Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » the American legal system

Author Topic: the American legal system
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-04-2003 10:17 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only in America would some guy who changed his name to "Jack Ass" sue Viacom for defaming his name. Check out the full story in the latest version of the New Yorker magazine; also available here: http://newyorker.com/talk/content/?030106ta_talk_rosenwald

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-04-2003 09:00 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy one for the judge: The plaintiff knew he was changing his name to a explicitly derisive term, one which is in common use in colloquial American English. He has not and indeed can not present evidence that the defendants were in anyway referring to him personally through their use of this everyday term. Case dismissed and plaintiff to reimburse all costs of defendants.

Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2003 10:48 PM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It won't be long, and you will see him as a "Special Guest" in one of Johnny Knoxville's skits/stunts. Maybe that one guy will put Jack Ass up his well, you know, and get an XRay. Now that would be cool.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-05-2003 11:12 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I notice that often, an initial lawsuit gets a lot of publicity because the demands are so high ($100 million for an exploding GM gas tank, etc.) This is the kind of stuff the news likes to report on. But months/ years later, after a few rounds in court, the actual awarded damages are far less. This is not so interesting, so it's never given the same publicity, and people are left with the impression these lawsuits are aways successful.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-05-2003 01:21 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the fellow named "Jack Ass" needs to be forced into a game of NutBall with Johnny Knoxville and his gang.

Nut ball is a Jackass game where participants strip down to their underwear, sit across from each other and arc raquetballs through the air at their opponent with the goal of hitting the opponent in the nuts. Participants usually have a bullseye put on the underwear right where the frank and beans are located.

"Jack Ass" should be forced to sit there and play NutBall with a bowling ball.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-05-2003 10:41 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's gotta be the most senseless game I ever heard of. Those who choose to play that game obviously have too much time on their hands and should go down to K-Mart and buy a life for $1.98. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: