Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Caricaturist : Al Hirschfeld dies at 99 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Caricaturist : Al Hirschfeld dies at 99
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-20-2003 12:57 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Famed Caricaturist Al Hirschfeld has died in NY. He was 99. Later this
spring they were going to rename the Martin Beck Theatre after him.
He was famous for drawing many stars since the 1920's.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2003 01:02 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No more "Nina"'s. Very sad. RIP Al.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2003 05:14 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another true immortal artist gone. [Frown]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-20-2003 05:39 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is/was Martin Beck and why is he no longer deserving of being memorialized?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-20-2003 05:46 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin Beck was a Broadway Producer. Some of the theatres, over the years have been renamed after (critics, playwrights, actors). Mr. Hirschfeld's name is going up on this theatre. For all the work he did for Broadway. June 21st was to have been his 100th birthday.

[ 01-21-2003, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-20-2003 06:52 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Al Hirschfeld was one of the 20th century's truly great illustrators and raised the craft of caricature into respectable art. Most anyone could easily identify his distinct drawing style. But unlike many other illustrators with a certain style, his style endured through many decades.

To me, Hirschfeld is as much a titan to commercial illustration as fellows like Norman Rockwell.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2003 08:33 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since she was a toddler, my daughter would eagerly count the "Nina's"
in his drawings in the NYTimes. (She's 23 now, and has been working in museums in Houston and NY.) I was hoping he'd make it to his 100th birthday, but am consoled that he died in his sleep. He was productive to the very end.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-20-2003 08:35 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meaning no disrespect to the estimable Mr. Hirschfeld, I just don't like renaming. Perhaps from a generic name but I don't even like that. But certainly not when someone has been honored with something named for them then it should not be taken away. It's disrespectful and suggests that despite having something or other named for them we have forgotten who they were or why they mattered, precisely the reason for the naming. If having this theater named for Martin Beck did little to preserve his memory then why would the Hirschfeld family want such a dubious "honor"?

Let them build something new and name that for the honoree.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-20-2003 08:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Steve,
Re-naming a place after someone that has had that honor bestowed upon them...especially after they have kicked the bucket is pure stupidity in itself and very disrespectful of that persons family! There is plenty of room for them to build something else and dedicate it to him. Gee, What if they re-named the Ed Sullivan Theatre The David Letterman Theatre??? Overall, only someone with no brains and that survives on pure stupidity would ever consider doing something like this.....
Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-20-2003 09:34 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but the Ed Sullivan Theatre used to be the Oscar Hammerstein Theater. (No, not that Oscar Hammerstein. The familiar one was Oscar Hammerstein II; the theater was named after the grandfather.) Renaming it for Letterman is no more disrespectful to Ed than CBS was to Mr. Hammerstein.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2003 04:51 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree it's a shame to change the name of a theater or other place named in honor of someone for whom it was intended to evoke the contributions of the person after whom it was named. Oh, in the case of someone who disgraced his name, perhaps, I'd agree to change it.
But today sports stadiums have their appelations changed to advertise corporations who restore them, or merely buy--or rent--the right to name them for advertising purposes. That makes it difficult to know exactly where a game will be played, unless you keep up with the business pages.

I was hoping Al Hirschfield would reach the age of 100 to join the ranks of the 1,787 New York City centenarians (year 2000 censes, up
23% from 1990).
More Live Past A Century
He was "Mr.Theater" in New York, and has probably been to more plays, known more actors and directors, and witnessed more theatrical history than anyone in U.S. history. He deserves to have a theater BUILT for his memory, not just named. I'm curious to find out the provisions of his will. He lived very modestly, yet his original drawings sold well in a specialty art gallery. I suspect he may have left a legacy to the Actors' Fund and the Actors' Home.

His obit and some of his recent drawings (he sketched the Marx Brothers, whom he knew well, last Saturday) are worth a look:
Al Hirschfield, 99, Dies; He Drew Broadway

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2003 09:38 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, he will be missed. I was very pleased that they did a piece in Fantasia 2000 based on his style. That is probablly my favorite piece in the whole movie.

-

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2003 09:49 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More Al Hirschfeld drawings and prints, fron the 1920's through 2003, may be viewed at the online gallery run by Margo Feiden, at

http://www.alhirschfeld.com/random/index.html

I find this site wonderful to browse.
You can save the images if you don't click to enlarge them, as Ms Feiden retains the reproduction rights. Originals and reprints may be purchased at the online gallery or at the Margo Feiden Gallery in New York.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-22-2004 10:00 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 568 days since the last post.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2004 10:00 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if he ever designed any theatrical movie posters?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: