Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Holiday Music You Can/Can't Deal With (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Holiday Music You Can/Can't Deal With
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 03:27 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was driving around doing some last minute shopping and listening to the car radio when it occurred to me that if I heard "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" one more time that someone was just going to have to bleed. And while there is a lot of lovely Xmas music out there, a lot of it is just awful. So what are your favorites, best and least?

Me: still like all the classics, especially sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Gotta hear John and Yoko sing “Happy Xmas (War is Over)” at least once or twice. Love The Roche’s Xmas Album, and the Phil Spector Christmas Album still rules. Still like der Bingle, except for his duet with David Bowie, and the Harry Simeone Choir.

Can’t stomach the Singing Dogs, Elmo & Patsy, Paul McCartney “Simply Having a Wonderful Xmas. . .” or the Chipmunks, and it's time for someone to tell the Mannheim Steamroller guy that while it was a great idea twenty years ago, it's time to stop now.

And you?

|  IP: Logged

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 03:36 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although most Film-Tech'ers hated Glitter, I really like "All I Want for Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey. Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock is good, and my two year old really digs Andy Williams' "Holiday Season".

Here's a listing of a CD I burned to listen to in my car this month...

Holiday Season—Andy Williams
Christmas Vacation—Mavis Staples
Baby It’s Cold Outside—Bing Crosby
Winter Wonderland— Bing Crosby
Let It Snow—Aaron Neville
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas—Amy Grant
The Christmas Waltz—Andy Williams
It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas—Bing Crosby
Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree—Brenda Lee
What Child Is This—Charlotte Church
Santa Claus Is Back In Town—Elvis Presley
Rudolph The Red Reindeer—Harry Connick, Jr.
Jingle Bell Rock— Bobby Helms
O Holy Night—Martina McBride
Please Come Home Christmas—Bon Jovi
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town—Bruce Springsteen
We Wish You A Merry Christmas—John Denver & The Muppets
Santa Looked A Lot Like Daddy—Travis Tritt
Holly Jolly Christmas—Alan Jackson
An Angel Gets It’s Wings—Vince Gill & Trisha Yearwood
Where Are You Christmas—Faith Hill
All I Want I Want For Christmas Is You—Mariah Carey
Mele Kalikimaka—Bing Crosby
Spirit of Christmas—Ray Charles
The First Noel— Boney James
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas— Mel Torme

Everyone should have a good variety!!!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-23-2002 04:20 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who could not like the barking dogs version of Jingle Bells??!! [Wink] [thumbsup]

Barking Dogs Jingle Bells

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-23-2002 04:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate "The 12 days of Christmas" with almost equal passion as "Frosty the Snowman."

In general the novelty and kiddie songs are out for me, except I am a fan of Cheech & Chong's "Santa Claus and His Old Lady." (You can tell I don't have any kids!)

The first Mannheim Steamroller Christmas album is a winner. The rest have increasingly sucked, with a few bright moments tossed in on each (I made a compilation of the best moments from all four disks that is excellent.)

The 1968 "Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass Christmas Album" is a fave.

The original Leroy Anderson arrangment of "Sleigh Ride," as played by any large orchestra, is excellent.

The Arthur Fiedler Boston Pops choral recording of "Carol of the Bells" is definitive.

And Vince Guaraldi's "Charlie Brown Christmas" music is a treat.

And for e-z listening, the Carpenters two Christmas albums are very nice.

There are others, but those are my standouts.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 05:42 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re the Phil Spector Xmas album: The 1977 re-release on Warner-Spector Records sounds fabulous because it's in true stereo! The CD on Phil Spector Records has a monaural mix that sounds muddied.

As for "Wonderful Xmastime" by Paul McCartney: The flip side of the 45 is even more obnoxious -- "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reggae".

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2002 06:32 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Phil Spector album really is a classic! Darlene Love singing "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" is a fave. I always look forward to her singing that song on Letterman. The Ventures Christmas Album is great too, especially their version of "Sleigh Ride."

"Grandma..." is played out. Time for a new novelty song. The barking dogs reminds me of that scene in "Roger & Me" when they used that song to images of shut-down Flint (gone to the dogs?). And Alan Sherman's "Twelve Days of Christmas" always makes me laugh.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 12:45 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"All I want for Christmas is You" is an old Carla Thomas song; Mariah Carey is doing pretty much a karaoke remake.

I cannot STAND the droning "Little Drummer Boy" or mindless "Feliz Navidad". The Spector Christmas album is excellent. Every remake of "Please Come Home for Christams" & "Merry Christmas Baby" is reeking poop. Charles Brown is a genius. Otherworldly light emanates from his CD's in the music store. Denise LaSalle's "Santa Claus Got the Blues" is BRILLIANT! I LOVE IT!

James Brown's "Let's Make Christmas Mean Something This Year" is wonderful. Solomon Burke's "Presents at Christmas" is one of the best (mostly unknown) songs ever recorded, it's a perfect little gem.

Ave Maria & O Holy night are beautiful, but practically the same song.

A bunch of old new wave songs like "Christmas on Riverside Drive" & Christmas at K-Mart are great, but "Christmas Rapping" by the Waitresses is just mindbogglingly monotonous, dumb, underachieving poo. Still not as bad as Little Drummer Boy & Feliz Navidad though, BECAUSE NOTHING IS!

Back in the days of 45 rpm records, nothing was as gratifying as putting the droning, endless Little Drummer Boy or Bing Crosby's crawling White Christmas on the turntable, lift out the little 45 rpm adapter, nudge the 45 about 1/8 inch off center with your fingernail, and listen to the wow bring to full flower the lurching nausea of those Sominex nightmares.

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 01:01 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a real soft spot for the 'Peppermint Candy Kids' records I grew up with in the 70's/80's ...... Still have them actually! [Wink]

... But the best christmas tune these days has to be Bruce Springsteen's version of 'Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town' ... It Rocks!

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 01:26 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas music I just can't handle:

Any Christmas music by Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston.
Anything by Manheim Steamroller.
Anything by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

I've always been a sucker for a strong female Alto singing "Oh Holy Night"

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 01:39 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally Christmas music just plain gets on my nerves mainly due to the fact that all the malls and stores are shoving it down your throat by mid November. On that note, I truly dig the soundtrack for A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. It always takes me back to my childhood which was quite a happy time for me.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 08:42 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Scott had mentioned
quote:
I've always been a sucker for a strong female Alto singing "Oh Holy Night"

If you can find it, and I don't know if it's still available, but there was a version of "Oh Holy Night" recorded live by Martina McBride several years ago here in Nashville at 328 Performance Hall for a benefit concert that was only released on a compilation CD titled "Mother & Child". It will send chills up your spine every time you hear it. No instruments, no background vocals, just an acapella track, and it is by far the best version of that song I've ever heard. She sings the same song on her own holiday Christmas CD, but it's not the same version.

It's definetely worth seeking out if you can still find it.

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 01:59 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Blakesley had said:

quote:
I hate "The 12 days of Christmas" with almost equal passion as "Frosty the Snowman."

In general the novelty and kiddie songs are out for me, except I am a fan of Cheech & Chong's "Santa Claus and His Old Lady." (You can tell I don't have any kids!)

If you hate the 12 days but love Cheech and Chong, perhaps check out the comedy version of twelve days as sung by "Bob and Doug MacKenzie". Everytime I hear it (which I had multiple requests for during some christmas parties I DJ'd this year) I just had to chuckle.

When it comes to music I am generally pretty open to anything. For Christmas I love the classics (Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Burl Ives, and the like) along with some newer stuff such as TransSiberian Orchestra's version of "Carol of the Bells". Mariah Carey's Christmas album from a few years ago is actually pretty good, though I can't stand her "regular" music anymore. Jewel also has a great album, and Kenny G never hurts. Also like to laugh at "Dominick the Donkey".

I must say I much prefer carollers to CDs though. My friends and I used to go out every year on Christmas Eve and just walk around singing, stopping if anyone opened their door to have a better listen. Unfortunately, I only have contact with one person from that group nowadays and we are both far to busy, especially now that I have a whole other family to visit, to go around having aimless fun. [Frown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-24-2002 02:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! I forgot about the Bob & Doug McKenzie "12 Days." That one, I can handle. "...two turtlenecks and a beer ...in a tree." [Big Grin]

I also forgot "Breath of Heaven" which is on one of the Amy Grant Christmas albums. Very good for a contemporary song. I was at a church service last year where they had a male singer doing this song with a choir backing it up, and it was awesome.

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 08:04 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got a new computer, and the only MP# files I saved were my Xmas songs.

Bob and Doug McKenzie's 12 days
The 12 things at Christmas that are such a Pain to me
Cheech and Chong's Santa Claus and his Old Lady Commune
Eric Cartman O holy night (Both versions with the electrocution and not)
Vince Guaraldi Trio
Oh and don't forget my novelty album:
Tales from the Crypt's Have yourself a Scary Little Christmas including
We Wish you'd Bury the Missus
Juggle Bills
Moe Titlebaum
etc.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 11:06 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too cannot stand the "12 Days Of Christmas", but what is more annoying is the version on the Andy Williams Christmas Album.

"...four colored lights, three boughs of holly, two candy canes, and a song for the Christmas tree!"

Sounds like a cheap-ass'ed Christmas [Razz]

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: