Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Charles Everett Vs. Miramax Film Corp. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Charles Everett Vs. Miramax Film Corp.
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2003 10:10 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always been curious, and lately even more curiosity is beeing aroused among other members in the National Security review thread of all places.
Charles likes to take stabs at Miramax every chance he gets.
Seems Miramax is to blame for everything from other movies not being shown at certain places, films arriving in poor condition, global warming, and the death of Christ.

So the question here is does Charles have a personal beef with this company or what?

Other than being ACCUSED of buying awards (is there any real evidence of this?), the limited availability of certain titles, and their tendency to sit on and push back the releases of certain movies, I haven't really seen any dirty work from these guys.

So here it is, Charles.
Your chnace to let it all out once and for all.
Don't be afraid, we don't bite. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-19-2003 10:13 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Releasing a limited number of prints, IMHO, isn't 'dirty work' it's, just good business sense.

If only fewer prints of Movies like Master of Disguise, Undercover Brother, and etc. were available, the world would be a much better place. [Smile]

For popular titles, a limited availabilty of prints only drives up demand for when you finally get it (or you just never get it in competitive areas - in which place you play something else).

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2003 10:19 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fewer prints is an excellent idea for any film that can't pull in huge crowds the opening weekend. Films that need word of mouth or nurturing and dont pull in the teen crowd would be dead opening in 3000 plus screens.
Miramax is good at what it does. It gets publicity (all studios do, although the way Charles talks, you'd think there was a total blackout on all other studio films. Anybody who watches tabloid TV will realize that is a crock). So a double standard exists. So it MUST be personal.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-19-2003 10:47 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, who the hell is Charles Everett? [Roll Eyes]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-19-2003 10:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait about 2 years and he will bump this up. [Big Grin]

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2003 11:14 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean to make the limited number of prints thing to sound like I was referring to it as dirty work.
It's something that has been mentioned before.
For example, I think he mentioned some theatre that was unable to play Amelie (even after it had become a hit) because it was already playing somewhere else in the city.

Then again, I tend to not word things properly anyway.

I agree with the idea of fewer prints.
If my buildup guys and I have to build up 5 or 6 prints for one week, I'd much rather have 5 or 6 different movies than 3 or so of two different titles.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-19-2003 11:24 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, I know you didn't think limited releases were bad. I know the mystery man does though. [Smile]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2003 02:07 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charled will never answer. I dont know who this guy is but I take issue with him strongly. He is always commenting on the company that I work for he seems to know all this stuff about what is supposedly going on and its all crap. Anyone who reads these forums will know that I will defend my company to the death I honestly love working for them. I have asked Charles before to explain where he gets some of his untrue information from and he cannot be bothered to respond to my emails or respond to my questions in the forums. I for one take nothing this person says seriously and I do not think that he contributes here in anyway. Just my opinion.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-20-2003 02:18 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet that Miramax pulled all their advertising from his newspaper and that he's held a grudge against them ever since. In fact, Miramax probably advertises heavily (to supposedly over promote their product) in his newspapers competition.

But we'll probably never know. It's funny, I've never met someone that worked at a newspaper that was afraid to respond to something. Then again, it explains the totally one-sided, apparently biased and possibly prejudicial, 'editorials'. [Smile]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-20-2003 10:56 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now with the Golden Globes finished with. Maybe Charles is counting how much Miramax spent to get the awards. Miramax won with films like
Chicago, Gangs of New York (Director & Song), Frida (Score) and
The Hours (Paramount/Miramax). Like what was said above about Miramax
it's gets Publicity and releases some fine films. But they release some [bs] over the year. I spend alot of time running for Paramount
and Miramax. They keep the film maker happy. They spend money getting the film made & released. All the other studios do the same thing.
Paramount Classics (Paramount), Focus (Universal), Fine Line (New Line), UA (MGM), Sony Classics (Sony). Miramax has alot of clout in
this department, they know what buttons to push. I guess they pushed
Charles button on something. Every Studio on every release tries to get as many screens, as they can. So they can take that full page ad in the Trades for their Big weekend gross.

And that keeps the Film Maker very Happy. [Big Grin]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-20-2003 11:12 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles has said things like former New York Mayor Giuliani is a fascist (because Giuliani opposed spending tax dollars on "art" such as the crucifix of Christ in a jar of urine). He's made anti-Bush comments. He posts links to Internet "news" sources that push radical leftist agendas. None of this bothers me at all, except that it's largely inappropriate subject material for Film-Tech forums. (Yet here we are talking about it. [Wink] )

With the Miramax thing, all we can do is read between the lines since Chaz won't explain his views. What we do know is he hates the company and Harvey Weinstein. The basis of his disdain for Miramax seems to be that:

1) Miramax is aggressive about promoting its films as Oscar bait. It also seems to do a lot of arm-twisting to get its product in certain markets. I guess this makes Miramax an industry bully.

2) Miramax sometimes delays the release of certain films (e.g. "The Quiet American") for what might be construed as purely political reasons. Yet he neglects to mention that Miramax funded all or at least part of the making of those films in the first place. Miramax probably knew what they were buying before production started, and that begs the question "Why did they get involved at all if they're then going to sit on the release for political reasons?" This makes no business sense.

3) In this thread Charles says certain films should not get any awards whatsoever, SOLELY because Miramax was involved with making them. (He also rejects the notion of giving awards to anyone who's one awards in the past.) In other words, Miramax's sins (whatever they may be) are so grievous that everyone involved in a Miramax release (actors, directors, etc.) must be punished for the alleged sins of Miramax the company.

4) In this thread Charles seems to be accusing Miramax of "punishing" certain theatres and even certain digital sound formats by omitting them from newspaper ads. Miramax's motivation for dissing the theatres and sound formats is never explained though. Never mind the fact that all newspaper movie ads are notorious for containing errors. Sloppy editing and proofing are probably the worst offenses Miramax can be accused of.

I could go on, but I won't. But this anti-Miramax thing just begs to be explained...

[Smile]

[ 01-20-2003, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-20-2003 11:25 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats funny about theatre digital formats in newspapers. Fox only
puts the regular Dolby logo, on most releases in the stack ads in
New York. But in Los Angeles, Fox puts the full digital formats in
the stack ads. Fox most have a former Miramax person in the ad
deparment. [Big Grin]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2003 12:29 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
VERY IMPORTANT - These forums are moderated in the respect solely toward personal insults. Everyone is welcome to participate in any capacity until the point comes at which other members are being singled out and directly insulted. This does not mean you cannot post a negative report on a product, service or customer support. All this refers to is the tone of the post if made toward a specific member of the forums. Disagreements are a daily occurence on the forums and will not be moderated, but personally attacking another member will not be tolerated. If you are unsure if your post will "read" poorly toward another, please consider using smileys to assist in expressing the tone of your post or re-word it before posting. The smiley codes are explained above. The bottom line is to please be polite, mature and professional towards the other members or you will be removed from the forums, regardless of your knowledge or stature in the industry. This includes sending harrasing emails to other members and comments made in the chat room. When in doubt, please do as your mother told you and keep your comments to yourself.

Thank you for your cooperation and enjoy the forums.

[Roll Eyes]
=TMP=

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-20-2003 12:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's a "personal attack" to ask someone "Why do you keep slamming Miramax?" When a debate erupts here over whether or not twisting speaker wire with a drill is good practice, knowledgable industry people state their views and their reasoning, and readers can choose a side if they want. Nobody's feelings should be hurt one way or the other. When the merits of SDDS are debated, some people love it and some hate it; all sides of the issue are aired; nobody's mind is likely to change; but at least people explain WHY they like or hate it. If a frequent contributor wants to make "guerilla attacks" against a company like Miramax, is it unreasonable to ask "Why do you feel that way?" [Wink]

Really this is much ado about nothing and now I kind of regret jumping in at all. [Embarrassed]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2003 01:26 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with David here. I think people posting in certain topics should be clear about personal agendas that may be driving their opinions. (although I would NEVER attack someone for making anti-Bush statements [Wink] .

For example, a member made a comment about his own negative review of the movie Chicago. No problem there. The film didn't work for him, and he explained the reasons why. Totally valid comments. Films either work or don't work for us. We bring in our own life experiences to every film we see. (I haven't seen the film yet, but I loved the the stage revival I saw in Vegas several years ago).

Charles, on the other hand, has not seen or admits to seeing Chicago, but thinks everyone who has seen and liked it are vivtims of some kind of hype brainwashing.

The problem with Charles is his hit-and-run mentality. He refuses to respond to any legitimate question posed. I personally see nothing wrong with asking those questions. The number one priority of ANY film company, Miramax included, is to return a profit to the owners/shareholders. It is true Miramax will from time to time re-evalute its films and decide a limited or straight-to-video title is in the best interests of the company at a particular time. (I'm sure the company behind Pluto Nash now wish they had taken the same track). What Bill says is also valid, that the company (as all do) essentially balance the short-term economic choices with keeping talent happy (perhaps a certain film will get a push that may not deserve it to demonstrate to talent that they are valued, hoping that a better or more commercial film will emerge from them in the future). All one has to do is take a look at the trades to see that all studios, not just Miramax, play the hype game around Oscar season. Films and acting "performances" that even Miramax would be embarrassed to pitch for.

If it hadn't been for Miramax "forcing" theatres to take their product, some of the films that never would have come to Bakersfield would have included "Strictly Ballroom," "Muriel's Wedding," "Red," "White," Blue," "Like Water for Chocolate," "Shall We Dance," and many others. As a matter of fact, many of these played at a struggling art house that eventually closed. According to the owners, Miramax was the company that gave them the best terms for films in the hopes of developing an art-house market locally. Other companies put them low on the booking lists and didn't give them a chance to book until months after the films closed in other markets.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: