Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What is the red eye?

Author Topic: What is the red eye?
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-27-2002 09:30 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anybody familiar with the expression "to take the red eye"? A friend asked me what it meant and I have no idea.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 09:53 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually the Overnight or no sleep Travel , Travel thru the night arrive with Bleary Red eyes , usually not on First Class travel though. [sleep]
Edit of Post to add some cures for the Red Eye . Surviving the Red-Eye

A red-eye flight can be one of the most grueling travel experiences, even on shorter flights. Sleeping on a plane, especially in coach, is a little like staying awake during an Italian film festival, or standing still during a James Brown song. These tips for surviving a red-eye flight should help you weather a night aloft, and help you cope much better upon arrival at your destination.

It's The Sleep, Stupid
The secret to surviving a red-eye is simple: sleep. Despite all your machinations to prepare, adjust, recover, and merely endure before and after your flight, surviving the red-eye is mostly about catching maximum winks en route. Some folks can sleep anywhere, others are kept awake by a pea under 24 mattresses. It helps if you're not a princess when it comes to sleep, or if you arrive at the airport a little tired to start. Wake up early, exercise, and avoid naps on the day of your flight.

Request a Window Seat
A window seat is more conducive to sleep, since you can lean over against the interior wall of the plane without annoying fellow passengers. The head support helps avoid a strained neck upon waking up, and you have more control over the window shade so you can ration sunlight to your own ends.

Also, no one will have to wake you up to climb over you to get out of their seat. Note, however, that most window seats have slightly less legroom than other seats to accommodate the curve of the plane fuselage. In most cases, the tradeoff is worth it.

Request a Seat Near the Front of the Plane
Seats toward the front of the plane are quieter, and less sensitive to turbulence, than seats toward the rear of the plane.

Make Sure Your Seat Reclines
Some seats, especially near the emergency exit rows, do not recline. When you book your seats, or at check-in, ask the agent to make sure your seat reclines.

When Traveling with a Companion
If you're traveling with your spouse, child, other family member, or close friend, put the smaller of the two in the "middle" seat, the larger against the window. That way, if the smaller person wants to lean on the larger person, everyone's more comfortable.

Stake Out a Pillow and Blanket
Airline service absurdity # 134: There are never enough pillows and blankets to go around. Why airlines believe that a pillow per row is acceptable on a red-eye, I can't explain. It's bad enough that some seats don't recline, or that a middle-seat makes it all but impossible to sleep; to be forced to go without a pillow or blanket verges on abuse.

Look for a pillow and blanket in the overhead bins as you board the plane; if you can't find any, ask an attendant to get them for you.

BYO
Bring your own pillow (a good inflatable neck pillow is even more comfortable than they look). Also, bring a sweater as a stand-in for either a pillow or blanket in a pinch.
Fasten Your Seat Belt
A loosely fastened seat belt will prevent flight attendants from waking you up if the plane hits some turbulence. If you are wearing a blanket, consider buckling the seatbelt over your blanket so the attendants can see clearly that you are buckled in.

Lower the Window Shade
On an eastbound red-eye, you are traveling into the rising sun. At an elevation of 30,000 feet, light will be pouring in that window before you know it. Lower the shade, and leave it down.

A practical form of light therapy to beat jet lag is gaining proponents among researchers. The simple explanation is to expose yourself to light according to the time zone at your destination. So, on the classic west-east red-eye, you don't want any light until you arrive. On an east-west red-eye, you want light early in the trip, then as little as possible.

Fall Asleep Immediately After Takeoff
Don't wait for the meal, watch the movie, listen to the music programming, or even attempt to read (although some reading material can help you fall asleep if you're willing to put it down as soon as your eyes droop).

Also, cabin oxygen levels are low from the time you leave the gate until takeoff. This may make you feel sleepy; don't fight it.

Food and Drink
Eat on the schedule of your destination
This usually means a late meal on west-east trips, and no food until you arrive on east-west trips. Skip snacks or meals served at any other times, and sleep instead.

Eat lightly before the flight
This is a personal preference, but many fliers will find that a light meal, with no booze, will let your body reset itself more willingly come touchdown, and makes it easier to sleep on the plane. Your mileage may vary.

Additionally, as a rule, carbohydrates make you sleepy, proteins and fats keep you awake. Bananas and milk are especially effective sleep-inducers.

Alcohol and caffeine
If you're trying to sleep, neither alcohol nor caffeine help the cause. Avoid both.

Water
Water helps the flier's cause in all cases. However, if you're trying to sleep, chugging a quart of water just before takeoff is going to require a mid-flight trip to the toilet. Moderation is the answer here; drink enough water to stay hydrated, but not so much that you're traipsing up and down the aisle of the plane all night.

Layovers Skip the Movie Skip the Movie
Eating is not advised, (see above) but you should drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. My approach is usually to brush my teeth, then head toward the gate, sit near a speaker or the agent, wrap my luggage handle around my wrist or ankle, and put my head back and try to sleep some more. You might ask a gate agent to make sure you don't sleep through the flight departure.

Skip the Movie
Most movies won't put you to sleep, but rather keep you awake. Pass on the headphones, and close your eyes.

Sleep Aids
An eye mask, inflatable neck pillow, ear plugs, and other devices can help the cause greatly. Don't worry about looking funny; bloodshot eyes at your morning meeting look much worse.

If you can fall asleep without the use of pharmaceutical sleep aids, you'll be much better off upon your arrival, as drugs can cause lingering drowsiness or sluggishness that make it hard for your body to reset its internal clock. Gentle aids, such as the motion sickness treatment Dramamine, can dramatically assist you in falling asleep, however, if you have serious difficulties sleeping on planes.

When You Arrive
Raise the window shade when the plane lands
On an east-west flight, that first burst of light will have you blinking hard and miserably, but it will help mightily to reset your internal clock. The last few minutes of shuteye aren't worth stumbling off the plane into an unfamiliar airport before you wake up.

Take stock of your carry-on items
A groggy, half-asleep traveler is much more likely to leave belongings on the plane. Check the back of the seat in front of you as the plane taxis to the gate. Check especially for important items such as your wallet or purse, connecting or return air tickets, identification, keys, and other similar essentials.

Reset your watch
You need to start living by your new time zone. Reset your watch before you get off the plane. In fact, I prefer to reset my watch immediately after I board the last leg of my itinerary, as arrival times are always published in the destination time zone, and I know how long to my destination if I wake up and check the time. This can permit me to grab a few extra precious minutes of sleep.

Begin your day with familiar routines
Rather than indulging your body's clock, live by your watch.

If it's 7AM after an eastbound flight, have breakfast, coffee, whatever you usually do at 7AM. Grab a newspaper if you typically read one every morning. You probably won't feel hungry yet, and the coffee might not go down as smoothly, but soon enough you'll be glad you're on schedule.

If it's 2AM after a westbound flight, head straight for your hotel or home and go to sleep.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-27-2002 11:47 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, in current usage "the red-eye" specifically refers to an airplane flight that departs in the late evening and flies east. So "the red-eye" from LA to Boston leaves LA around 8pm and arrives in Boston at 6am. Or something like that.

--jhawk

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-27-2002 12:39 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Very good travelling advice. I flew to Los Angeles recently, and made all mistakes. Watched the movies, ate and drank alcohol on the plane, it was a very taxing flight.
One thing however I did right: I took a seawater spray with me and sprayed it into my nose from time to time. It helps to keep the inside of the nose moist and the salt kills germs. Often you get a dry nose and a cold on a plane due to the dry air.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 03:37 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One thing however I did right: I took a seawater spray with me and sprayed it into my nose from time to time. It helps to keep the inside of the nose moist and the salt kills germs. Often you get a dry nose and a cold on a plane due to the dry air.
Aren't you afraid oysters will start growing in there among your nose hair?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-08-2003 08:57 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don`t have any nose hair. I shaved it off. For religious reasons.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-08-2003 11:49 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The studio always books me on red-eye flights. When I'm in the
LA office and going back to NY. My flights are around 10:30pm
from LAX to JFK at around 6:30am. [sleep] Then back to the
office around 10 or 11.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-08-2003 01:55 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flying from the west coast to the east coast of the United States in the evening and arriving around 6:00 AM is nothing. Try flying east from Hawaii leaving very late in the afternoon and arriving in a east coast city like Newark around 5:30 AM without any sleep. Now, that is a true 'Red Eye' flight! [Frown] I made such a trip a few times in first class and with the food and drinks had made the experience even more interesting. I once had to go to the bathroom on one of those trips when the plane was making it's final approach and that was not fun.

-Claude

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 05:59 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, I thought this was going to be a coffee thread!
When I used to work at a coffee shop, the RED EYE was a black coffee with several shots of espresso thrown in.
On the other hand, you just might need to drink that after an all nite flight.

Danny

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2003 09:42 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you guys say "RED EYE"? I thought you said "Black Eye". [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: