Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Projectionist Magazines (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projectionist Magazines
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 10:07 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any suggestions on what are good Projectionist Periodicals? Theatre Operation Magazines? Or just any theatre related magazines?

|  IP: Logged

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2002 11:12 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there are always the old standbys, Film Journal and Box Office that do have projectionist related articles in them.

Kodak used to send out a quarterly newsletter about projection, but I haven't seen one of those mailed to us in over a year.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2002 11:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a mag called International Projectionist Magazine. That was a really good publication but has been gone for at least a couple of decades. Many of them still make for great reading and there is alot to learn from them....if you can find any of them......and oh...those pics of the 70mm booths with the Ashcrafts!!
Mark @ CLACO

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-27-2002 02:17 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak no longer mails the "Film Notes for Reel People" or "Cinema Notes" publications, which I have been involved with since the early 1980's. Many of my articles are available on the Kodak website at:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/pytlak/

And other movie-related and technical articles are available on the Kodak website:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/

Film-Tech has all the back issues in the "Manuals" section:

http://www.film-tech.com/manuals/manualindex.html#FILMNOTES

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-27-2002 05:29 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. There used to be some nice online versions of Cinema Notes up on the Kodak web site (nicer than the scanner stuff); what happened to them? So much for any archival faith in the web (you might have hoped for it at Kodak...).

I hadn't heard that a "strategic decision" was finally made to can Film Notes for Reel People (I like that title best), both on-line and print. That's really sad. They kept talking about moving it fron print to on-line, and I was thought that was a bad move, but never really expected it to go away entirely [Frown] .

John, do you have any background on the decision?

--jhawk

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 06:21 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about Playboy or something like that? [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2002 06:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey yea, Hugh Heffner used to ahve a copuple of 35mm installations at the old Playboy mansion in Chicago. I helped to remove the downstairs units years ago. These were actually Simplex X-L's that were set up for sep mag dailies.
Mark @ CLACO

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2002 09:48 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema Technology from BKSTS - The Moving Image Society.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2002 04:17 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New mag in tht U.K is called ScreenTrade which deals in all aspects of cinema life.
(+44) (0) 1689 833117

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2002 04:31 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
I enjoyed Film Notes for the Reel People and Film Notes during almost their entire run, and saved them in a massive ring binder in the projection booth. I still have it now. I'd been reading your contributions with pleasure and profit long before I discovered Film-tech.
Gerard

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2002 06:13 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Towards the end of it's run, International Projectionist magazine was known as "Greater Amusements & International Projectionist". I believe it was published by Quigley Publishing, the same people who printed the Richardson "Blue Book of Projection" book.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2002 06:38 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a fast note for what it's worth, for those living in or visiting Southern California. . .the complete issue run of International Projectionist can be found at the A.M.P.A.S. Margaret Herrick Library on South La Cienaga just off Olympic in Los Angeles. The place keeps odd hours, but it's a great afternoon hoot to sit and thumb thru back issues from the golden age. The ads alone are worth the trip (you'll have to sling a line of [bs] at the door to get in, though. Tell 'em you're doing research on old projection techniques).

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-28-2002 08:23 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IP was published by James Finn out of NYC.

I have nearly 300 issues, from the early 30s through the early 60s, and was considering the logistics of putting them on CD-ROM. I'm only missing 10 or 12 issues in that range.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2002 09:21 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim:

Please put them on CD Rom! I would buy it for sure. Gimme-gimme-gimme!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-28-2002 10:23 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quigley were the folks who published Motion Picture Herald. Where, among other things, we learned about air conditioned drive-ins and admired the amazing new Century JJ.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: