Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 16mm in theatres ?!?! huh?!!!!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 16mm in theatres ?!?! huh?!!!!!!
Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 02:34 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought i'd point this out to everyone. Over on the 8mm collector forums, someone is claiming that 16mm is currently being used in lots of multiplexes, and some prints even use reverse scan soundtracks. This all sounds very bizzare. Anyone ever heard such a thing?

Danny

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-14-2003 02:44 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the most part, the only theatres in the US which have 16mm capability are repertory houses, theatres on college campuses, or venues which regularly run film festivals. I have a very hard time believing that more than a handful of multiplexes even have 16mm capability, much less use it on a regular basis. Perhaps that is a reference to AMC's now-defunct "project HQ" which experimented with 16mm in smaller multiplexes in the late '80s/early '90s. Apparently the idea was that prints could be shipped on 6000' reels and could be run by employees with almost zero training. (Never mind that many of the 35mm operators in AMC theatres have received almost zero training.) Apparently the concept died when larger screens became popular. Until the mid-80s, airlines used 16mm prints as well; now, they seem to mostly use Hi-8 video tape.

There is a 16mm DTS sound system, which uses timecode recorded on the optical track (hence, no optical backup) and a standard DTS player. I've seen one of the prints, but never a complete system.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 03:30 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember AMC boasting about how much money they could save on print shipping costs. Thank goodness it never flew.

I do remember from the early 70's that Trans-Lux Theatyres had some 16mm twins popping up (maybe also Jerry Lewis Cinemas). I think the prints were actually coming from the division that serviced airplanes with prints. I don't know (or remember) how widespread these theatres were, or if they converted to 35mm at some point (or just plain closed).

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 04:15 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Theatres' president (at the time) Stanley Durwood, had been experimenting and running 16mm systems in selected AMC theaters under the name of "Project HQ". It was first reported in weekly Variety (Aug. 22, 1984 and July 29, 1987) and an in-depth story was done in Boxoffice magazine (March 1988). It used modified Eastman model 25 projectors with stereo soundhead, xenon lamphouse, automation, and 6000 foot reel arms. When Stan Durwood died a couple of years ago, so did Project HQ and all the projectors were removed and they ended up at International Cinema Equipment in Miami, Florida.

There is an Elmo model LX-2200 that has reverse scan stereo soundhead and DTS digital sound has started appearing on some 16mm prints. DTS does have a 16mm DTS system now.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-14-2003 04:16 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the Laemmle theatres in Los Angeles, can run 16mm in one or
more auditoriums. One auditorium at Loew's Beverly Center was 16mm
equipped. They did a test over at one of the AMC Burbank Theatres,
back in the 80's.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-14-2003 04:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Elmo LX-2200 is not reverse-scan...it is normal forward scan with a slit lens. It does have a stereo cell though.

While I do know of theatres that have 16mm capability (multiplex) none run them regularly and they are art type houses.

That said, I've been putting a bunch of 16mm systems on line as of late...however most have come along with a 35mm system. The only 16mm only installations I've done was at a university that teaches film.

Steve

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-14-2003 04:59 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The United States Military was screwing around with that in the '70's, and converted to 16mm. The idea was to circuit sea prints and save a couple of bucks. All the 35mm machines were put in salvage, and lot of that used crap you buy today was just that - military surplus. After the military lost their shirts on that lame-brain idea, The attendance must have dropped to almost "0" and all the 16mm machines went into salvage and replaced with state-of-the art 35mm equipment.

What lame-brain would expect a beautiful picture on a screen 105 feet away with a masked screen size of about 16 feet high and about 37 feet wide is beyond me. But they tried it, and lost - big time. The pictures were so poor you would have a major headache within the first 30 minutes.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2003 05:43 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A listing of Laemmle Theatre capabilities:

http://www.laemmle.com/rentalfac.html

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-14-2003 06:12 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm is almost extinct even in the documentary field. There is a 16/35mm Kinoton FP38E at the Sony Center in Berlin for the Film Festival, but when I worked there, we used it only once or twice. Most documentary film makers now shoot on digital video.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-14-2003 07:16 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the long gone UA Marina City cinemas in Chicago were built as 16mm houses but I've never gotten any confirmation about that.

16mm can be projected quite large with an appropriate projector, lamp and a good lens and look good but obviously it's no match for 35 or 70mm.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-14-2003 07:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll put good 16mm up against the typical 35mm release print anyday. The quality achievable is quite astounding. You figure the height of a 16mm image on the film versus the height of a Super-35 image isn't too much off (about 1/10 of an inch).

A lot of what kills the 16mm image is the poor lenses people use combined with poor light. Without DTS, the 16mm sound is kinda wanting though it too can be passible.

If you want to make any 16mm projector put out about 10X better picture, try an ISCO Vario-Kiptaron 20-60mm not the cheap one It will beat the socks off of some of the finest 35mm format lenses.

Steve

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-14-2003 08:23 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
some 16mm twins popping up (maybe also Jerry Lewis Cinemas)
Paul, FWIW, all the Jerry Lewis theatres I've ever serviced were 35mm.
[Smile]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-14-2003 09:32 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With master and slave Ballantyne Pro 35's & VIP's?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-14-2003 10:19 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OUCH! [evil]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2003 12:11 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Paul, FWIW, all the Jerry Lewis theatres I've ever serviced were 35mm.
Back in the early 70's?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: