Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Unique use for CIRO splicer

Author Topic: Unique use for CIRO splicer
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2003 12:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This poor old CIRO was seen today while on a service call in notrhern Utah. Finally, a good use for one of these splicers!
M  -
ark

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-17-2003 02:49 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the splicer is being used for what is was designed for. Even still, I bet other objects could do an even better job. That poor splicer.... it can't do anything well.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-17-2003 03:14 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, the title of your post must have telegraphed the punchline to me! Haha. As I clicked, I thought "a doorstop?", and then the picture appeared!

Or else, everyone has bad memories about these things.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-17-2003 03:26 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not the intended use [Confused]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-17-2003 05:28 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another good use for CIR splicers:

Mount the base on the wall and stick a roll of toilet paper on the handle for a designer toilet paper dispenser.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2003 08:46 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would never treat my great CIRO splicer in such a manner.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2003 09:21 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh, I thought this would start off another great Ciro vs. Neumade splicer fued!
Mark

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2003 10:38 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really is time this was put to bed. It's getting rather tedious reading the same lines again and again.
The CIRO is a knock off of the CIR splicer, and as such is not especially good. There is nothing particularly wrong with the CIR unit, nor is there with the Neumade. I've used both and had good results from them, each has it's good and bad points. I can't believe anyone got decent splices from the Strong thing, all the examples I've seen haev a fundamental flaw; they don't cut the tape close enough to the edge of the film, causing joins to be thrown off deeply flanged rollers, like on a Dolby Cat701. The theatre that had those up here replaced them with CIR splicers and the problem of film coming off the Cat701's went away. They now use the originally supplied Strong splicers for door stops!

I guess the bottom line is that we all have our preferred pieces of kit, and we are all different. It would be a pretty mundane world if that was not true.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-17-2003 03:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The Strong splicer I was sent made very good splices, unlike the one Philippe Laude purchased (that was just reviewed on the site). My only main beef with it was that the registration pins were right next to the punches, which makes it difficult to properly lay down the splicing tape for good corner adhesion. But then again, the CIR models are like that too. At least I've seen the Strong make good splices though. Never seen a CIR made splice worth a flip.

(Pete, this is one that will never stop as most people are pretty dead set on one design or the other. Just enjoy reading for humor value. [Wink] )

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2003 08:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed Pete, this is all meant only for humor...like the running jokes here about platters vs. reel to reel, and which platter system is best.......... [Smile] These debates wiil go on forever!
Mark @ CLACO
www.clacoequipment.com

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-18-2003 09:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly Mark just made a typo whereas Reel-to-reel is the proven best by a century of test! [Razz]

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: