Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Two weird Windows problems - Any Help?

Author Topic: Two weird Windows problems - Any Help?
Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 12:28 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two computers involved, a laptop with Windows ME (Hopefully I will upgrade to WIndows 2000) and a desktop unit that was recently upgraded from Windows 98 to 2000 pro. The two computers share an internet connection through a cable modem and a wireless ethernet access point/router, but the desktop unit is wired to the router. A printer is connected to the desktop unit.

1. printer networking - Before I upgraded the desktop unit, I could print from the laptop, but afterwards, every time I tried to do so, a dialog box popped up on the laptop asking for a password. A password was never created to my knowledge, and none of the passwords I used for other things on either computer work. I also can't find anything on either computer that would allow me to require a password. After doing everything I could think of to allow free access to the printer, a dialog box comes up that says: "The was an error writing to \\computername\EpsonSty for printer (Epson Stylus Color 74 (Copy 3)). The access code is invalid. The printer will be set to work offline." Does anyone know where this password could have come from, or how to work around it? I should also note that I can print from the desktop computer without a problem.

2. Microsoft Outlook - We used Outlook for one of our email accounts on the desktop unit. After the system upgrade, Outlook asks for a password for the .pst file that apparently governs the mailboxes associated with that email address. Again this is something that was never specified on our end to our knowledge. I would like to avoid spending the $30+ on password recovery, but downloaded a demo version of software that gave the first two digits of the pasword. They were two random letters that wouldn't have been used by either of us. Does anyone know any way around this? It isn't really important that we use Outlook for email, but we'd really like to get access to the old emails. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-26-2003 01:04 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
#1 sounds like an issue with Windows networking & how workgroups are set up. Disable printer sharing on the desktop; then change the name of the workgroup on the desktop machine; then re-enable print sharing. Then join the notebook to the new workgroup. I'm not positive this will fix it but it's worth a try.

I have no idea about #2 as far as why it now wants a password. Try opening the .pst file on another system running Outlook and see what happens.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 01:55 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second David on #1. I had exactly the same thing with a laptop connected to a desktop via an Ethernet crossover cable. Both computers run W2K. The solution was to install the Windows networking component on the desktop, then completely reinstall Windows on the laptop with the network cable plugged in and the other computer booted, so that the laptop would automatically detect that there was a Windows networking connection to the desktop during the installation. When alll is said and done, I enabled printer sharing for the machine connected to the desktop, and in the security settings tab allowed my username on the laptop to have full print/modify access. I guess it probably won't be as easy if you're trying to connect two different versions of Windows, though.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 08:20 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any non-win2k computer thats wants access to a win2k computer must be logged on to the non-win2k computer with a user name and password that is registered with the win2k computer (not the user currently logged on to the win2k computer though)
So create an account on the win2k machine that uses the user name/password used on the non win2k machine.
Then they should talk just fine

as to the outlook problem, try importing the .pst file otherwise I'm at a loss. is it part of office 2k?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: