Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Dollar Bill Wrong

Author Topic: Dollar Bill Wrong
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2003 02:14 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just found a Dollar Bill with the green stamp on its backside instead of its front side. This leaves the front side blank and puts the treasury seal, serial numbers on the back of the bill.

One of my assistant mangagers has purchased the bill. Do you think it has any collectable value?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-04-2003 02:29 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is.....hang on to it.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2003 02:37 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-04-2003 03:33 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to collect stamps when I was younger and the stamps that are worth a lot are the one's with printing error such as the US stamp with a upside down airplane. The amount of the value is also determined by the number of bills like the one you have that is in circulation. If there are a few hundred in circulation which I doubt, the value could be around a couple of hundred dollars. If yours is one of a kind, the bill would be almost priceless.

-Claude

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-04-2003 03:38 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, so-called "error notes" definitely have value. Their precise value depends on the rarity and age and soforth. It'd be a lot more valuable if it was an 80-year-old silver certificate with a misplaced seal ;-)

Your best bet is probably to check with a local paper money dealer. They tend to advertise in Bank Note Reporter...

Personally I'd be surprised if it was worth more than $10 or so, but it definitely has curiosity value.

--jhawk

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2003 05:48 PM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe its Counterfeit [Eek!] [Confused]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-04-2003 06:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think paper bills are printed in sheets of 24 or some such number, so I'd bet there are another 23 of those floating around.

Collect 'em all, kids!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-04-2003 08:54 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, that is one of the things that I dislike about both hobbies (philately, numismatics), the fact that a mistake is made, it slips by their QC, the collectors all go ga ga, and it becomes worth thousands if not millions.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-04-2003 09:04 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you think the bill is only worth $10.00 I will be more than happy to be "a nice guy" and give the owner $50.000 for it if was indeed a misprinted bill. [Smile] [Wink]

In all seriousness, the bill is worth much, more than $10.00. The US mint has an excellent quality control program to actually prevent misprinted currency from going into circulation and become very valuable on the collectors market. The system the government has set up is almost foolproof and what little does slip through does indeed
becmome valuable. As mike had pointed out, there are others like it that was on the same sheet when it was printed and if those bill are also in circulation, the value of the bill will be determined by the others but it would still be a very substantial amount..

-Claude

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there something wrong with my eyes or is there no serial numbers either?

Josh

*EDIT* Never Mind... I see them on the back... [sleep] [Roll Eyes]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-05-2003 12:18 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I would say you probably have more than one sheet effected. What is suprising is the fact that it got out in the first place. Miss prints are supposed to be shredded when discovered. A note the bills sheets are printed twice. Once with the standard information like presidents head and the stuff on the back. Then it is printed again with the serial numbers and a randomly positioned seal stamp over the word ONE or whatever denomination it is. Some sheets were put in upside down. If you ever take a tour at a mint. You can get a pouch full of shredded money. Counterfiters do not do small bills because it makes it difficult to launder the money. Speaking of this watch the movie To live and die in L.A. A very good flick.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: