Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » There should be more theatres like Honolulu's Varsity

Author Topic: There should be more theatres like Honolulu's Varsity
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-17-2003 11:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I have been to the Varsity Theatre in Honolulu many times, I dont know why but I only now realize what a wonderful theatre (s) it is. It is a two screen complex and the reason I might have not appreciated this theatre complex until now was most likely due to the memories I had when the house was a very large single screen 70mm venue. The Varsity is operated by Pacific Theatre's Hawaii division, Consolidated Amusement The lobby and the interior of both auditoriums are rather plain and the seats althougn not plush, are very comfortable. Not only are the seats comfortable but so is the spacing between the rows of seats. I am six foot tall and can easily stretch out my legs because of the distance between my seat and the one in front of me. The sound at the Varsity is nothing special but it is not bad. Both of the auditoriums are analogue Dolby SR only but will be upgraded to digital when my friend Alan Sakaida can find the time to do it. The only problem I have with the Varsity is the width of the screens. There is no problem with flat features but a lot of the sides are cropped whenever they show a movie in scope because the entire dimension of the screen is only a tad wider than the normal 1.85.1 ratio. The theatre is very clean and the lobbly has a feel of an antique museum with their old furniture and ancient 35mm projectors at the theatre entrance. Part of the walls in the lobbly are decorated with 8 X 10 photographs of many wonderful large screen theatres operated by Consolidated from the late twenties up to the early sixties. The popcorn and the hot dogs at the Varsity are delicious and the variety of candy they sell are always fresh. Beside the charm of the theatre, the thing that make the Varsity extra special is the theatre staff. When was the last time you went to the movies and you were thanked when leaving? By the way, the Varsity is a art house venue and is located very close to the main University of Hawaii campus in Honolulu. This theatre has a lot of charm and I plan to go there often.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: