Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Who do you Boycott & Why? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Who do you Boycott & Why?
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-19-2005 06:05 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since my post three years ago, Virgin Trains has come off the list - they've become a lot more reliable. British Airways (Shitish would be more accurate) is now on it, though. In summer 2003 I had to go to a meeting in Frankfurt with a broadcaster to whom a big footage sale was on the cards, with a lot of potentially valuable revenue for my archive. The Newcastle to Heathrow plane was two hours late ('due to staff shortages'), meaning that I missed my connection. I just made the meeting, but there were delays and hassles coming home, too. Then the following New Year, a friend came to stay from Washington DC. Despite having checked in three hours early, she was 'bumped' from the overbooked flight, and had to wait six hours for the next one. She also asked the check-in agent to 'phone me and let me know. This BA failed to do, meaning that I spent six hours in the middle of the night in the Manchester arrivals area. Even then it was a battle to get the BA staff at Manchester to tell me what was going on. What with that and all the wildcat strikes that have affected them, this all says to me that travelling on BA is one big risk to be avoided.

For both of my US trips this year (one in September and one coming up at the end of this month), their quotes were pretty competitive: but I've still gone with the slightly more expensive KLM/Northwest option, because (so far at least) the extra £20 or so has guaranteed an on-time arrival and a high standard of service.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-19-2005 10:08 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst KLM might be ok NWA is to be avoided at all costs here in the US. They are famous for their drunk pilots and odd ground incidents that seem to occur with some regularity.... Once inside the US I reccomemnd flying Delta, United, or American.

Shades of Airbus and Jet Blue!
 -

Both the pilot and co-pilot received a bad owie from this one.
 -

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-19-2005 11:00 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's what I call blowing your no-claims bonus! How did it happen, though? If the DC-9 had run forwards into the larger plane, then at that angle its wing would surely have hit the larger plane's fuselage long before the DC-9's cockpit got anywhere near the larger plane's (don't recognise what type it is) wing. My only guess would be that the larger plane was reversing away from an airport gate when the impact happened, and the impact itself caused the back of the DC-9 to rotate. In that case the impact must have been quite hard and the DC-9 pilots had a lucky escape.

I've made three NW transatlantic trips now, and all have been on time, safe and trouble-free. OK, the DC-10s are showing their age; but I'd much prefer a noisy old plane to massive delays and being left stranded by wildcat strikes, both of which BA seems prone to.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-19-2005 12:14 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boycott NWA Airlines? You can't do that! It's the airline of Dr. Dre, Eazy E, Ice Cube and MC Ren! Straight Outta Compton, Biatch!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2005 12:36 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at Target for about 5 years during college, and there was one weekend where there was no one in the back stockroom, as that Friday immigration raided the place or something like that, and nearly 90% of the backroom workers turned out to be illegals.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2005 01:32 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Boycott NWA Airlines? You can't do that! It's the airline of Dr. Dre, Eazy E, Ice Cube and MC Ren! Straight Outta Compton, Biatch!
I was affraid I'd have to be the one to make the connectionl...

Personally I boycott Wallace Theaters.
I will set foot only in one and only one to write down their prices, chat with the one manager I know, or pick up something.

Back in the day I worked for them. Not only did they let go a great management team (I've ranted about this before) they refused to pay their employees near what they were worth.
Changing lamps, and maintaining projectors while supervising new floor staff is NOT a $6.75 job.
I'd rather drive to my theaters or Regal to watch something. At least the presentation will be decent.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-19-2005 10:41 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That collision happened last May at MSP. The DC-9 had just landed with hydraulic problems and was taxiing to the gate when it lost both nosewheel steering and brakes. The captain tried reverse thrust to stop but still ran into the A319 as it was being pushed back for departure. The Airbus wing did rip into the cockpit of the DC-9 injuring both pilots. The forward half of the roof of the passenger cabin was caved in as it passed under the Airbus' tail cone. The passengers evacuated out the rear.

None of the US "Legacy 6" carriers (AAL, UAL, DAL, NWA, CAL, USA/AWA) are doing well these days. All are either BK to close to it. The industry needs to see about half the ASMs (Available Seat Miles) out there simply disappear. Then the surviving carriers can start charging prices that will actually generate some profits. In the mean time things are going to get ugly, both for passengers and employees. I'm sorta glad I didn't end up flying for any of them, and I don't envy any of those employees for what's about to happen to them.

For those of you with lots of frequent flyer miles on any of the Legacy 6, now's the time to start cashing them in.

[ 11-24-2005, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-20-2005 04:22 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul. From the relative positions at which the two aircraft came to rest, it looked either like both must have been moving at the time of impact (or that the pic had been Photoshopped). Were the aircraft repairable or a write-off?

quote: Paul Mayer
The industry needs to see about half the ASMs (Available Seat Miles) out there simply disappear.
Why so? Almost every flight (with one exception: Minneapolis to Amsterdam on a Sunday-Monday overnight last November, which was probably no more than half full) I've been on in the last few years was full or close to it. If 'legacy' airlines are still making a loss with those sorts of passenger levels, it suggests that they're making a loss on every seat they sell. Which is bad news, because if the legacy airlines stick their prices up significantly, customers will simply switch to the 'no frills' operators, who seem to be able to operate with much lower overheads (only last week Easyjet announced record profits).

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-20-2005 08:01 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many air transportation industry observers have concluded there is simply too much product (ASMs) in the market. This condition has lead to a buyer's market which has forced air carriers to give away the product in order to have any revenue at all, let alone profit. Hence, lots of packed airplanes flying yet almost no one is making any money.

Industry analysts say cutting this excess supply by about half would allow the market to return to a level where the carriers can charge fares that would generate a reasonable level of profit.

Of course costs need to be brought into line too, something that the LCCs (Low Cost Carriers) have done rather well. The Legacy 6 have so far not been able to match the LCCs in this area, but then again the legacy carriers do provide some higher-cost services (like full-service international routes) that the LCCs tend to avoid. Still, the legacy carriers need to get their costs down. So far, their executives have shown themselves to be not up to that task. Given their typically light-weight, MBA, dilettante, non-air transport industry business backgrounds, I'm not surprised.

Back on topic, I presently don't strictly "boycott" anyone, though I make it a point to make large corporate versions of anything last on my list of places to patronize. So places like McDonalds and WalMart won't see me as a customer unless there is absolutely no other option. Fortunately there are almost always other options. I like smaller locally operated places even if they are more expensive. Even though I'm broke these days I'm just not that price sensitive.

Locally in the theatre world I used to boycott Century and UA because of poor presentation quality and the way they ran all of the IATSE projectionists out of the booths as they bought up all of the existing screens in town back in the '80s (I was a good IA man back then (20-year pin in '94), right up until I was blacklisted in '95 for being too loudly critical of the way that local operated). But since old man Syufy retired and the sons took over I have to admit that Century has improved their initially substandard presentation quality and now runs some of the best locations here.

I still avoid UA here because of consistently lousy presentation quality. Regal and Brenden both follow in second place on my presentation quality scale. Crown? Don't know and don't really care since the only reason I'm ever downtown these days is to change buses or swim at the muni pool.

[ 01-16-2006, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 11-21-2005 06:09 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Dave the Governor of Utah yet?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-21-2005 10:49 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
Many air transportation industry observers have concluded there is simply too much product (ASMs) in the market. This condition has lead to a buyer's market which has forced air carriers to give away the product in order to have any revenue at all, let alone profit. Hence, lots of packed airplanes flying yet almost no one is making any money.
Thanks for the explanation. It seems that it's not just US airlines that are in trouble: driving into work this morning, there was a feature on the radio which reported that a Greek airline had gone under and that Alitalia was on the verge of doing so. Alitalia, apparently, is being kept in the air by massive government subsidies, which is annoying its competitors to the extent that action in the European Court seems likely. They also interviewed the chief exec of the Irish 'no frills' airline Ryanair, who described Alitalia's management using language that had to be bleeped out for broadcast at that time in the morning!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-24-2005 05:15 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Fuentes
Is Dave the Governor of Utah yet?

I was going to run, but my job got in the way. I couldn't get enough time off to make an effective campaign, or vote. Plus, it turns out that people don't like it when they have to choose between the anti christ (me) and the guy they actually end up voting for. Not sure which would have been the better bet.

On the plus side, I know that I am good enough, smart enough, and people do like me. Or so I tell myself when I drink myself to sleep at night. And during the day. Sometimes at lunch.

I will run for Gov of utah, if I can stay out of prison long enough to.

Ciao

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-24-2005 09:12 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to run for President on the "I'm not corrupt, yet." platform. (This is NOT political....I think all career politicians are corrupt, regardless of party.) Louis

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2005 01:00 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful, Louis, even with your disclaimer. Rather than just ignore posts they don't care to read or comment on, they choose to ban entire subjects here. Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me, either. [thumbsdown]

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2006 06:52 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allison Parsons
Oh, If there is a Super Walmart in your area (or more than one like we have) what is their restaurant/fast food joint in that store?
At the Wal-Mart closest to my house, the restaruant is a Subway. It used to be the Wal-Mart snack bar thing (The "Radio Grill" or whatever).

quote: Allison Parsons
I remember when Walmarts slogan was something like "Made In America" back in the early 90's. Hmmmmmm Whatever happened to that...?
The day that Sam Walton died and his family took over the company was the day that the company went all to [bs] . Sam Walton's offspring care only about profits and nothing more.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: