Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Laptop Key Help! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Laptop Key Help!
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 12:42 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Dell Inspiron2600 Laptop, & this morning I spilled milk all over the upper right of the keyboard. I am using my computers on-screen keyboard to type this message. Most of my keys dont work, what should do? I tried too dry it & used compressed air, nothing seems to help. Can I get a new keyboard installed? Any ides?

|  IP: Logged

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 01:54 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New key board is not too bad to install.
Just get instructions/tips from the store that you buy it from.
Also check out before you do anything what your insurance may cover.
My laptop died & was replaced by insurance, I bought a similar model for $100.00 with a cracked screen, swapped the screen & hard drive & away I went.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-29-2003 01:55 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Inspiron keyboard is held in by about 6 screws on the bottom of the unit, all marked by the letter "K".

Once the screws are out the keyboard lifts out and is connected by a flat printed cable connector.

If the unit is under warranty, make use of the warranty. You paid for it. Otherwise call Dell and see if they'll sell you a replacemennt keyboard for it. They will if they have them.

The cost of a replacement keyboard is definetely not worth claiming under insurance, especially if you have never had a claim before.

In the meantime, use a PS/2 keyboard plugged into the rear of the machine.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 03:27 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl-
Do you have any idea what a replacement would cost? Ballparked?

I am moving this weekend,everything is boxed, so I wont be able to locate any paperwork for this computer. I purchased the laptop 5 months ago, do you think it's wunder warranty for something like this or are they just going to say "It's your fault you spilled milk on your keyboard!"

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-29-2003 03:52 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a CompleteCare warranty it will be covered for sure. Usually your have to pay extra for CompleteCare (which basically covers you kicking the machine down the stairs) but they often have specials where it is included as a 'standard option'.

If you have the regular warranty it may or may not be covered. I can't remember if the Inspiron series still includes 'I broke the keyboard' warranty or not. It used to.

Call Dell and give them your service tag (located on the bottom of the unit), they'll be able to tell you whether it's covered or not. If it's not it shouldn't cost you more than $50.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 03:57 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Daryl [Big Grin]

I am very happy to hear an estimate that low.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-29-2003 04:00 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully I'm not wrong. Wouldn't want to wreck your day. [Smile]

I'll laugh if they bill you $99 for shipping, like everything else they sell. You know you can buy, according to their on-line store, 9999 units of a $225,000 server and they still charge you $99 to ship each unit. Hopefully they really do give you a discount and it's some 'never thought of that situation' programming error.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 04:27 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked my online account. Luckly I do have CompleteCare Coverage so I can get the replacement keyboard for free. But like you said, they will most likely bill 50 bucks to send the 1 pound box that will arrive in 1-4 weeks!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 02-09-2003 01:12 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you're done moving find your invoice... it doesn't make any sense that the website said you had CompleteCare coverage when you apparently don't.

BTW, do the keys not work at all, or will they work if you press them down and push them back and forth? If the latter, you may be able to 'wash' the keyboard to get it working again.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2003 01:41 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recent Activity:

: I got a follow up call saying that I actually don’t have the Complete Care coverage & that if I were to send the laptop in it would cost $700 plus S&H to repair because the motherboard would need replacing as well as the keyboard components. Well, you can guess what I told them! Also, now that they know I have a problem my original crappy warranty is void unless I have them fix it. Ye-yah!

The representative told me that my account information was incorrectly listed on the account & that “Dell apologizes for any inconvenience this may have caused.”

As to the keys themselves: The entire right side keys do not work at all. Basically from the letter M up & over, that’s all bad. I have removed all the keys and cleaned them the way the Troubleshooters guide told me & no help that did.

As to the motherboard, the representative basically assured me that the motherboard will be eventually “destroyed” because of the spill. Do you really think that’s gunna happen?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 02-09-2003 06:34 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it hasn't killed anything else yet, I seriously doubt that it will. Of course if something is now riding near an IC's breakdown voltage it could take quite awhile before something dies but I think that Dell's hardware is designed a little better than that.

Just incase (on another note), remove the keyboard and remove and reseat the keyboard ribbon cable to make sure it just isn't covered in milk preventing the keyboard from working.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2003 07:19 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just incase (on another note), remove the keyboard and remove and reseat the keyboard ribbon cable to make sure it just isn't covered in milk preventing the keyboard from working
Could you elaborate on that a little more? What exactly do I do Daryl? I haven't heard this suggestion yet......

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-09-2003 08:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Example:
A customer complains there is gum on the theater seat he is sitting in. You remove customer from the seat to make sure that there is no gum. You reseat customer (making sure he is properly fitting in the seat and in the correct position) and walk away.

In other words, remove the ribbon cable (this will be a cable that is shaped similar to, well, a ribbon is the bet way I can describe it). It should pull out easily (just like you do with a really loose woman). Put it back in (with care) and put the keyboard back on.

Dumbass.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2003 08:32 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hate to think I'm reading your message wrong Joe but the lack of smiley's makes it hard to tell. In any case, that was rather rude and uncalled for.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-09-2003 08:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Dustin I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else with my comment.

I meant to offend Nate. [Smile]

(Smilies or not, you said it was rude either way so I guess it doesn't make a difference, eh? Poor Nate.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: