Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » About Schmidt -- wide release? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: About Schmidt -- wide release?
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2003 10:07 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I notice that according to Fandango, there is one theatre in Nashville, TN (Regal Green Hills 16) and one in Birmingham, AL (Carmike Summit 16) showing "About Schmidt" (it has Jack Nicholson in it). Will this movie eventually have a wider release so that a theatre in the Huntsville area (3 theatres with 40 screens total) will run it?

According to filmreleases.com, the movie oepned on December 13, 2002 and had a "wide release" to 813 theatres on January 3, 2003. That's an average of 16 theatres per state, meaning there should be many more theatres showing this movie. What's up?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2003 10:42 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is currently on 865 screens (as of last weekend). Most of these are saturated in major markets (think top 25-40). This is one of those pictures that will probably not expand much more, but rather, look for it to "move" to smaller markets as it starts losing playdates. Most smaller markets will play this one "off the break."

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2003 11:15 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, since this movie has been out for about a month, you think that they might have started to make DTS discs since the movie does have timecode on the film. I have enquired with other theaters around my area if they have received thier discs yet, but none have. Even though it is primarily a dialog movie, it would be nice to have it run through a digital sound system, besides SRD. I have heard that DTS is supposed to be on top of this, but that was a couple of weeks ago, and still nothing. [Frown]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-16-2003 01:04 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...has it ever happened that a film releases without DTS discs and then they come later? In recent years?
I understand that before release discs are hard to come by, but I was under the impression that films with timecode but without discs were that way because someone changed their mind partway through the process.

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-16-2003 02:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I emailed Karen almost 2 weeks ago regarding discs and at that time they were going to the press. I have no idea what the holdup is on this movie, but I wish I could get a set. (This is where it would be useful to be able to download and burn my own set.)

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 09:19 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typically, Regal Madison Square 12 here shows many such movies a while after their initial release. If a theatre here in Huntsville gets this movie, they probably will.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 11:23 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huntsville didn't open About Schmidt on the national break? Blame Miramax! [Razz] The Hollywood 18 opened 2 prints of Chicago, thus no room for About Schmidt.

OTOH New Line might be waiting until Regal has removed all the fixed-ratio screens in Huntsville. That way people can see a scope movie (like About Schmidt) without any of the image chopped off.

Regal is actually good at getting upmarket/arthouse product into Huntsville. The Madison Square 12 currently has Bowling for Columbine (ends today) and Far from Heaven. The Hollywood 18 opens Adaptation and Antwone Fisher tomorrow (Antwone Fisher going wide).

Now if Regal can only do the same here in New Jersey . . .

Coleman L. Zatarain
Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 11:35 AM      Profile for Coleman L. Zatarain   Author's Homepage   Email Coleman L. Zatarain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am opening a print in Montgomery, Alabama tomorrow. Mid-South was supposed to deliver it last night but was a no show [Confused] . Hopefully it will be there this afternoon.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-16-2003 11:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI About Schmidt is a 1.85 flat movie.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-16-2003 11:47 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are waiting until "About Schmidt" gets Oscar buzz before really expanding it. It's not right to make a movie if you can't get any Oscar buzz out of it.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 12:06 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Huntsville didn't open About Schmidt on the national break? Blame Miramax! The Hollywood 18 opened 2 prints of Chicago, thus no room for About Schmidt
And Miramax is to blame for Global Warming, too. In Bakersfield, ABOUT SCHMIDT is playing at both a 14 and a 16 plex. Neither one is showing CHICAGO. So two screens of CHICAGO shouldn't prevent ABOUT SCHMIDT from being booked at an 18-plex. Should we blame the distributors of the movies occupying the other 16 screens there?
So perhaps there may very well be OTHER reasons for the bookings (or lack of), Charles?

quote:
New Line might be waiting until Regal has removed all the fixed-ratio screens in Huntsville. That way people can see a scope movie (like About Schmidt) without any of the image chopped off.
Do studios really take this into account when booking films outside of L.A. or New York? Do they keep records of screen dimensions? I'm not saying they SHOULDN'T, but do they?

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 01:33 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles -

Print availability is print availability. No "Blame Miramax" here. If there is anyone to "blame," blame the film buyer. More likely, though, blame New Line. If the print is not available, it's not available. Not enough room? I'm sure the film buyer really would rather have held over Treasure Planet/Hot Chick this week, rather than finaling them for "About Schmidt." Maybe Miramax told them they weren't allowed to. Come on Charles, the world does not revolve around Miramax. Yes, they are pushy around this time of the year, and probably only good for about the first quarter business-wise, but that push is what makes these movies do so much business.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2003 03:39 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
OTOH New Line might be waiting until Regal has removed all the fixed-ratio screens in Huntsville. That way people can see a scope movie (like About Schmidt) without any of the image chopped off.
Last I heard, there were only 3 of the 18 screens at Hollywood 18 remaining to be upgraded to adjustable masking. For all I know, they might be done. I don't know how the Madison Square 12 ones are coming. I don't want to bug the person providing me the information too often. [Smile] Anyway, if "About Schmidt" is flat, the screen ratio is a non-issue since the fixed-ratio screens were 1.85:1.

It's going to be a cold, possibly icy, weekend here in Huntsville, so I probably won't be going off anywhere far this weekend to see any movies.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2003 04:03 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20 bucks says Charles doesn't respond with a valid reason why Miramax should be blamed.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2003 11:51 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About Schmidt added 81 screens this week to bring the total to 81. It is now showing in Mankato, MN (DMA #199).

[ 01-19-2003, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spaeth ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: