Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Northpark (Dallas) Theatre Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Northpark (Dallas) Theatre Question
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2003 10:02 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any film-techers familiar with the Northpark (or is it North Park) Theatre in Dallas, Texas? I'm curious about a couple things.

1) When did this theatre open? What was the first movie to play there?

2) Was it equipped with 70mm projection from the opening or was it installed later on for a particular engagement?

3) Was there ever an expansion? Additional screens built? Auditoriums split?

3) When did it close? Last engagement?

Should I go to any Web sites for this info (cinematreasures, cinematour, etc.)? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-31-2003 10:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well since I used to do projection and sound work there, I suppose I can answer a few of your questions.

#1 I have no idea, and again no idea. If it was still open I would say to look at the advertisement on the booth wall, but I can't.

#2 I do believe it was all 70mm from the get-go, but I was not alive during VIP night to be able to say for sure.

#3 Nothing was ever added or split.

#3 The theater closed October 21, 1998

Cinema I - Simon Birch
Cinema II - A Night at the Roxbury (technically the last show to get out)

But that's not QUITE it. The next morning we had a trade screening of Meet Joe Black, so technically that was the last film ran.

But that's not QUITE it either. That evening after the final day (the evening of the last trade screening), we had our own little private party (only several hundred of our closest friends) where we ran a double feature in Cinema I. So if you want to be REALLY technical about it, that was the last time film was ran in that building. It is now a pile of rubble thanks to the fabulous A-hole known as Mr.Nasher.

I ran all all of the last several shows. Closing the douser at the end of the end of the double feature party was something I won't forget. [Frown]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-01-2003 12:50 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1983, Tomlinson Holman personally designed an upgraded sound system for the Northpark #1 theater. It was one of the original two THX theaters configured for the release of "Return of the Jedi." General Cinemas Avco in Los Angeles was the other.

The Northpark 1-2 was originally designed as a twin theater. The lobby was small, but the #1 auditorium off to the left was BIG. The seat count was over 1,000, but I'm not sure if it was more than 1100. Screen #2, which went off to the right, had around 800 seats. It wasn't a THX certified auditorium, but it had a pretty good sound system in its own right, even before the HPS-branded sound system was installed.

The Northpark #1 was my favorite theater in Texas. And I can say from viewing experiences this theater compared favorably to any theater I visited in New York City. The theater made me an instant fan of DTS ("Jurassic Park" was the first film I watched there). The sub bass of that theater could move the air in your chest.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2003 03:00 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to a May 17, 1983 article in the Los Angeles Times, THX was in place at four commercial theatres: the Avco in Westwood (where it was also used to demo the sytem to the industry), two theatres in Dallas, Tx, and a theatre in Orlando, Florida.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-01-2003 04:09 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could have sworn I read somewhere that the Mann's Chinese theatre in L.A. was also retrofited for THX when Jedi opened.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2003 05:50 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which theater(re) in Orlando was it?

=TMP=

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2003 10:11 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I could have sworn I read somewhere that the Mann's Chinese theatre in L.A. was also retrofited for THX when Jedi opened.
The Chinese installed THX in the big house for INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM in May, 1984. It was the Egyptian that ran the first-run engagement of JEDI in 1983, sans THX.

[ 02-02-2003, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Paul Linfesty ]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 12:11 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby wrote:
quote:
In 1983, Tomlinson Holman personally designed an upgraded sound system for the Northpark #1 theater. It was one of the original two THX theaters configured for the release of "Return of the Jedi." General Cinemas Avco in Los Angeles was the other.
Bobby,
I thought you were tuning me out these days. [Smile]

Anyway, regarding the number of original THX locations, not only did Paul Linfesty clarify this following your post earlier in the thread but he clarified it a couple weeks ago in the "Longest Booked Film" thread when I made a comment about there possibly being a Florida location. Did you miss that thread, or do you not believe the facts?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-03-2003 01:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that Bobby doesn't read every single thread on this site. He should have known better. He should be banned!

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 11:31 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I belive that Northpark opened around 1962 or 1963, somewhere in the early 60's.

As for the 2nd THX auditorium in Dallas, I belive the report may have been referring to the former UA Prestonwood 5 (now Studio Movie Grill). Though this auditorium is no longer THX.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-20-2003 05:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tomlinson Holman contacted me today to settle the "controversy" over the number of original THX screens. Here's the word, straight from the source:

quote:
I did do three not four sites in time for the release of Jedi. Understand we were finishing post, pioneering a new 70 mm striping plant, a new sounding plant (at Fox), and doing the theaters Avco, NorthPark, and one that was long and narrow in Orlando Florida, a GCC site. So it's all a blur. I one time had an appointment at 2 am at Fox that I forgot. Only time that ever happened. We never proclaimed nor certified the Florida site I think because it just wasn't a good room. I don't remember the Prestonwood 5 but the person later in charge of UA
technically is now Dolby VP Bobby Pinkston. So he might know. I didn't do it myself, of that I'm sure.

Holman mentioned "two original THX theaters" to me years ago via e-mail when I asked him some questions about Northpark #1. I would have posted something from that to back up my "2 screens" argument, but I couldn't track down the notes. I do appreciate Tom clearing up the matter today.

The theater in Florida was not good enough to certify. Holman did not work on the UA Prestonwood 5 theater either --so that throws in substantial doubt that it was THXed in time for "Return of the Jedi." If the Prestonwood was certified in time, that would only bring the original number to three THX screens. And that is a big "if."

For those who question whether I "believe the facts" or not, they should get their own facts straight. This is a friendly, moderated forum anyway. Those who need to flame or insult need to do it on the Usenet and not here.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 06:31 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Bobby. Chill. My facts are also correct. The Los Angeles Times article I cited did indeed state (word for word) what I posted. While I can in no way swear to the veracity of the Times article, I can state, to the fact that this is what the article stated. I added no editorial comment on whether the LA Times article was factual or not. I let the article stand as is.

Oh, and thanks for permission to flame and insult in Usenet. I just might take you up on the offer! [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-20-2003 09:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Only one set of facts can be correct. If you want to take the account of a newspaper article over that of the guy who actually designed and installed the original THX systems, then be my guest.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

please re-read my post. I specifically said that I was NOT taking a position one way or another. I was just reporting on what the newspaper article said. [Smile]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,
No one here is stating as fact that the Orlando or second Dallas theatre were ever officially THX certified. Paul's postings are based on information included in a newspaper article (whether factual or not) which he appears to have looked up in response to a comment I made in a different thread a while back regarding the possibility that an original THX theatre may have existed in Orlando. A comment, by the way, that was told to me about a year ago, ironically, by Mr. Holman.

The "facts" here have something to do with the content of the article remaining unchanged since publication whereas a person's memory (even respected industry professionals) may change over the course of time.

Why doesn't someone simply look up the original newspaper advertisements for the Orlando and Dallas regions when Return Of The Jedi opened to see if and how THX was handled in the ads? (It opened 05/25/83.)

Thomas Procyk: you asked about which Orlando theatre it may have been...are you near Orlando or have access to a library that carries the Orlando paper on microfilm?

Bobby? Brad? Jason? You guys seem to be near Dallas...why not look this up to see if only the Northpark was advertising a THX presentation or if a second theatre was advertising THX as well?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: