Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Pronounciation of Cinemeccanica (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pronounciation of Cinemeccanica
Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 10:34 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quickie to see what people around the world think - How do you pronounce Cinemeccanica?

I have heard it pronounced - sin-i-mek-an-i-ka and chin-e-mek-an-i-ka, which one is correct? and more importantly, which one is used more frequently?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 10:37 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard the "chin" variant. Generally either SIN-uh-meh-kan-ik-ah or shak-ee-meh-kan-ik-ah. [Wink]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-27-2003 01:03 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
C in Italian is always CH (like "chicken") if followed by E or I and always K when followed by any other vowel or a consonant. The same applies to G which is always soft (like "gentle") before E and I and a solid G if another vowels or consonant follows.

Therefore:
Cinemeccanicca - CHI-NE-MEK-KA-NI-KA
Italian is always pronounced the way it is written. E is always E as in "beg", never an EE sound like in English. I is always I as in "chin", or a stressed I like in "reel", never AI. Those vowel changes are a feature of English and do not occur in Italian spelling.
In some Italian accents, the CHI sounds more like SHI. I am sure Mr Marcheselli can provide more insight into pronounciation variations.
Note that there is a consonant H after the C in "Marcheselli". Therefore, it is not pronounced MAR-CHE (as in "march") but MAR-KE-SEL-LI. Or take "Lamborghini" which is not LAM-BOR-JI-NI but LAM-BOR-GI-NI with GI as in "geek".

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-28-2003 08:13 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael's right. If you call Milan, you'll hear the "ch" version. The thing that always amuses me are attempts at spelling it. [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-28-2003 08:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Proper US pronunication is Shake-ahhh-ma-can-icca.
Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-28-2003 10:31 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, "Century" projectors are "CHIN-tur-ees" in Italy?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 10:36 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beat you to it, Mark!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 10:51 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to IMDB, the film "Cinema Paradiso" is officially known as "Nuovo Cinema Paradiso". How do Italians pronounce "cinema" in that case? Usually when a word of English origin enters the vocabulary of a non-English speaking country, the English pronunciation is retained.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 02:12 PM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David Stambaugh wrote:
"Usually when a word of English origin enters the vocabulary of a non-English speaking country, the English pronunciation is retained."

I'm just glad someone finally spelled "pronunciation" correctly [Big Grin]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 03:23 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If only the whole site could be protected by an apostrophe usage check script. [Razz]

("its" when something belongs to something; "it's" only as a contraction of "it is")

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 03:32 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do'nt need no stinkin apostrophe usage check script's!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-28-2003 04:15 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
According to IMDB, the film "Cinema Paradiso" is officially known as "Nuovo Cinema Paradiso". How do Italians pronounce "cinema" in that case? Usually when a word of English origin enters the vocabulary of a non-English speaking country, the English pronunciation is retained.
"Cinema" is not an English word. It is derived from Greek "Kinesi (motion)". "Kinematografia" means "motion recording".
As you all know, Greek has its own alphabet (from which the Latin alphabet is derived). Many words from Greek have come down to us in a spelling which reflects Latin spelling. In classic Latin, the letter K is very rarely used. Instead, they used C which in classic Latin was ALWAYS a K sound. "Caesar" was pronounced "KA-I-SAR" not "SEE-SAR". In late Latin (from around AD 300), the C became a softened sound before E and I as described above.
Therefore, many Greek words had been transliterated with a C where the original Greek word has a K.

Most of the scientific and technical words we have today are 18th and 19th century inventions made up from Latin and Greek to make them sound, well, more technical and scientific.
I am not sure, but I think the modern term for "motion recorder" was first constructed in French as "Cinématographe" reflecting the Latinised spelling with C instead of K.

In Italian, "cinema" is of course CHI-NE-MA. I don`t think Italians would look at the word as derived from English.

"Century" would be CHEN-TU-REE. Again, this is not a word that would strike Italians as particularly English since it is derived from Latin "centum (hundred)". In Italian it is "cento".

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-28-2003 04:21 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected. [Smile]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-28-2003 05:22 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn`t mean to correct you! I just wanted to show how interesting it is which routes words travel back and forth through several languages, spellings and pronunciations (I had not realised it was spell "nun" in the middle). Italian has developed from Latin (like French, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian and Reto-Romanian). It is not surprising that to them, Latin loan words do not seem foreign even if they are not real Latin, but later constructions. The same applies to Greek which is a completely different language not related to Latin, but had been embraced as the mother language of European culture by the Romans.

Most countries do not try to pronounce English loan words the proper way, especially the Romance countries. French people usually pronounce English words as they read them in French. They won`t even speak English to you even if they understand a little.
You can have a lot of fun in France when you speak French but don`t show it at first.

Once I was in restaurant in Paris. I was with a friend from England who didn`t speak French, so he talked to the waiter in English. Simple questions like "is this pork", "what type of fish is that". The guy acted like he didn`t understand so we started acting out the animal types we meant for him, with animal sounds and all. After a short while he suddenly condescended to understand English. After the meal, I told him in French that he wouldn`t get any tip because he was an impolite ignorant.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-28-2003 05:25 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Living in a french town and never speaking french to anyone (even though I can) is fun too. You never know what you might hear. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: