Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Origin of pronouncing "bitch" as "bee-otch"?

Author Topic: Origin of pronouncing "bitch" as "bee-otch"?
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 02:30 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Here's a question I've been meaning to ask y'all. I've been hearing people pronounce "bitch" as "bee-otch" in many places during the last year or two. If this is indeed a recent addition to our slang, where did it originate? I don't think I heard it until during the past couple of years.

I noticed an occurrence of it in "Just Married".

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first heard it in the "Kyle's Mom" song from the SOUTH PARK movie.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 03:50 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is your answer sir:

Biotch (bee-otch) (exclamation, pronoun): Originating outside the elite community, this term was readily adopted due to its theoretically shocking nature. Believed to have been originated by rapper Too Short, and then also used by Snoop doggy dogg. Can be used as an insult or as a term of friendly rivalry. Most common spellings: Biotch, bi0tch, beeatch, bizitch. Usage: "Formica in da hauuus, beeeeaaatch!"

Here is the link
http://odin.prohosting.com/groundli/texts/k-rade~1.html

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 06:09 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else think that it is about time to let the English teachers in public school carry rulers?
A nice swat might be helpful in clearing up the various ways this word is being said. [evil]

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 06:36 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[in reference to Sam's post]

Wow, I had no idea the term came from the "elite" crowd. I was unfortunate enough to be around a group of those back in 1993 and 1994. They did all of the spellings (like d00d and du0d, etc., for dude, and 3l33t and eleet, el33t, etc. for elite). If I started using any of these in messages to them, they'd change the way they spelled the words to keep me an outsider. This group was always into mischief and one had his computer equipment confiscated by the FBI at one point. It makes me glad they kept me as an outsider since in retrospect it was not a good group to associate with!

I thought the "bee-otch" term had come from some fairly recent movie or TV show.

Jon Todd
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 06:37 PM      Profile for Jon Todd   Email Jon Todd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i first heard the biatch (i believe thats the correct spelling) pronunciation about 7-8 years ago when i was in middle school. im pretty sure sam is right with crediting Too Short as first to bring it to the mainstream.

it was cool at the time, but no longer.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 06:59 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a more serious problem is the overuse of the last three letters of the alphabet in substitution for others. It seems that with the dawn of the new millenium, the last three letters of the alphabet have become "Extreme" in nature.

Fist, X. This letter is just about dead and buried in the slang world. X-Games, XFL, X-treme, X-cuse me, EconomiX... Any way you look at it, X ain't just for Xylophone anymore, although overused and unfunny.

Next, Y. Instead of "why?" some people use simply "y?" in text messaging or IMs. Children of the 80s were called Generation X, so children of the 90's adopted Generation Y. "Y!" has become a trademark for the company Yahoo. Not as bad as X, but it's still there. We may never know Y.

And then there's Z. This letter is often overused in "urban" speak or suburban teens pretending to be urban by inserting it into words that generally contain S's instead. Examples: Bizzitch, Hizzouse, Bizznitch, Chrizza...

What you got beeyotch?
=T to the Mizzem P!=

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-09-2003 12:56 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's my theory.

The first time I heard "bee-otch" spoken was when the very deliciously delectable Famke Janssen shouted it when James Bond beat her at baccarat in the film "Goldeneye." Just leave it to an astonishingly sexy lady to coin a term. Beavis and Butthead pick it up for their episodes. Rappers start repeating it. Even the Butthole Surfers use it in a tune (reference: Romeo and Juliet motion picture soundtrack).

Anyway, that's my theory. Sexy Russian character shouts it out and everyone else copies it.

I'd like Famke Janssen to squeeze me with her thighs. [thumbsup]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas wrote:
quote:
Examples: Bizzitch, Hizzouse, Bizznitch, Chrizza...

Hizzouse?? What on earth? Is that supposed to be HOUSE?
Bizzare! I'd much rather hear it as HICE , as some English people say it.

Danny

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2003 11:53 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hizzouse?? What on earth? Is that supposed to be HOUSE?
Yes.

(Just going through some old threads looking for something, and I came accross this one which I never read)

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-21-2003 02:14 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Ken. it is an 'Ohm!

('Ohm is an English 'Ouse....)

Ever read Andy Capp in the cartoon strips? [Big Grin]

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2003 10:35 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin Lawrence says "bee-otch" in National Security [Big Grin]

See it -- it's GREAT!

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 01-23-2003 12:44 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I myself always thought it was "byotch" -- but lately I just tell Adam to [fu] instead. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: