Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » CD Burner Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: CD Burner Question
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 02:21 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Dell Inspiron 2600 Laptop with all my audio files on it. I also have a shit-ass-tic E-Machines T1150 with my internal CD burner.

I want to get the audio files burnt. Are there any options to use the desktop’s burner for the laptop’s files?

Any & all ideas would be great. My other option is too get a hold of a Zip drive & transfer everything by disk; I really don’t want to do that.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2003 02:27 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your computers have network capabilities. If they have ethernet capabilities you may be able to tie the two together and transfer the files over. Now I don't know if this will work. THis is mainly just a thought since I am not familure with the two computers you are using.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 02:39 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Laptop has a network card with ethernet capabilities but the desktop with the burner hasn't got crap; no network card & no modem capabilities (save that problem for a different night)

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2003 02:42 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And it being an E machine you probably can't add anything to it.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 02:45 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually this E Machine has extra slots, so I could add a network to it. Any idea what that would cost?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2003 02:50 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen those ethernet cards for PCI slots as low as $14.95. Surely I would think it would run you no more than $30 for a simple card. May be worth a shot. Then you could get a cable modem if you have that in your area.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2003 02:53 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if you can connect direct or not I have never tried it. You may need a router too.

John Moriarty
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 03:31 AM      Profile for John Moriarty   Email John Moriarty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem connecting two machines together (without a router/switch/hub), but you will need a crossover cable to do this. Should be available from any good supplier (same place as you get the card?). Almost certainly the cheapest practical option.

John

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 03:35 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if I have a network card in the E-Machine's & I purchase the correct cable, all will be good?

Here's another question: With the network cards installed, I can use 1 printer for the two machines?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-07-2003 03:36 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you put in a network card, don't expect it to do what you want it to do immediately. You have to install the right protocols, workgroup, and file/printer sharing. It is very simple to do, but if it is your first time you tried to do it, you will probably pull your hair out.

There are plenty of us who can step you though the steps. Be sure to have your OS disk handy though. Without it, you might be dead in the water unless there is an OS installation cab files already on your hard drive like Compoop did with their older machines. Can't say that about Emachines.

Windows 95,98, and ME are a snap to set up. But if it is XP, XP Pro, Windows 2000 Pro, or just plain NT, it can be tricky. I know very little about it, although I have been successful on my network.

However, with those OS's, some of the other FT "Heavies" will be of more help that I could be.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 04:30 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To add what Paul put here, be careful if you do have any of the XP flavors. The OS can detect if both machines were installed with the same disc. I think SRP-2 does this now. It phones home and puts a unique number on your machine based on it KEY-GEN and your hardware. Big Brother Bill is watching.

Back to the point, if you did use the same disc for the install, the machines MAY refuse to talk to each other. However, I have been known to be wrong so you may want to check this. Can anybody confirm this out there?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-07-2003 07:14 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Windows 2000 doesn't care if there are multiple machines on the network with the same license key. Apparently Windows XP does. Yuck. The only problem with Windows 2000/NT is that the SID (random number generated at install time) for each machine must be unique, which makes bit-for-bit drive cloning quite useless.

Another possiblity (which is admittedly unlikely, considering that one of the computers in question is an Emachine): if the CD burner in the desktop is SCSI, you can remove it, put it in an external SCSI box, and get a PCMCIA SCSI card for the laptop. Probably not worthwhile unless you already have the parts.

Last resort: get a null modem cable and connect the two machines over a serial link. It will be very slow, but is cheaper than a ZIP drive.

I'll put in a good word here for Taiyo Yuden CDR blanks. They're about $.25 each in bulk, which makes them a bit more expensive than the cheesy generic brands, but I've never had one fail and have never seen a drive that would not read them. I still wouldn't trust them as an archival format, but they are a reasonable compromise of cost and quality. Kodak and others sell expensive "archival" CDR blanks, but that's probably overkill for most people. I'd pick 1/4" mono or 2-track on red-oxide tape as a better archival format for music, though the cost is higher than CDR.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-07-2003 07:36 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak CDR Media:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/cdrMedia/index.jhtml

Unfortunately, with KODAK's announcement on January 24, 2002 that it is discontinuing its CD-R media products, availability of Kodak-branded product may be limited in some areas.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 08:04 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know how well you know computers, but another option is to just remove the hard drive from the e-machines one and put it in the other one. Just set the jumpers on the back as a slave and plug in the IDE cable and power supply. You may need to turn Autodetect HDD on in your BIOS but after that you should be able to do it without any major problems.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-07-2003 09:08 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I swap files between my laptop and home computer using an Ethernet crossover cable and the Microsoft Windows Networking protocol. Both machines run Windows 2000. In order for one computer to 'see' drives, folders and printers on the other you need to set them as shared (right click on a folder, then select 'sharing' and then set up the access parameters as you want them). But once you do that, it all works fine.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: