wouldn't be too sure as to how the egyptians did things...there are still many theories as to how they actually did things. The sand pit as described in your linked article was definately one way discussed and demonstrated.

I don't recall the sand pit method being the best of the ones demonstrated.

There is a series of programs that investigate how things were done before the industrial revolution (I want to say the Discovery Channel has it)...quite interesting indeed.

Steve

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-19-2002 12:56 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, it is amazing that we still not learned the "tricks of old" yet, isn't it? The more I read about things of old we don't know how to do this day with computers or any other method, the more I laugh. [Smile]

I watched that documentry on TV several years ago, and at the end of the program it was mentioned that "if anyone has a theory, please let us know."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: