Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » multi region DVD players/importing issues? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: multi region DVD players/importing issues?
Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2003 06:48 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if multi region DVD players are available to buy in other countries?
When i bought my multi region player (pioneer 535) in 99, i was told that they will no longer be sold to limit importing, from 2000 on (bullshit?), i have since seen the odd higher end player advertised as multi region though.
I could imagine them being popular in europe and down under as american DVD's are often available well before the aussie release and sometimes even before cinema release and european arthouse DVD's are quite popular here, being PAL.
I believe that playstation can play multi region(?) but i'm more interested on the stand alone players.
Any thoughts or answers? [beer]

On a related note, my local video store is quite agressive in importing arthouse video and DVD's (from england mostly) and working in the local arthouse i have quite often found titles on their shelves that are about to screen at our cinemas, i have spoken to the video store manager and he says that he's in business to make a profit and it's unfortunate! he has said that in future he will pull them from the shelf a week before it's cinema release, i have tried to communicate to him that the damage would have already been done, but he just shruggs his shoulders [Mad] note my GM and various distributers are aware and are waiting to see if they continue!
Does anyone else have a video store with a similiar policy?
thanks
brad [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2003 07:00 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of a nightclub that used to regularly screen movies before their cinema release by buying import DVDs (Pitch Black springs to mind). I asked the owner how he felt about the legal issues and his response was '...well I don't charge to see the film so they (the distros) can't do anything' - never mind that he advertised the screenings on a billboard outside and so was directly improving his takings as a result!! He wouldn't be told. Don't know if this still goes on; I suspect not - I haven't seen anything advertised lately. The irony is that it was the WORST possible way to see anything - a friend went to the PB screening and said it was shown on teeny TV ceiling mounted TV monitors that you could hardly see and you couldn't hear the sound for all the noise (it was packed apparently). I had to say 'I told you so'!

BTW Multi region DVD players are extremely common here - and cheap - mine cost £120 and that was 14 months ago.

David

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2003 07:36 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK multi-region DVD players are more-or-less the norm if you look at retailers like Richer Sounds. Most supposedly region fixed DVD players actually have a hack that can make them multiregion if you look on the right websites.

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2003 08:06 AM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad if anything the availability of multi region DVD players have increased, among some of the overrated features like “getting rid of those annoying black bars [thumbsdown] ” the retailers seem to advertise and promote multi region compatibility. Seems the idea of region zoning to prevent the viewing of a presentation prior to its theatrical release is not effective as is the supposed analogue copy protection (macro vision) eg. Copy to VHS. And as for the PDC’s and CSS it was only a matter of time before someone worked it out.

My pic still hasn't been updated [Frown] , oh well  -

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-05-2003 08:16 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: your video shop which imports titles from abroad and rents them is probably breaking the law. When a studio sells retail video distribution rights to a company it does so for a specific country or countries only. Sometimes it will sell rights for different countries to different video labels. The copyright notice on the DVD will probably state that permission is granted for screening in private homes in the UK only. They're probably not even cleared for rental in the UK, let alone abroad.

If the studio has already licensed the film to an Australian video label for release once the cinema run is over, it will be more than a little off-pissed if it finds out that video outlets are already renting what are, in effect, pirate copies. If this place is really hitting your business and you don't like the guy, I would start tipping some studios off. If he starts getting nasty lawyer's letters he'll probably come round to your way of thinking.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-05-2003 08:36 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Showing unlicensed consumer video copies publicly (even if admission is not being charged) is a form of "piracy", hurting legitimate theatrical exhibition. Contact the MPAA or the distributor for that feature with the details, so they can prosecute.

http://www.mpaa.org/anti-piracy/index.htm

http://www.mpaa.org/about/index.htm

http://www.mpaa.org/relatedsites/index.htm

http://www.filmjournal.com/applications/guides/alpha.cfm?PageID=11111130

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2003 09:27 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies!
It makes me wonder why they continue with of charade of region coding?
Matthew said : Brad if anything the availability of multi region DVD players have increased.
It's been a little while since i've been window shopping, i tend to find myself buying something if i window shop too often [Frown] , so i've only been going by sales leaflets.

With the video store issue, we have a cross promotion thing going with them (we show their slide/they have a film poster display for us) [Confused] so it's an odd/sensitive issue! Now that my relationship has soured with the manager, if it happens again i wont hesitate on contacting the GM.
THANKS
BRAD [Smile] [Smile]

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2003 09:51 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
Here in the states, stores do not sell multiregion players off their shelves. However, if you know what to look for, you can buy a DVD player for which a firmware "upgrade" is available on the internet. It is getting more difficult to find players in which the upgrade disables macrovision, but one can often get around the region coding fairly easily. It seems that it is usually the cheaper and/or no name players that have this capability, but I am impressed and happy with the quality that my $60 player uts out. I can't disable macrovision, but that isn't really an issue for me. I really just want to be able to see dvds that aren't available here. The region coding is disabled, and it will even convert PAL to NTSC. It does all that I want it to do, and does it quite well.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-05-2003 10:21 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of PC DVD playback software ignores region coding anyway, and as for Macrovision, software which sticks two fingers up at it is readily available, e.g. DVD Decrypter. Like the self-destructing DVD mentioned in another thread, Macrovision will stop a technically illiterate consumer from hooking up his or her VHS and DVD players and pressing the buttons, but does bugger all to prevent organised piracy.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-05-2003 10:25 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Macrovision can be easily defeated with a time-base corrector. Neither it nor region coding will do anything to stop professional pirates from stealing the content off of a DVD.

I believe that DVD licencees (the equipment manufacturers) are required as a condition of the license agreement to obey the regional coding scheme, but that doesn't stop "modified" players from being sold by third parties.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-05-2003 10:31 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew, follow the directions in the FAQ and you might have some luck. [Smile]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-05-2003 10:43 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how the law treats the import of videos that were legitimately purchased elsewhere. I believe that the First Sale doctrine is what allows video rentals to take place in the first place without further compensation to or specific permission of the rights. holders. But if that extends to imports I don't know.

I thought there was some country...Australia or NZ come to mind...that required DVD players to handle all regions.

I'm rather curious what if anything would prevent the rental of audio CD's. I recall hearing of some place years ago where they would rent you a CD and time in a stereo equipped cubicle ostensibly to listen to it but as there was a tape deck present the inference was that the customer would run off their own copy. This was before CD/R's. They were shut down. (I don't recall if it was in the USA or elsewhere.) But if it is legal to rent DVD's for the person to take home then return then could not the same be done with CD's?

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2003 10:57 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,
quote:
I thought there was some country...Australia or NZ come to mind...that required DVD players to handle all regions.
Not Australia, but New Zealand is a strange place? [Smile]

In Perth and Fremantle we have a CD library (small private business) (my friend works there) where you can rent CD's and computer games (take home) either overnight and some releases weekly, in the early nineties the CD distributers got pissed off and had the rules changed, so now you can only rent CD's pre 1991(?), which is still a pretty decent deal. It's not a major industry, not that many people even know of the CD library.
CHEERS
BRAD [Smile] [Smile]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-05-2003 11:05 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this country video rental happens on the basis of a legal agreement between the publisher (who has purchased the rights from the distributor or studio) and the rental outlet, which allows the latter to rent tapes and DVDs produced specifically for that purchase. Tapes intended for retail sale are supplied by the publishers to shops on that basis only, i.e. the agreement expressly states that they can only be sold, not rented.

Presumably if you take these retail tapes or DVDs into another country then what you can do with them is determined by the destination country's copyright (and censorship) law. In most countries I would expect that to mean that copyright subsists in the content of the tape or DVD and that commercially exploiting that content is illegal without the permission of the copyright owner.

In reality, no-one is going to worry about people exporting/importing DVDs for personal use (I've ordered loads from the US and Germany via amazon.com and amazon.de), but commercial exploitation is another matter altogether. I don't know what Australian copyright law actually says, but I'd guess that it would be illegal to rent a DVD which was originally sold by retail in the UK for domestic viewing only.

I would imagine that the same applies to CDs. My local lending library has CDs (mainly of classical music) which it rents for £1 each, so there has to be an agreement somewhere - possibly with the Performing Rights Society, which administers music copyright on behalf of its owners in the UK. But I would have thought that record companies would be very reluctant to allow commercial operators like Blockbuster to rent mainstream CD titles. It's now so easy and cheap to copy a CD (writers are built into virtually every new PC nowadays, and blank discs are virtually given away) that a rental sector would probably have a severe impact on music sales. It isn't that quick and easy to dupe a DVD, yet...

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-05-2003 04:13 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, cheap multi-region or region-free players are readily available off-the-shelf at places like Best Buy and Radio Shack in the US. And higher-end modded players are available at specialty shops. Example: Cyberhome DVD-500 (German machine built in China) available at RS for $69 US is multi-region with defeatable Macrovision, has component and progressive scan outputs, plays PAL or NTSC without geometry errors, and has built-in DD and DTS decoders. Plays MP3s and JPEGs too. Not the greatest pictures I've ever seen, but for $69 it is a great value. At the other end of the quality scale right now, the best bang-for-the-buck seems to be the Panasonic RP-82. It sailed through the latest DVD video shootouts and can be had with region mod for around $400 US.

I would assume multi-region players are much more popular outside the US. Since the US gets Hollywood releases first, most people here don't have a desire for anything other than Region 1. But there is a small US market for multi-region players nonetheless, for folks like me who enjoy foreign films that will not likely get a US release. My Japanese DVD library for example is currently about 50% Region 2 (Japan NTSC) or Region 3 (HK/Taiwan/Korea NTSC) legitimate DVDs of Japanese films. All available through legitimate on-line foreign dealers like CD Japan and Amazon Japan, or through legitimate on-line US importers like Poker Industries in NJ or Hoteiya Las Vegas here. Though I'm sure the MPAA doesn't like it, I've never had any issues or hassles buying legitimate foreign DVDs or machines to play them on. US titles on foreign DVD may be another matter. The only US titles on foreign DVD that I have are the Japanese Region 2 DVDs of the Warner Bros Looney Tunes (three Tweety discs so far). Pristine transfers and original soundtracks sadly unavailable in the US on DVD (why WB continues to sit on their back catalog is anybody's guess).

BTW none of the stuff that I have (or would buy) is pirated, though pirated foreign stuff (mostly on VCDs) is also readily available in the US if one knows where to look.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: