Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Philippe Laude's Screening Room (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Philippe Laude's Screening Room
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-03-2003 05:53 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really nice ! Love that Bauer and the lightning bolt that comes on with the lamphouse......AMC should hire him to design their next booth, no wasted space there, and no golf cart needed.
Mark @ CLACO
P.S.: Whats with the rounded corners on the screen?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-03-2003 07:40 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rounded corners are due to the "wrap around style" of the screen frame with the image floating in front of the black drape a la many 1970's U.A. houses....common option in Europe and parts of Latin America.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-03-2003 07:55 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark wrote:

quote:

P.S.: Whats with the rounded corners on the screen?

The French seem quite keen on rounded corners, many Goumont cinemas had them in the days before moveable masking, and the Pathe formats had larger radius corners to the frames than the Kodak ones. On Pathe 'Rural film the space in the corners was used to contain a small, almost square perforation, giving a relativly large frame area on the narrow (17.5mm) film.

Come to think of it, the French seem to do just about everything differently, le Cinematographe Lumière used one round perforation on each side of each frame, rather than the four rectangular ones which everyone else used. It is possible to run conventional Edison type film through a Lumière machine, I've seen it done, the pins just fit one pair of holes per frame, the third ones down I think. Just crank the handle a bit faster, mask down the gate a bit, and rig up some form of sound head, or a DTS reader would fit quite nicely on top, and you could run the latest feature on the thing. [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-03-2003 08:53 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,
I know what you mean by rounded corners on floating frames but those corners are REALLY rounded. Reminds me of the ole rounded corner aperature plates Simplex used to make.
Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-03-2003 11:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember when TV's used to have corners soooo round that they were practically a circle instead of a square? Maybe Philippe is longing for those days. [Smile]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-03-2003 11:30 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Early color TVs had round picture tubes. Here's a 1961 RCA:

-

Talk about overscanning and cropping! Those round tubes cut off a whole bunch of the available picture.

-

My family waited to buy a color TV until rectangular tubes came out. I think we got our first color set around 1966. It was a 25" Admiral, probably chosen more for its nice furniture-quality wood cabinet than anything else. One thing I remember about that set is the picture tube blew out about every year. We had to replace the tube numerous times.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-03-2003 11:33 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine trying to play videogames on that TV!

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2003 02:32 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Imagine trying to play videogames on that TV!
Joe, I think the old arcade game Gyrus would do fine... [Cool]

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2003 05:15 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark:

Those old aperture plates that Sumplex used to make were likely influenced by the style of screen masking that prevailed in many theatres of the 20s and perhaps even early 30s. Without the need for movable masking, the screen's appearance could be "refined" by rounded corners.

Mind you, I am not speaking from personal experience, but rather based on photos of early cinemas.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screening room looked great and i bet it sounds good also.
I wonder what the film was showing to the large audience?

Darren

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-03-2003 05:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great screening room! Where's the SRD reader? There's a DA20 in the rack, but I don't see a cat 699/700/701 in the picture. [Confused]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-03-2003 06:07 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby reader is in one photo with the "new' feed and takeup plates. On a better monitor in my office the screen rounded corners lokk painted on, maybe not a wrap around.

Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2003 03:58 AM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in Phillipe's screening room and can confirm that the corners are round.
The frame of my screen also has round corners but I'm planning of using a masking system.

A lot of cinema's in Europe don't use any masking any more because they say they don't need it (read to expensive [Frown] ) and instead use a screen frame with round corners.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2003 04:18 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark: is that your TV set? I have one from late 1960 with a CTC-10C chassis. It has its 2nd kine that I installed in 1975, and it continues to run 'till this day. Yours looks like it has the bonded safety glass on the tube. Mine has a piece of glass in front of the tube.

Your set has much better color than mine. Imagine watching 2001: A Space Odyssey on that screen. It's been done.

My first rectangular screen was a 23" Motorola. It ate 4 picture tubes in the first 3 years. We junked it on the next one, and bought a Magnavox. It ran for 13 years. My mother bought it because of the nice cabinet.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-04-2003 05:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce, No.....I don't have anything newer than 1950 so that alleviates any color sets for me.......here is a 1946 RCA 630 TS that I rebuilt several years ago though. The photo is before IF alignment but right after capacitor replacement. Round CRT it is, 10BP4, the most common crt of the era. Also they had no implosion protection built in so you have to be really careful with these babies. All of my "vintage sets have round crt's. I don't restore anything with rectangular tubes......I'll try to find the shots of my restored RCA 721TS...man, the picture on that set is sharp as a tack and both the 621 and 721 have true dc restoration to boot. RCA left that out of all sets after the 721.
There is a group of guys that restore the first color sets(Westinghouse, Motorola, RCA) and they are having a hell of a time getting new electron guns manufactured for their early 15" crt's. Many tubes have lost the seal at the face plate and are not usable, although rebuildable if they can get the new guns made. Those first 15" color sets used the I-Q color decodong system, same way the studio cameras generate the color signal and they actually had superior color as compared to sets of today. The later sets went to the B-Y/G-Y, etc system of decoding as the crt's, and circuitry was easier to make. I remember replacing many of the 21" round color tubes back in my TV repair days...late 60's early 70's. 21AXP22 comes to mind.......
Mark
 -

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: