Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Shindler Lifts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Shindler Lifts
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2002 05:52 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While in Australia, one of the Hotels we stayed in had an elevator made by a company called "Shindler Lifts". It was the slowest elevator we have ever seen. We took to using the stairs rather than wait for the elevator.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-21-2002 07:45 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
There has been a Schindler elevator in the past few theaters I've worked at. Slower than molasses in winter. I assume because they were hydraulic models rather than cabled lifts. Stairs are easily quicker.

Insert obligatory "Schindler's Lift" pun here.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2002 07:52 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Schindler's List / Lift
Reminds me that after photographing the bronze memorial plaque at the foot of the tree planted at the entrance to Yad VaShem in Jerusalem, commemorating Schindler's saving so many souls from the Nazis, I noticed the same name on the elevator in my hotel. Though I took a pic of that too for my scrapbook, I afterward learned that the Schindler company installed elevators in Europe as well, like the late Otis Co. in the US, and manufactured many types of machinery.
Probably no connection to the protagonist in Spielberg's film.
Incidentally, the elevator in the Jerusalem hotel must have been a bit newer, for it ran well.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-21-2002 07:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...the late Otis Co. in the US..."

Looks like Otis Elevator is still very much in business.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-21-2002 09:14 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also a kind of escalator called "Schindler," which I assume is made by the elevator people.

Otis elevators seem to be very common in larger buildings, while other makes seem to be more popular in smaller ones. I don't have any surveys that prove this...just idle observation. Can anyone explain why this might be?

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2002 09:47 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can relate to the rather slow Schindler lifts...stairs is much faster, of course going down the stairs is much easier than going up, I have theatres and hotels that use either Schindler & Dover, in a race (a slow race) Dover would just barely win....give me an Otis anyday...

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2002 10:05 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any theatres with elevator access to a projection booth,could have a capacity of 2500 pounds or more. Would such elevators be capable of carrying one or more DP70's or other heavy booth equipment?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2002 04:08 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem with the DP-70, except that you might want to send the elevator up and you take the stairs. We moved in 5 booths worth of equipment with the buildings hydraulic elevator in Aspen CO last Summer with no mishaps. 2 up and three down. The Super highlites barely fit into the thing. It wasn't a Schindler or Otis unit though....can't remember the name. It wasn't slow about either unless it had sat a while and the controller went to sleep. I always wanted one of the Otis Elevators from the Sears Tower for my house....thats one amazing piece of engineering. I bet that roll of cable is huge!!
Mark

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 12:35 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The full dress DP70 is a mere 1050 pounds. So you could haul two at once and go along for the ride

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 01:02 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
Thanks for the correction. Glad to know Otis is still in business, though now part of UTC. The elevator in the apartment building where I used to live had a much-admired Otis control panel of antique, ornate brass. When it was removed, the super thought it was because Otis went out of business. Wish I could have rescued that piece of sculptured metal! The replacement, of stainless steel, is drab by comparison and confuses me with its huge Braille inscriptions.

The Schindler lift in Jerusalem had a special feature that either shut it down on the Sabbath, or permitted it to operate automatically
(I forget which) to accommodate the strictures of orthodox observers who would not profane the holy day by operating a machine.

I found in Italy and some other countries in Europe, signs asking users to ride up, but to walk down, I suppose to avoid congestion and conserve electricity. Perhaps slow elevators help encourage walking.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2002 04:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Greg.....now you riuned the DP-70 weight for all those that thought it weighs a ton!! [Wink]
Actually the elevator in Aspen didn't like the Super Highlite/Simplex combination as it stopped a little below the floor level and kinda boinged at stop. As long as I kept my 1200 lbs weight out of the car it stopped level. This was a hydraulic job......still can't remember the name of it though......might have been a Dover......
Mark

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-22-2002 04:32 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Greg!

What on earth (!) were you doing in Australia? [Wink] [beer]

Hope all went as well as you had hoped. Where are the photos?

Merry Christmas

John

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 06:24 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John
I was just trying to figure how I could send you a vhs tape, but you guys use PAL over there and all I can record is either digital or VHS NTSC. I'm not sure that the digital would play right either. I'm looking for someone with a PAL recorder locally. [dlp]

While in Oz I got to meet up with John and tour his theater, I've never seen a cleaner more orderly theater. Truely film done right, to the Nth degree.
Keep an eye on sheila for me [Cool]

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 09:24 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't worry as most T.V's have been NTSC compatible for a few years now

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 10:07 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool
Thanks David

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: