Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » KLEZ Virus is firing up again

Author Topic: KLEZ Virus is firing up again
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2003 07:58 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a word of warning.....

I have gotten 9 KLEZ (Variation H) virus e-mails in the last 2 days. Many are coming in the name of Rocky Johnson, lizkearns or sa, and have attached *.bat files. Anti-virus caught all of them, fortunately.

Most everyone should be protected against this one, but it's never a bad idea to update. And, be very careful when opening attached files.

Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX, Linux users, as usual, can ignore this warning.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-24-2003 08:17 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only 9 in two days? More like two hours.

Do your friends a favour and lookup their email address from the email header source and tell them they've got the virus. [Smile]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-25-2003 02:49 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is getting to the point where I don't want to download anything, especially something that comes with an eml file extension like Macro-Shaft's Outhouse Express....I don't know about other ISP's, but at least AOL has a setting that will not open the file after download unless you tell it to. I have never picked up a virus program through AOL, as their screening seems to be very tight. I hear MS is also doing that, but they are not as aggressive as AOL is in screening virus-carrying downloads.

This is off the subject:

Daryl, why does WIN 95, 98, and ME glitch sound files while something is running in the background and Win 2000 Pro does not?

Someone explained to me in terms that Win 95, 98, and ME is like a single barrel shotgun where windows 2000 Pro is a double barrel shotgun which uses one barrel for different things, and the other barrel for other different things at the same time. [Confused]

Josh told me tonight that he installed Windows 2000 Professional in one of his machines on my suggestion, and the sound is running glitch free. By the way it sounds, Josh is happier than a hog in a pen full of shit when he plays his music from the hard drives at the same time he surfs the net and opens and closes programs.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-25-2003 10:21 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to look at my emails on the POP3 server using Mailwasher before downloading them into my client software via Norton Antivirus. Mailwasher will show you the message text with all hidden links, attachments and shite like that shown as raw ASCII so you can see what is there without anything executing. If it looks suspicious, I delete it from the server using Mailwasher before it gets anywhere near my PC. I use Eudora 5.1 with the 'allow HTML executable' option disabled as my e-mail client, and therefore figure at at least one of these three lines of defence (Mailwasher, then Norton and finally Eudora HTML-blocking) should stop anything nasty getting in.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2003 11:08 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a virus, but has anyone else recieved a chain email saying that Bill Gates is giving away his fortune, all you have to do is foward the email and microsoft will magically know and send you a ton of money [Roll Eyes]
The email that came to me had a ton cc's, i hope my cousin gets her money [Roll Eyes]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-25-2003 12:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That one's been floating around in various forms for years. I remember when it was "a joint project between Disney and Microsoft," with a letter written by "Walt Disney Jr." (there is no such person) promising a free trip to Disney World when the email was forwarded to 5,000 users. This was clearly a hoax....has anyone ever known Disney to give ANYTHING away?

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2003 01:23 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received 32 klez and elkern viruses in a matter of a few days. Then I received a hoax email saying how to fix it. They said delete something like jgbmgr.exe.

But of course that was a hoax. What I finally did was download the program "Stinger" from McAfee.

It found and got rid of them.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-25-2003 02:10 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I also use Mailwasher and bounce megs of spam and email off of my server every day. There was a two week period of time when someone's computer in Greece was sending me 200 meg a day in virus crap. He got it all sent back to him. [evil]

The .exe file Joshua mentioned is actually a java manager that you will not miss until you wonder why javascripts won't run in your browser. This legitimate windows system file has a teddy bear icon.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2003 02:19 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also if any of you were online Fri night/early saturday morning I'm sure you noticed that the internet was acting extremely slow or not at all. This is due to a worm nearly bringing the net to its knees (5 of the 13 root servers went out!)
BBC news

It's also on CNN now, but I was on, man did it mess things up. My router was going crazy with packets on that port. What's funny is that some of the packets were coming from hotmail and ms themselves! You would think they would patch their own servers with their own critical updates.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-25-2003 03:21 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, Windows NT based OSes, including Windows 2000, handle multi-threading a lot better. They also handle priority levels much better, whereas Win9x (including ME) had priority level capabilities but didn't really pay much attention to them.

Basically Win9x's just gave out CPU time randomly, usually allowing a program to finish a complete task without slowing it down or 'pausing' it.

WinNT, OTOH, forces all the running applications to share CPU time fairly evenly. It also gives priorty to 'live apps' or 'stuff that has to happen now', which is why music and video usually plays 'skip free' on NT.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: