Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Modem Connections (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Modem Connections
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-01-2003 02:13 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boss's computer has a slight problem. It won't stay connected to the internet.

He has spent many hours on the phone with his ISP's technical support, but they could not detect the problem. The phone company "Zapped" the phone line, and could not find any problems. My boss plugged the modem into the demark box to determine if there was a problem with the phone system in his house, and still could not hold connection.

I found a virus in the computer, formatted the drive, reloaded all his programs, and installed a new modem.

He still can't stay on line.

We know it is a computer problem, as he took the thing down to the radio station and used its phone lines. Same problem.

Any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-01-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What brand of modem and OS?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-01-2003 03:31 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Windows 98SE, full install.
Old modem was a Diamond Supra 33K, and new one is a US Robotics 56K.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2003 03:33 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I had the same problem with a Fujitsu modem on my Earthlink DSL. Earthlink finally gave me a new modem and that seems top have solved the problem, though only time will tell.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2003 04:25 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It won't stay connected to the internet.

How long can he stay on before it disconnects?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-01-2003 04:51 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes....

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2003 07:01 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, what type of computer does your boss have? Who is the ISP? Would the Buss have anything to do with?

My friend has a Hewlet Packard and it always freezes up while on the net. He has a cable modem and asked for tech supprt and they couldn't figuer it out. He even had them come out and they couldn't get it to work. It still freezes. [Frown]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-01-2003 07:11 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a bare-bones buildup. I built that thing up about 3 years ago. The problem has developed about 4 months ago.

I am not sure of the MB type, but I told him to leave it lay at the radio station until I can look at it Monday.

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a shot in the dark... but check your power management and see what the power down time is on your hard drive.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-01-2003 08:55 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What John Hegel said. If this PC has power management capability in the BIOS, disable it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-02-2003 01:06 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it is not a power mannagement problem for two reasons: I disabled all that [bs] in the control panel, and when he was "kicked off" line, everything else worked. But it brings up an interesting point I am going to look into - and that's if he got any screwy error messages.

I do not know if the BIOS in his machine supports power management, it has been too long. From what I understand, as long as someone is screwing around with the keyboard or mouse, the power management option will not activate. (so they say in fine print)

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-02-2003 01:16 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I would think this has been checked or determined but does he have a designated phone line for his computer or does he use call waiting. Call waiting should be turned off when using a phone line that has it. have you tried actually changing the phone cable going to the modem. double check to make sure that the settings for the modem are set to the fastes conection speed. These are just some possable thoughts.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-02-2003 02:00 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl, those were discussed with the exception of the connection speed. I'll look into that. Thank you.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2003 10:40 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, have you maybe tried trying another phone line?
A faulty line will surely cease a modem connection.

Whoops!
Looks like you did check the phone line. My mistake.
[Confused]

[ 02-03-2003, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Sam Hunter ]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-03-2003 12:33 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know for sure if I fixed the problem, but when I went into the sysyem BIOS, I discovered the power management setting was set to "User Defined" and the PNP OS Installed was set to "Yes".

I disabled the Power Management feature, and set the PNP OS installed option to "NO".

Rebooted, came on line with NW Link (The boss's ISP) and it held connection. After screwing around on line, it still maintained connection without being booted.

I don't know how they got changed, maybe by the technical support people of his ISP while Jim had left thumbs... [Big Grin]

Tomorrow will tell the story when he drags his damn thing home and tries it. [Smile]

What do you think?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: