Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Where did they go? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Where did they go?
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 08:05 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking back through old posts today (out of boredom and curiousity) I noticed that many of the regular faces/names from pre-2000 ar eno longer here. Seems like now there are about 30-40 REGULAR posters and a bunch of lurkers.

If you've been here since pre 2000, Where have you been??

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-22-2002 08:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been here since the start, thus meeting your requirement of pre-2000. I haven't posted at all since then because the whole gag-order thing. I am afraid of my company, which makes it a GREAT place to work! [Smile]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 08:20 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been here a long time. My bookmark on my laptop still shows Film-Tech as "Brad Miller & Associates".

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 01:23 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Member Number: 14
Email Address: film-tech@rialtocinemas.com
Homepage: http://www.rialtocinemas.com
Interests: Opening our next theatre location.

So Brad is Member #2
Member #1 is a Big Dark Secret!
Joe is Member #3
I am Member #14

By the way, I am a member because Joe called me up and told me to check out the site. I wasn't working for a movie theatre at the time.

Who still posts here and has a membership number between my number and Joe?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 02:16 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm member 68, but have been here since this site was LONG ago on a AOL home page (everyone starts somewhere) I'm still here, though mostly lurking.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 04:13 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, had been lurking since the old AOL days. Didn't become a member until #666 was available. (Just lucky? Hmmmm...) [evil]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 05:55 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first discovered this when it was called Brad Miller and Associates.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-23-2002 08:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Miller and Associates was a cool site/law firm. It basically consisted of just the "Improving Your On Screen Presentation" essay and a picture page with pics of a few different theaters and screening rooms. There were a few other features (like the "Battling Loud Trailers" I believe), but AOL had a 5 meg limit on web space. Film-Tech as it is now takes up several gigs!

I remember oogling Brad's screening room pics of the house he had at the time. I was blown away. I had only seen one screening room before in my life and Brad's made it look pathetic in comparison. Also the Improving Your Onscreen Presentation essay let me know that Brad was a guy who knew his shit, and I learned a lot just from that!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-23-2002 09:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That essay was originally written for United Artists to send out to their theaters. The request came from the corporate level, but when I sent them a copy they rejected it saying it was too detailed and overly picky. Instead they were wanting one of those generic (and mostly useless) cutesy things like "top ten ways to improve your presentation". (It should be noted that in that "top ten" paper, nowhere in it does it say to even clean out the projectors. Instead it concentrated on much less important things to do in the booth.) Oh well, it has found a home here.

Ian...in addition to the members above, Jim Bedford, Christopher Seo, Greg Mueller, Ky Boyd, Mike Blakesley, Scott Norwood, Mitchell Cope and Gordon McLeod are some of the members who were in that original batch way back from the AOL server. They were registered on the current system in no particular order and as such their actual members numbers are not an exact representation of who registered first.

I have no idea how Joe found the site so fast. If memory serves he emailed me within a day or two of my creating the site. I can only assume he was doing an AOL member search for "projection" or something. He was definitely the first member.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-23-2002 09:52 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have no idea how Joe found the site so fast... He was definitely the first member.
Impressive. I'm sure it's made him a better projectionist... all that ORC stuff in his booth aside... but it unfortunately hasn't done much for his complexion, hair styles or overall fashion sense! [evil]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-23-2002 10:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It definitely has made me a better projectionist!

The story of how I found the site is almost interesting. Above Ian posts that I called him and told him to visit Film-Tech, check it out and register. That is true. BUT when the site was simply "Brad Miller and Associates" Ian had e-mailed me from somewhere out of town with a few links. BM&A was one of those links, and Ian's comment was "Here's a site created by a projectionist". At the time I was attempting to make my own projectionist site on AOL with pics and stuff. I even had a picture of the UA Galaxy sent to me by Al Remy, who was a technician for UA. Ian was trying to give me some website ideas, I believe. I visited and then e-mailed Brad about what his opinions on digital projection would be if it ever became a reality and other various projection stuff. I ditched my site pretty quick, as not only was it now redundant, but Brad's site was clearly better. Later on the site became Film-Tech after Brad and I searched for cool domain names. That was fun. Filmguard was also officially named shortly thereafter. And then Film-Tech Media Pads were named after that. I always wanted to call them "Film-Tech Wipes". But I dunno. [Smile]

So Ian introduced me to the site, and I introduced him to the site. Funny the way things work sometimes.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-23-2002 10:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I still regret not calling FilmGuard "Gleemonex". (Kids in the Hall fans will get it.)

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 01:00 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the getting old, my memory has always sucked.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 12-24-2002 05:52 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I arrived at this site early in 2001 and have a number in the higher end of 763. When I begin to feel comfortable with all of you, I will begin to post.

Thanks for your patience.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-24-2002 06:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! I just checked and I'm member number 72 [thumbsup] .......I too remember the Brad Miller And Assosiates thingy on the net a long time ago. I hope that this place is around for a long time to come.....and Brad....stay away from ever changing it to Digital-Tech Forum even if film does some day disappear......doing so killed off a sort of well know sound forum not too long ago ya know!
Bob Marr, Keep up the light speed posting....I expect your number of posts to triple before October of 2002 [Wink] .
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: