Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » V.D., "The Evilest of All Holidays" ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: V.D., "The Evilest of All Holidays" ?
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 10:19 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I need to create an anti Valentine's Day card for a friend who calls it The Evilest of All Holidays. Anyone know of some suitable graphics online...dead Cupids, etc? [Mad]

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 10:37 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some links:

http://abnormalcomics.keenspace.com/images/cupid.jpg

http://www.frenchspot.com/Holidays/Valentine/Cupid/cupid.html

http://www.speakeasycigarco.com/St%20Valentines%20Day%20Massacre.gif

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-03-2003 12:33 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This place gets weirder everyday.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 12:48 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
{{bows}} [Big Grin]

Hmm...I see that an image of last year's BD card is still online:

Clicken Sie Hier

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 02-03-2003 12:50 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Yorker's love Valentine's Day. Of course , like most Canadians we have good looking women with great personalities. The ones that don't qualify, we send to Chicago. [Wink]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-03-2003 12:51 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that! [beer]

edit: I was referring to Bob's "like most Canadians" part. But I'll try to pry my foot out of my mouth anyway.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 12:53 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl --- for those outside the US, the last link is to a photo of the "Saint Valentine's Day Massacre", a mob-related killing in Chicago on February 14, 1929:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/capone/caponesaint.htm

The movie "Some Like It Hot" used the event as a plot device.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 01:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw this subject line I thought 'V.D.' referred to a type of optical soundtrack introduced by William Fox in 1928. Proves how sad and unromantic I am. There again, it could refer to something very unromantic indeed (of the sort that requires unpleasant medical treatment), so it could be worse...

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 02:39 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years back when I saw that there was a newsgroup called alt.mag.penthouse you know what I was thinking! [Smile]

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2003 03:43 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<- is the kind of person that bakes blood red cupcakes, decorated with a variety of anti-Valentine's Day odds and ends, to share amongst other who wince at the thought of this "holiday" [evil]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-04-2003 04:03 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The nearest us staid Brits come to those sorts of extremes is an act of revenge being planned on a much unloved colleague who has called what promises to be a long, unpleasant and boring meeting starting at 1600 that (Friday) afternoon. In the hope (and almost certain expectation) that he does not lurk around these parts, I can reveal that the plan is to send him an anonymous Valentine's card. The problem is that the individual in question is almost completely devoid of any sense of humour and so probably won't have a clue what it refers to. But it'll make us feel better.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-04-2003 06:41 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, but she does hold an annual Evilest of All Holidays party. I believe this year's theme is vampire movies. Before you cast any aspersions you should know that she loves silent films and 70mm, particularly if she can fondle it. But then who amongst us doesn't enjoy that? [Cool]

Edited: I didn't catch Gracia's arrow; thought she was asking about my friend. Apparently many don't like this "holiday."

[ 02-04-2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Steve Kraus ]

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2003 02:58 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, mostly I'm just bitter. ...No-one ever sends me flowers or other random tokens of affection on the 14th of February! [Frown]

Then again, it's also a highly commercialized holiday. [Razz] ...and that's poodoo!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-05-2003 08:11 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the hard sell: furthermore all the advertising propaganda and the like is designed to make you feel that there's something wrong with you if you're not married or in a relationship, which annoys me no end.

My theory is that this is the greeting card industry addressing a major problem on its hands: that the only time [normal] people buy the things are for birthdays and Christmas, ergo the industry is trying to manufacture more occasions to boost its sales. Well, that stunt isn't going to work with me.

After all, the firework industry only ever shifts any merchandise in the fortnight before 5 October (Make that 4 July for US readers) and it doesn't seem to go bust.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-05-2003 11:17 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it seem to others as it does to me that they (the card, candy, and flower industries) are no longer pushing Sweetest Day as they once did? (Third Saturday in October. Perhaps USA only?) Surely this must have been an artificially concocted holiday so you wonder why they are letting it slide.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: