Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Alfred Hitchcock Weekend At The Loews Jersey

Author Topic: Alfred Hitchcock Weekend At The Loews Jersey
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2003 11:14 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre in Jersey City, NJ is running an Alfred Hitchcock weekend in honor of the 40th anniversary of The Birds.

• Psycho - Friday Jan. 31 at 8pm - No, this is not a statment about the mental condition one must be in to work in a theatre, but the story of a women who makes a poor choice in rest stops.
  • Saboteur - Saturday Feb. 1 at 4pm - Not seen on the big screen in the NJ/NY area for decades, this is one of the best films to use Hitchcocks often repeated theme of an innocent man framed by spies, who must run from both the law and the spies to clear his name. The shoot out in Radio City is not to be missed.
  • The Birds - Saturday Feb. 1 at 8pm - A special 40th anniversary screening featuring a rare archival Dye Transfer IB Technicolor print. Don't miss this salute to our feathered friends.
All shows will be presented in 35mm on our huge 50' screen, with real carbon arc projection.
Check out the virtual tour section of the theatres web site for pictures and directions.
Loews Jersey Web site
/Mitchell

|  IP: Logged

Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2003 01:15 PM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I attended the show this past weekend with fellow CT projectionist Bill Elliot. We caught Saboteur and The Birds - both great films! We were especially impressed with the turnout for The Birds. I'll bet the place will be really packed over the summer! Among other things (as Bill pointed out to me), the clock has been restored to working condition, although we did not catch it in operation this time around. Also, it seems good progress has been made towards setting up the booth to run 2-strip shows. I will certainly be back when that happens.

My thanks to Bernie Anderson and the other projectionists for giving us a tour of the booth and equipment.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-06-2003 02:49 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom wrote:

quote:

I attended the show this past weekend with fellow CT projectionist Bill Elliot. We caught Saboteur and The Birds - both great films! We were especially impressed with the turnout for The Birds. I'll bet the place will be really packed over the summer! Among other things (as Bill pointed out to me), the clock has been restored to working condition, although we did not catch it in operation this time around. Also, it seems good progress has been made towards setting up the booth to run 2-strip shows. I will certainly be back when that happens.

Sadly, when I was there in October, the clock wasn't working! At least I did see it working in April. There's something about a clock on a building, when it's working, it's clear sign that the building is in use, and being cared for.

How many were there for the Birds?

Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2003 08:33 PM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The director said 576 paid for The Birds, I think. It made the auditorium look pretty full. Ok, not a capacity crowd, but considering this was during the winter, I thought it was great. (We never get anywhere near that good of a turnout for older films in my area.) I'd like to go there in the summer for a 1000+ crowd for a classic film.

I think there are pictures of the clock on the website now. I love it just because it is something not seen much nowadays.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: